Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 11 2023 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Sydney (Read 4976 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 11 2023 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #45
Reckon we have to do it different and stick with Voss and start looking at whats around him in terms of assistant coaches, footy managers and list managers. Hardwick had great support staff that helped save his job, they had Balme, got a decent recruiter in Hartley and had the right assistants, no more panic and sack the coach but Id be sacking some players at years end.

I'm in the same camp regards Vossy. I'd like to see him have some help with oppo analysis, ream selection, and gameday tactics.

I hadn't tipped us since WC, but really thought we'd strape in a win tonight. How wrong I was. There are no excuses that I can see.

Centre clearances, unacceptable goalkicking, and totally inadequate i50 pressure are not new problems. It's r11 and the fundamentals aren't being applied with the consistency AFL demands. Against a similarly placed team with an injury hit defence we kicked 6 goals!! That defies belief.

Worse still, but in keeping with inconsistency, for the 2nd week running we kicked 1 goal or less in a half of football. We've got 2 Coleman medallists ffs. Oh and how were the very gettable shots by H on one side and Owies on the other ootf 😳

I wish I wasn't a passionate supporter because I think I'd have had a good laugh tonight. Strangely I don't think all is lost. The effort is there. The skills are deplorable atm, which negates connection. Both can improve with confidence.

Can't believe I'm saying this... My instinct is that we need to stick fat.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #46
Really is hard to believe that every individual at this once great club actually get paid for whatever it is they do. Players can't dispose of the ball to an AFL standard. "Coaches" cannot improve on the skills that said players are delivering. those same "coaches" can't formulate an effective game plan to suit the players. Administrators consistently fail on recruitment of players to fill deficiencies within our structure. They all just live inside the 4 walls with an oblivious attitude to those who are the heart and soul of a football club. The supporters. They get money to put us through this torture, year after year. Are they sadists or are we masochists or is it a combination of both? Anyway think I'll give this site a rest for a week as I'm rambling. I think I've lost my mind

I hear you. Lots of us in the same boat.
Take care. It's a tough gig being a Bluebagger.
Henry Ford.

Reply #47
They went the bomb approach because the Swans had no talls down back...but the expectation was that Harry and Charlie might be able to get some through the big sticks and TDK might be able to make a few stick in his hands but alas no cigar on any of those expectations.

Expectations aren't the basis for a game plan. That's part of our problem IMO. We expect things to happen. While we watch it unfold, we get caught out, well watching. Instead of playing what's in front of us.

When expectations go belly up, we're too slow, physically and mentally, to stem the opposition's rebound. Or we fumble our way around until we eventually turn it over. That's what's so excruciating to watch. Second only, to a set shot at goal.
Henry Ford.

Reply #48
Really is hard to believe that every individual at this once great club actually get paid for whatever it is they do. Players can't dispose of the ball to an AFL standard. "Coaches" cannot improve on the skills that said players are delivering. those same "coaches" can't formulate an effective game plan to suit the players. Administrators consistently fail on recruitment of players to fill deficiencies within our structure. They all just live inside the 4 walls with an oblivious attitude to those who are the heart and soul of a football club. The supporters. They get money to put us through this torture, year after year. Are they sadists or are we masochists or is it a combination of both? Anyway think I'll give this site a rest for a week as I'm rambling. I think I've lost my mind
Chin up Rocko, its just a game mate. You haven't lost your mind, you articulated everything perfectly.
Over to you Carlton Football Club.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #49
Looks like 3, 4 or 5 forced changes to injury, might be a good thing
Cripps -> Dow
Hollands -> Binns
Kennedy -> Dare I say it Fisher
Hewett ->  Forgarty
Newman -> Cincotta
Sounds like the only positive was a small step in the right direction for Weiters. Holding Franklin goal less at the SCG is not mean feat, well dont you man.
What to do about Harry? Needs to be dropped, just in horrible form, 0g 3b and one OOTF that I saw is completely unacceptable.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #50
The more this this season spirals out of control, the more I look at our list and think how many players are safe/untouchable.
Do yourselves a favour, dont do it after a loss.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #51
I wonder why I believed this year was going to be different from so many disappointments in the past.

After all, since the rebuild began, and with it the turnover of numerous players in the list, recruiters have stuck steadfastly to the task of selecting players lacking in the skills necessary to get us to challenge for a top 8 position.

In addition, there has also been a percentage of positions left on the list for the selection of physically fragile players who have helped to clog the list.

Recruiting in this way has ensured that no matter who the coach is he will have to coach 'the Carlton way', that is to say, bomb the ball long into the forward line - the higher the elevation the better.

Playing  'the Carlton way' also ensures that the opposition will hurt us more on turnovers than we hurt them so that by the time the final quarter starts our team will be stuffed mentally and physically.

I don't know how this will change.  I just know that I'm over it.

Reply #52
Looks like 3, 4 or 5 forced changes to injury, might be a good thing
Cripps -> Dow
Hollands -> Binns
Kennedy -> Dare I say it Fisher
Hewett ->  Forgarty
Newman -> Cincotta
Sounds like the only positive was a small step in the right direction for Weiters. Holding Franklin goal less at the SCG is not mean feat, well dont you man.
What to do about Harry? Needs to be dropped, just in horrible form, 0g 3b and one OOTF that I saw is completely unacceptable.

Possibly 6 if Cez (I think) tackle on Hickey gets a week off. Shame if he does, he's been one of few playing with some consistency and confidence.

Weiters looked much more himself tonight. That’s a great sign for our defence.

Cottrell was consistent. Walsh is finding some form. We all said young Hollands needed a rest a week or two ago. Now he's injured his shoulder. Poor kid, belted from pillar to post.

Also thought Blacres had a better game and Motlop looked dangerous at times. Charlie was great further up the ground. Only he had a stinker kicking for goal.
Henry Ford.

Reply #53
Possibly 6 if Cez (I think) tackle on Hickey gets a week off. Shame if he does, he's been one of few playing with some consistency and confidence.

Weiters looked much more himself tonight. That’s a great sign for our defence.

Cottrell was consistent. Walsh is finding some form. We all said young Hollands needed a rest a week or two ago. Now he's injured his shoulder. Poor kid, belted from pillar to post.

Also thought Blacres had a better game and Motlop looked dangerous at times. Charlie was great further up the ground. Only he had a stinker kicking for goal.
I wonder if Charlie's goal kicking suffers when he is fatigued using up petrol tickets running up and down the ground? Anyway, he supposedly has a big engine so shouldn't be an issue.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #54
That game was won and lost in the front half and in front of the big sticks.

And Buddy looks totally shot.

Reply #55
....in the cold light of day
Things often don't seem so bad after a bit of sleep and a bit of reflection.

Nah
They're bad.
We have some huge problems.
Some of them obvious, and others I suspect are bubbling along under the surface.
We've signed some blokes on long term deals but the question is are they the ones to take us forward.

When was the last time we did a review of the football department.
Oh right!
Change the coach?, done that...ad nauseam!
Rebuilt the list?
Done that!
New CEO?...yep, tick.

I'm not sure what's left but I suspect it means some more turmoil in the short term.
We often look to the 'messiah' on field or in the coaching ranks.
We've even sought one out at CEO level....but he's already planning his departure and succession (100 games I think was his time frame, so he's nearly half way through) but what he had to say at a presser early in his tenure rings pretty true to our situation just at the moment.

Q: Have we got the right mix of players and staff now to move forward: is there a synergy in place?

Cook: It takes time to build synergy. ‘Was there a synergy in place’ — I can’t answer that. But we do need to develop a really close DNA. The answer is ‘let’s work on it’. My philosophy to running football clubs is you need to be team-driven and it’s all about numbers of teams - whether it be your marketing team, your football team, your backline - who have to work together. It’s very important that, as leaders, we have to be really good at leading teams. It’s not just about just individuals.

Reply #56
That game was won and lost in the front half and in front of the big sticks.

And Buddy looks totally shot.

I thought we were better than the last 2 weeks. Sydney are used to playing on the auskick sized field and have been historically a much better team at home.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #57
I thought we were better than the last 2 weeks. Sydney are used to playing on the auskick sized field and have been historically a much better team at home.

Yes I agree. The signs were better. Some early scoreboard pressure via straight kicking would've made a big difference.

If I was Voss, I would have gone hard at winning the centre clearances (we lost 13-7). On that field, one kick out of the centre square and you're having a shot for goal - which we would have fluffed anyway.........Oh well.

We will eventually get off the current Navy Blue hamster wheel.

Reply #58
Yep,
They usually play the ground very well  but...
They're 1 W (Hawthorn) and 3 losses (albeit close) at the SCG this year.
They have some significant injuries.
In general play we may have been a bit better, but the finishing is going backwards at an alarming rate.
McKay is mentally shot as far as confidence kicking for goal and that seems to be filtering through to others....and we've come out of the game with some injuries that will cause us some grief at selection next week.
We're not in great shape.

Reply #59
The injuries are a positive.

They force the change we couldn't otherwise make.  Whilst they're not world beaters, guys like dow, fisher and fogarty are going to get a shot in the midfield and o brien might get his chance on the wing again. He'll silvagni might play as a rover for a bit.

The cupboard is a bit bare at the moment but it means things will be a bit different.  Now we'll see what else we can try.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson