Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 11 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney (Read 5771 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 11 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #90
"its not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"

Says the person who has been breaking down our list to the cm for years proclaiming we need taller players ad nauseum.

Reply #91
The big thing Raydan & I discussed this morning was the fact that there is no honesty in the selection policy. If a guy in the seconds busts his guts & plays a blinder he doesn't get a promotion to the seniors even though there were 2-3 players who were woeful and deserve to be dropped.

Honesty? or Transparency??

You don't know what the 2nd's players have been told they need to work on.
As an example, the coaches know that Dow can get it 40 times. They've seen it.
Perhaps the coaches need to know that he can be accountable for his opponent too. That he can play defence.
If Dows opponent has 25 touches and goes forward and kicks 2 goals because Dow didn't transition from attack into defence well enough, then has he really played a good game?

Reply #92
Honesty? or Transparency??

You don't know what the 2nd's players have been told they need to work on.
As an example, the coaches know that Dow can get it 40 times. They've seen it.
Perhaps the coaches need to know that he can be accountable for his opponent too. That he can play defence.
If Dows opponent has 25 touches and goes forward and kicks 2 goals because Dow didn't transition from attack into defence well enough, then has he really played a good game?
None of our other mids are accountable especially the captain.....its one of the reasons our defense gets swarmed.
Why should Dow have to worry about an opponent when nobody else does apart from Ed Curnow .
Its one of the features of our play that we man up very poorly and have for years....

Reply #93
If our leaders aren't held accountable for meeting the onfield playing standards then what hope of getting others to strive to meet them?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #94
None of our other mids are accountable especially the captain.....its one of the reasons our defense gets swarmed.
Why should Dow have to worry about an opponent when nobody else does apart from Ed Curnow .
Its one of the features of our play that we man up very poorly and have for years....

Thats not quite true, but i get your point.

So the question remains, who deserves to be dropped from our midfield for Dow?
Sure a few players might not be in top form, but i think they still offer a lot more than what Dow has previously.

Reply #95
Must admit that the prospect of Dow being selected does not fill me with great anticipation.  I can't remember the last time he impressed in the seniors.  I haven't seen him in the VFL but reports certainly aren't encouraging.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #96
If the root of our current predicament is that our mids are unaccountable, why would you bring in another unaccountable mid? Wouldn’t it make more sense to bring in an accountable mid?

Reply #97
If the root of our current predicament is that our mids are unaccountable, why would you bring in another unaccountable mid? Wouldn’t it make more sense to bring in an accountable mid?

Thats makes sense.
You'd have better luck finding a unicorn on our list though.

Reply #98
Thats makes sense.
You'd have better luck finding a unicorn on our list though.

It's probably a problem
To little 'difference' or 'variation' in our list.

Reply #99
Given the club website article you might find Akuei getting a run, usually these things follow a pattern.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #100
Given the club website article you might find Akuei getting a run, usually these things follow a pattern.

The last game I saw him play was chalk and cheese to previous efforts.
He showed a lot more confidence.
But Gee, he's still a mile off it.
I'm not sure of his contract status (cat B rookie) but hopefully we can keep him for another year of development.
The article suggests we might.

Reply #101
Given the club website article you might find Akuei getting a run, usually these things follow a pattern.
Youth, exuberance, rawness, might be a good injection to our group to create some excitement. Take the reigns off him, no hard tasks, just say to him chase it and go, do whatever comes into your head.
You need abit of the unstructured madness sometimes.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #102
I'd drop Hewitt and Ed for Dow to answer your question.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #103
I'm not sure of his contract status (cat B rookie) but hopefully we can keep him for another year of development.
The Mid-Season Draft is coming.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #104
Unless he can get the unforced errors out of his game, playing him as an intercept defender might not do wonders for his development. We have difficulty working the ball out of forward presses as it is. We don’t want to be handing the ball back or resorting to less challenging sideways or backward kicks. Once we’re out of finals contention, by all means play the kids.

If he plays and shows he can distribute well by foot after intercepting, then I’ll jump on the bandwagon quite happily.
Weitering is our best intercept defender but he is also our best defender against the opposition's best tall forward - I would like to see him used as an intercept defender.