Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 11 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney (Read 5409 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 11 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #30
Ditch three small forwards until we find the right ones that can play their role.
Bring in players whether tall or short with leg speed capable to play high half forward.

Leave Charlie, Harry and Owies in the forward 50 and patrol that space. They always get double teamed anyway

Push McGov and Kempy as high half forwards replacing Durdin and Motlop. Both capable in the air on the ground and deliver moneyball kicks they are also fast enough to apply forward 50 pressure and potentially more than Durdin and Motlop.

They should also have the tanks to block space in the corridor and push into defensive 50 when required. SOS should play as third tall defender as too slow around the ground.

Need something radical to change up this ball movement.

Reply #31
This focus on the forwards kicking or the defenders failing to work miracles is a smokescreen for the real problems, which almost exclusively emanate from our stoppage rotations.

I get we have a kid like Motlop who doesn't chase, he might one day, he does the odd cameo, but it just that a cameo, but he has time on his side if he develops the right habits, it's a big if!

For several weeks now fans have been unloading on the likes of McGovern, Weiters, Newman, Cincotta, Cowan, etc., etc. But you go back and watch the behind the goals footage it's just impossible. They are permanently isolated and outnumbered 3 or 4 to 2, the defence issues Voss talks about are not coming from our backline players, the problem comes from further up the field, we've all been saying this for seasons now but it seems it's become too uncomfortable to talk about.

Acres started with some glimmer of hope, he was deep running goal square to goal square, but he's caught the surrender bug.

Doc is about the only one left pushing deep into defence, he is probably the only one out there with a good enough excuse not to!

SoJ is a shadow of himself, confidence shattered, ........... I blame his old man!

Durdin, I've no idea what he is trying to be, the one thing he is good at he no longer does.

Cripps looks broken, many of us warned about this, the game style he played last season was brutally unsustainable.

Cerra gets lots of footy, hurts nobody!

Hewett, after making a world of difference is now behind Kennedy in the pecking order.

Walsh missed pre-season, looks rusty, works his ar5e off, probably won't improve or regain the silk much in 2023, needs a pre-season.

Pitto is playing at the best he can possibly play, we aren't going to get anymore out of him when we need a whole other gear!

It goes on and on, no point complaining about players like Ed, gave us everything he's got, if anybody expects him to blossom in some new freshly discovered role they are kidding themselves. The real crime is that we seemingly have almost nobody to replace him!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Interesting you say the three butchered the ball, I agree about previous weeks but Acres ran at 96DE% for his 25 touches (of which 24 are listed as effective) which is outstanding. Gov at 75% but only touched it 8 times (2 marks all day)and SOS at 50% for his 12 touches. It was Govs worst game for us this year I reckon. When he is not marking (or rather intercept marking) and pin pointing passes out of defence, like Weitering he is next to useless for us.
I doubt they'll give up on Gov after one poor game, our defence was abysmal for a large part of the first half yesterday. I sat on level 2 behind the goals we were defending in that first qtr and they were all over the place. Losing their man, poor handovers, mis match after mismatch the Coll fwds were licking their chops at how poor we were at maintaining structure down back (which was a strength last year). Poor old Weiters is a shadow of his former self at the minute, I really felt for him yesterday. He just panics about what to do when the ball comes near him, I could see every one of those instances unfolding at the end I was sitting at.

Fair enough re Acres, although I think he’s a list clogger
From what I’ve seen, he makes poor decisions under pressure, his kicking is unreliable (at best) and he is as slow as treacle (running and getting his boot to the ball)
Freo said he wasn’t worth the money we paid - unfortunately they have a no returns or refund policy!

Reply #33
Fair enough re Acres, although I think he’s a list clogger
From what I’ve seen, he makes poor decisions under pressure, his kicking is unreliable (at best) and he is as slow as treacle (running and getting his boot to the ball)
Freo said he wasn’t worth the money we paid - unfortunately they have a no returns or refund policy!
Kicks its 15m backwards to easy open targets, my DE% stats would be good if I did that all day......

Reply #34
We won't get anywhere until we stop replacing people and start making people better.

Paddy Dow is the key to our changing fortunes. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #35
We won't get anywhere until we stop replacing people and start making people better.

1st line makes sense

2nd line makes me depressed if true.

Reply #36
Agree with no. 1 but no. 2?? He's in the last year of his contract and the club refuses to play him at senior level so I'm sort of confused as to what you think the club will do. Are they going to have a radical change in their thinking?

Reply #37
Dow's DE is woefully inadequate. So is Eds btw.
He has little peripheral vision other than whats ahead of him and will miss the target 20 meters out 40% of the time.
It's unfortunate but expecting Dow to kick to advantage is never going to happen.

Reply #38
Townsend....can't see us going in with the 4 smalls in Fisher, Owies, Durdin and Motlop.....if 3 of them can't hit the scoreboard, one more won't make a difference....certainly not on the SCG.

Reply #39
For those that missed it, dow is the key, because he has all the attributes to be a senior footballer, and wants to play for us, refused to leave, and despite us being woeful, he can't unlock the tools to be a senior footballer.

Dow represents everything that's wrong with us.  Top draftee, capable, wanting to, yet somehow the same kid we drafted on draft day.

Thats why we aren't getting anywhere and that's why we won't get anywhere until we unlock how to take a young kid, and make him a senior footballer. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #40
For those that missed it, dow is the key, because he has all the attributes to be a senior footballer, and wants to play for us, refused to leave, and despite us being woeful, he can't unlock the tools to be a senior footballer.

Dow represents everything that's wrong with us.  Top draftee, capable, wanting to, yet somehow the same kid we drafted on draft day.

Thats why we aren't getting anywhere and that's why we won't get anywhere until we unlock how to take a young kid, and make him a senior footballer. 

Agree - but sometimes they don't make it. It happens in every draft given plenty of time and opportunities given. If they're not improving to a standard they need to be moved on. Owies and Cottrell showed remarkable improvement in their third year whereas Durdin in his third year has stalled badly - sometimes they even go backwards. rate of development is not linear and sometimes they improve as one expects them to after 3-4 years and sometimes they don't. harsh realities. Thats why club needs what Sydney has - a youth development squad.

Reply #41
Blues by 11.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #42
The more I read here, the more I think we will be a very unhappy group next week. Unless Sydney don’t turn up, it is difficult to see us win. A bad feeling in my stomach is that we haven’t bottomed out yet. This game style and zoning efforts show too many opportunities for clubs to rebound and score once we turn the ball over. We might be up in some statistics but get punished on the rebound far worse than when we pick up the ball on a turn over. Almost like a complete lack of self belief and self confidence. Terrible leadership. At ground level. A real coach killing club we are.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #43
The more I read here, the more I think we will be a very unhappy group next week. Unless Sydney don’t turn up, it is difficult to see us win. A bad feeling in my stomach is that we haven’t bottomed out yet. This game style and zoning efforts show too many opportunities for clubs to rebound and score once we turn the ball over. We might be up in some statistics but get punished on the rebound far worse than when we pick up the ball on a turn over. Almost like a complete lack of self belief and self confidence. Terrible leadership. At ground level. A real coach killing club we are.
I can't help but default to this statement in my mind every time things go south at our club. Seven coaches since our last flag, surely they all couldn't coach. Five since 2010, surely they all couldn't coach.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #44
How can a bloke get 40+ regularly at VFL, has size and pace and still not get a look in...and he didn't sook it up like a few on the list do. Sure his kicking isn't the greatest but it isn't that bad from what I've seen, and if he has it the opposition don't. 

But hey, let's keep going with a truly horrid ball user like Ed, and George, who has stunk it up this season. Chuck in "deadly" who wouldn't chase a pizza truck and we just carry the same old passengers every bloody week.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?