Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 11 2023 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Sydney (Read 4983 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 11 2023 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #135
Before we go making wholesale changes to the list, I'd be leaving no stone unturned trying to get the mental aspects sorted out. The Richmond boys have waxed lyrical about Emma Murray, the Tigers current / former? sports psychologist, who they credit as having a big impact on their success.

Well said, Pauly. Emma understood how warriors need to be warriors but need that 'something' that created unity of purpose, a clearly defined common cause. Singing from the same hymn book.

Our 'head space' is all over the shop... consequence? No confidence, second guessing each other, cautious, individual.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #136
Indeed. The whole is more than the sum of its parts.

My guess of the mystery component has something to do with fun. When there's a sort of harmony within the club. So that all individuals feel safe, valued, and strongly committed to the greater good. Where all individuals are well matched to their very clear goals. Where performance is reviewed regularly with transparency, learning focus, and clear process forward.

Of course the bringing together of those individuals is the most important process of all. Ok. I'm just dreaming now. Guess that's my way of coping with another disappointment 😞

Go Blues

Love this, LN.

Whoever is in charge of our between the lugholes stuff is failing, badly, to unite and create a team dynamic. Probably doing well in the creation of model citizens, but failing to bring forth the bold warrior within each, wanting and willing to really hurt for his mates.

Mentally, we're a dog's breakfast. No shared team clarity of purpose, leadership, discipline and ruthlessness.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #137
What was better this week.

Weiters and McGovern worked well in the absence of Young, there was little confusion and the pair had 9 and 7 intercepts respectively, they basically kept us in the game. I thought Kemp was OK despite a couple of clangers. We've been stating we need better efficiency and McGovern went at 89% DE.

Despite kicking for goal like crap Charlie has a night out with contested marks against reasonable opposition, he's in good form and just needs to keep working hard and he'll have another day out soon.

Acres and Cerra were better this week, although Cerra might have a week off, that aggression is exactly what we need. We need some aggression directed at opponents not just the pill, we can't play 100% of footy as the hunted, we have to do some of our own hunting! I think Cerra's defensive work / pressure was his best all season.

Cottrell's best game for the season, perhaps his best game for the club!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #138

Weiters and McGovern worked well in the absence of Young, there was little confusion and the pair had 9 and 7 intercepts respectively, they basically kept us in the game. I thought Kemp was OK despite a couple of clangers. We be saying we need better efficiency and McGovern went at 89% DE.

Despite kicking for goal like crap Charlie has a night out with contested marks against reasonable opposition, he's in good form and just needs to keep working hard and he'll have another day out soon.

Acres and Cerra were better this week, although Cerra might have a week off, that aggression is exactly what we need. We need some aggression directed at opponents not just the pill, we can't play 100% of footy as the hunted, we have to do some of our own hunting!

Interesting, I can't really comment as I didn't watch the first 3 qtrs. I'm basing my thoughts on what I saw in the last and game stats. I saw the game was close until the end where the Swans blew it away at the but we had chances to hit the front and win in the last. A loss is a loss and comments on this forum, others like it and in the media tell the story. Our season is all but over and the repercussions are unknown at this stage.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #139
Interesting, I can't really comment as I didn't watch the first 3 qtrs. I'm basing my thoughts on what I saw in the last and game stats. I saw the game was close until the end where the Swans blew it away at the but we had chances to hit the front and win in the last. A loss is a loss and comments on this forum, others like it and in the media tell the story. Our season is all but over and the repercussions are unknown at this stage.
We basically had only one left on the bench for the last 35mins of the game, and Kennedy and Cripps went back on carrying injuries, this came after the relatively early loss of Hewett.

We basically run out of legs, we could only use 60 of our 75 interhcanges.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #140
We basically had only one left on the bench for the last 35mins of the game, and Kennedy and Cripps went back on carrying injuries, this came after the relatively early loss of Hewett.

We basically run out of legs, we could only use 60 of our 75 interhcanges.

Yes I saw that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #141
Yes I saw that.
We'll before that it was a real arm wrestle, we were behind primarily due to poor kicking, you must have missed the three complete misses all from I50.

Last night we made Casboult look reliable! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #142

Weiters and McGovern worked well in the absence of Young, there was little confusion and the pair had 9 and 7 intercepts respectively, they basically kept us in the game. I thought Kemp was OK despite a couple of clangers. We be saying we need better efficiency and McGovern went at 89% DE.

Acres and Cerra were better this week, although Cerra might have a week off, that aggression is exactly what we need. We need some aggression directed at opponents not just the pill, we can't play 100% of footy as the hunted, we have to do some of our own hunting! I think Cerra's defensive work / pressure was his best all season.

Dont think Charlie had reasonable opposition ...they had all their tall defenders all out concussed or injured and started with that spud from Essendon in Aaron Francis on Charlie. Then they seemed to rotate to play team defense with Melican and Fox trying to be second man up in contests but were just outsized. We should have made more of their deficiencies but as we well know couldnt convert even when we did mark the ball. Their plan was to get the ball to ground and release Blakey down back and he just ripped us a new one as we didnt have anyone who could run with him....

Reply #143
Dont think Charlie had reasonable opposition ...they had all their tall defenders all out concussed or injured and started with that spud from Essendon in Aaron Francis on Charlie.
Fairs fair @ElwoodBlues1 Blakey was involved in a few of those contests that Charlie marked, and despite what you think of Francis he's still a much bigger heavier body than Charlie, and Francis was getting plenty of assistance.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #144
Love this, LN.

Whoever is in charge of our between the lugholes stuff is failing, badly, to unite and create a team dynamic. Probably doing well in the creation of model citizens, but failing to bring forth the bold warrior within each, wanting and willing to really hurt for his mates.

Mentally, we're a dog's breakfast. No shared team clarity of purpose, leadership, discipline and ruthlessness.

Tarah Kavanagh has been our sports psychologist for some time. She also maintains a role in academia. Not sure if she's still with us though.

Here's an interesting read for you 😉
Who'd have thunk!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/doesn-t-have-to-be-the-difference-why-cripps-and-the-blues-are-prospering-in-2022-20220510-p5ajx0.html
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #145
Fairs fair @ElwoodBlues1 Blakey was involved in a few of those contests that Charlie marked, and despite what you think of Francis he's still a much bigger heavier body than Charlie, and Francis was getting plenty of assistance.

Francis is smaller by 1cm and lighter by a couple of kg according to the stats I read but is a complete spud and we should have fed Charlie like a baby and watched him do the rest but it didnt seem to matter as neither Charlie or Harry could convert and given we play with irrelevant small forwards and no goals from our mids we were toothless and just watched the ball being carried back to their forward line. I probably would have moved McGovern forward who was marking ok  and told Harry to get out of the road....

Reply #146
Cerra has a week off.
Could force up to 6 changes
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #147
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/05/27/ive-become-extremely-frustrated-former-carlton-star-slams-club-questions/

You can forget about discerning any game style when your disposal is so iffy. I take you back to 2014, when Paul Roos was coaching Melbourne :

https://www.afl.com.au/news/443427/im-embarrassed-says-roos

Despite kicking just three goals (from 19 scoring shots), Roos said he wished fixing the problem was as easy as changing the game plan.

"I wish it was that simple ... [if it was] I'd happily change [the game plan]. You are assessing yourself as a coach all the time, there is no question, but just the simple errors ... just incredible," Roos said. 

"If you have got an inability to hit targets, it's really hard to implement a game plan because you just can't execute the most basic skills."

Food for thought.

Reply #148
Indeed. The whole is more than the sum of its parts.

My guess of the mystery component has something to do with fun. When there's a sort of harmony within the club. So that all individuals feel safe, valued, and strongly committed to the greater good. Where all individuals are well matched to their very clear goals. Where performance is reviewed regularly with transparency, learning focus, and clear process
Kumbaya  :P
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #149
After losing last night & the Suns rolling the Dogs tonight, we have slumped to 13th on the ladder.

If the Tiges happen to defeat Port tomorrow, we will drop another rung down to 14th.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"