Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 11 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney (Read 5413 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 11 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #15
Totally agree with others that the 3 small forwards thing is an abject failure.

Durdin, and it pains me to admit this, just doesn't look up to it too often - a weekly passenger. Out for the Fluffy Ducks game.

Motlop looks better up the field.

TDK in for JSOS. JSOS is not a threatening 3rd tall, just too slow. Time to build his tank in the Magoos as an inside mid.

Gov as the 3rd tall up forward, a Mihocek type.

Kemp for Young.

Binns for Ed.
McGovern would be an out for me, bailed out of a contest and had zero interest in putting his body on the line.
Kemp deserves his spot...Agree on Binns in....and Dow has to play.
JSOS should be our Mihocek but he has lost his know how as a forward and is next to useless in the ruck at the moment too and is a passenger.
Swans will probably have Hickey and Ladhams so I reckon TDK has to play.
Our defense is a mess with Weitering who got flogged by Mihocek and Young badly out of form ....Young has developed Plowman tendencies and is a nuffy with the ball in hand and a real liability.
Buddy is due for a good game so those two have to perform this week..

Reply #16
McGovern would be an out for me, bailed out of a contest and had zero interest in putting his body on the line.
Kemp deserves his spot...Agree on Binns in....and Dow has to play.
JSOS should be our Mihocek but he has lost his know how as a forward and is next to useless in the ruck at the moment too and is a passenger.
Swans will probably have Hickey and Ladhams so I reckon TDK has to play.
Our defense is a mess with Weitering who got flogged by Mihocek and Young badly out of form ....Young has developed Plowman tendencies and is a nuffy with the ball in hand and a real liability.
Buddy is due for a good game so those two have to perform this week..

Yes, just watched the 2nd half again and agree re Gov.

So, after watching the entire game again it's the same old same old re allowing a burst of goals from the opposition that cost us... 1st qtr, 4 unanswered goals from Rottingwood, followed by a burst of 3 unanswered goals in the 2nd.

However, we did a lot right, we actually got a hold of Rottingwood at times, just didn't capitalize and provide more/other forward options. 6.13 to 8.5 after the 1st qtr. 3.9 to 3.2 after 1/2 time. Durdin & JSOS  - passengers. Not enough from mids chipping in for goals, also.

Yep, Gov, JSOS, Durdin & Ed must be given a rest, along with young Hollands (as I said previously, just doesn't hurt the opposition enough with his possessions... lacks authority. Works hard, but that aint enough).

Our wingers are too defensive - must offer more offensive threat. Cotters suffered the 2nd game back, 'blues.'

TDK, Kemp, Binns and Cowan must come in.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #17
Yes, just watched the 2nd half again and agree re Gov.

So, after watching the entire game again it's the same old same old re allowing a burst of goals from the opposition that cost us... 1st qtr, 4 unanswered goals from Rottingwood, followed by a burst of 3 unanswered goals in the 2nd.

However, we did a lot right, we actually got a hold of Rottingwood at times, just didn't capitalize and provide more/other forward options. 6.13 to 8.5 after the 1st qtr. 3.9 to 3.2 after 1/2 time. Durdin & JSOS  - passengers. Not enough from mids chipping in for goals, also.

Yep, Gov, JSOS, Durdin & Ed must be given a rest, along with young Hollands (as I said previously, just doesn't hurt the opposition enough with his possessions... lacks authority. Works hard, but that aint enough).

Our wingers are too defensive - must offer more offensive threat. Cotters suffered the 2nd game back, 'blues.'

TDK, Kemp, Binns and Cowan must come in.
Cottrell is ok vs most midpack teams but not Collingwoods wingers/mids who are next level up. I think his future is 50/50..

Reply #18
Cottrell is ok vs most midpack teams but not Collingwoods wingers/mids who are next level up. I think his future is 50/50..
Tough to judge him from last weekend, so many players not competitive nobody can make up that gap.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
Newman Young  Kemp
Saad  Weitering  Docherty
Acres   Cripps   Walsh
Motlop McKay   Fisher
Owies   C Curnow  De Koning
Pittonet   Kennedy  Cerra
I/C Hewett  Dow  Durdin  Boyd   Sub Cottrell

Weitering last chance.
Out Gov, Silvagni, Hollands, E Curnow
In Kemp, De Koning, Fisher, Dow.

Reply #20
Sorry to say but Fisher is no where near it right now. Dow, Binns and Fogarty are well ahead of him I would have thought.

Reply #21
Fisher is a retrograde step imo, until he can find some convincing form in the VFL.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #22
If Kemp does come in, he should be banned from taking kick-ins and his team mates should avoid switching the ball to him in the back pocket. In 2 VFL games I’ve watched this year, he has chipped short passes that were easily intercepted about 30 metres out (though both set shots missed). Whether he telegraphs his intentions too much or just makes poor decisions, the problem will only get worse against AFL-level defensive pressure.

Edit: IIRC, in the last quarter, Kemp was in D50 when an opponent with the ball basically ran straight into his chest but Kemp failed to tackle him. This guy just bounced off him. Given poor kicking/decision-making and poor tackling are 2 of our glaring problems in the seniors, I’m not sure Kemp is going to help solve them.

Reply #23
I don't know how much Weitering's financial woes might be affecting him but, since the loss of Jones, he has been largely anchored on the last line and has devolved to mostly punching to spoil, which are often more effective than his kicks of late.

However, he used to be more effective at HB, using his skills and judgement as an intercept defender and kicking wisely to advantage - unlike the panicky turnovers of late.

Maybe it's time to give him a more attacking role and sacrificing someone less talented at FB.

Reply #24
Tough to judge him from last weekend, so many players not competitive nobody can make up that gap.

Struggled vs Collingwood previously and is a good Indian vs the so so teams but we need classier attacking players who can do damage similar to what the good teams do to us from the wings and we just cant carry too many negative players who dont get enough of the ball. Im over all these bit part players and want some winners....

Reply #25
I don't know how much Weitering's financial woes might be affecting him but, since the loss of Jones, he has been largely anchored on the last line and has devolved to mostly punching to spoil, which are often more effective than his kicks of late.

It would be an interesting swap for a quarter or to, Harry Mckay to CHB and Weitering to the forward line. The shake up might pull Weiters out of a form slump and certainly make the opposition think. Suspect that Harry could be sensational at CHB

Will be at game Syd. Fri night, so fingers crossed for gutsy performance our boys.
Ab

Reply #26
Im over all these bit part players and want some winners....
TPP makes it impossible to have what you want, you have to have role players who are in good form.

I'd assert there are four or five others that should be worried ahead of Cottrell, there a few who seem to never get fan mentions.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27
Name some names LP.  I am a Cottrell fan, sure he has his limitations but he is quick, elite endurance, brave, committed and versatile.  His skills have improved and he looks to spot up a teammate to advantage.

Reply #28
I will.  Blokes treading water - or going backwards fast ATM ...

Ed Durdin Motlop Hewitt MCG JSOS and....I hate to say it, Weitering.

If we're serious Ed shouldn't play again this year.  The others need to find whatever they're missing in the twos. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #29
I will.  Blokes treading water - or going backwards fast ATM ...

Ed Durdin Motlop Hewitt MCG JSOS and....I hate to say it, Weitering.

If we're serious Ed shouldn't play again this year.  The others need to find whatever they're missing in the twos. 
Agree Prof although I am almost certain Weiters issues are off field related. If we had a back up, I'm sure they would give him time away from footy to get his head/finances sorted. I'm no expert but perhaps the best thing for Jacob is to be with his mates playing the game he loves in which case, we owe it to Jacob to stick by him and help him get through this rough patch. Tough times don't last, tough people do.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time