Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 11 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney (Read 5399 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 11 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Friday night: we haven't played well at night recently.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFL Rd 11 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #1
Friday night: we haven't played well at night recently.

Playing at night might be the least of our recent problems. Not confident in this game.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #2
We played the best team in the competition and I think Sydney right now is to our level and should win it.

Reply #3
I just hope we learnt something when we played them in the preseason game and don't get beaten by what we know.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #4
Unlike the Pies game where we had no chance, I think this game is 50/50. Both sides are in average form, and with our big, slow moving mids and scrubby disposal, the smaller ground should help rather than hinder us.

Reply #5
I think we’re now beyond plastering over the cracks and need something more radical to change our fortunes and more player team meetings or contrite public apologies wont change a thing.

Facts are that our defence and mids are way too slow and our free agents are a bust. McGovern, Martin & Williams have all been beyond disappointing for different reasons.

Ideas
- Mckay back, Weitering forward
- TDK into the ruck
- Kemp third tall forward
- Dow in and Walsh to the wing

SOS, MCGovern, Acres out

The 3 players above have been butchering the ball for weeks. In addition to lacking skills, SOS and Acres are just too slow, whilst McGovern has had enough time and has never prepared well enough - it’s time to move on.

Reply #6
I think we will win this easily.

I have tipped against us the past few weeks so I’m not blinded by our inadequacies at all.

To me there is something off about how they’re playing - watching the team play this year has felt like the bad old times. Last year on so many occasions I couldn’t believe my eyes on how well and skilful we played. Which to me says the skills are there, the utilisation is not.

So whatever they changed up this year, change it back quick smart and work out another way to improve our deficiencies.

Think we’ll win by 6 goals.

Reply #7
I think we’re now beyond plastering over the cracks and need something more radical to change our fortunes and more team meetings or public apologies is not going to change a thing.

Facts are that our defence and mids are way too slow and our free agents are a bust. McGovern, Acres, Martin & Williams have all been beyond disappointing for different reasons.

Ideas
- Mckay back, Weitering forward
- TDK into the ruck
- Kemp third tall
- Dow in and Walsh to the wing

SOS, MCGovern, Acres out

The 3 players above have been butchering the ball for weeks. McGovern has had enough time, time move on.

Interesting you say the three butchered the ball, I agree about previous weeks but Acres ran at 96DE% for his 25 touches (of which 24 are listed as effective) which is outstanding. Gov at 75% but only touched it 8 times (2 marks all day)and SOS at 50% for his 12 touches. It was Govs worst game for us this year I reckon. When he is not marking (or rather intercept marking) and pin pointing passes out of defence, like Weitering he is next to useless for us.
I doubt they'll give up on Gov after one poor game, our defence was abysmal for a large part of the first half yesterday. I sat on level 2 behind the goals we were defending in that first qtr and they were all over the place. Losing their man, poor handovers, mis match after mismatch the Coll fwds were licking their chops at how poor we were at maintaining structure down back (which was a strength last year). Poor old Weiters is a shadow of his former self at the minute, I really felt for him yesterday. He just panics about what to do when the ball comes near him, I could see every one of those instances unfolding at the end I was sitting at.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #8
Ball movement, moneyball kicks and small forwards having an impact is letting us down.
When ball is in dispute we do well - when we have it the method going forward is a shambles and need to improve quickly.

Reply #9
I think we will win this easily.

I have tipped against us the past few weeks so I’m not blinded by our inadequacies at all.

To me there is something off about how they’re playing - watching the team play this year has felt like the bad old times. Last year on so many occasions I couldn’t believe my eyes on how well and skilful we played. Which to me says the skills are there, the utilisation is not.

So whatever they changed up this year, change it back quick smart and work out another way to improve our deficiencies.

Think we’ll win by 6 goals.
I'm sort of with you there Mick, rather than the skills themselves, its the decision making and running patterns that are bad. Yesterday really highlighted how off the mark we are in running patterns. I commented in the post game how they run in in pairs (min) and surrounded our ball carries. Our running in groups is largely non existent and I think thats due to fear of leaving their opponent too much space in the event of a turnover. Another thing that irks me is how stationary our blokes remain when we have the ball. Get on the move quickly FFS, then turn around and look at the team mate with the ball. So often our backs are to the play. There was one instance yesterday in the reserves game where Caddy ran along the wing/HFF, gathered and centered the ball beautifully but the recipient had his back to the ball carrier and lost it in flight. We do that stuff too often in the 1s also.
If we can just tidy up this stuff, I think some results will go our way.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #10
Kemp, TDK and Dow for starters.  Maybe Binns.

Have a spell:
Hewitt
McG
Ed
And "deadly" Motlop. 

It is bewildering how far our blokes have slipped in form confidence and game structure over a PS.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #11
Out: Ed, McGovern, Weitering & Hollands
In: Dow, Kemp, TDK & Binns

SOS to play back, Dow high half fwd swapping with Kennedy and Binns for Hollands on the wing. All goes to crap, TDK and SOS swap.
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #12
More intuition and initiative being shown in this forum than a so-called "professional" club.

I knew we were in trouble when they picked Ed.  When in trouble just shuffle the same old deck chairs in the Titanic syndrome.

Memo CFC;  these blokes aren't the solution, they're the bloody problem.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #13
Out: Ed, McGovern, Weitering & Hollands
In: Dow, Kemp, TDK & Binns

SOS to play back, Dow high half fwd swapping with Kennedy and Binns for Hollands on the wing. All goes to crap, TDK and SOS swap.
If you were basing selection on form in the 2s, I think those 4 definitely deserve a crack. The small SCG will suit Dow to T in the centre. If not Binns, Moo should come in, thought he played well in the 2s also.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #14
Totally agree with others that the 3 small forwards thing is an abject failure.

Durdin, and it pains me to admit this, just doesn't look up to it too often - a weekly passenger. Out for the Fluffy Ducks game.

Motlop looks better up the field.

TDK in for JSOS. JSOS is not a threatening 3rd tall, just too slow. Time to build his tank in the Magoos as an inside mid.

Gov as the 3rd tall up forward, a Mihocek type.

Kemp for Young.

Binns for Ed.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17