Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 12 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 6062 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 12 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #150
Of all the 'ins' Lewis Young seems to be the most forunate based on last week's effort......but he has height, dare I say '2nd ruck height'.  ithink you'll see Young play second banana and spend some time up forward.  He may even simply shadow Grundy and go with him the whole night.

Reply #151
Of all the 'ins' Lewis Young seems to be the most forunate based on last week's effort......but he has height, dare I say '2nd ruck height'.  ithink you'll see Young play second banana and spend some time up forward.  He may even simply shadow Grundy and go with him the whole night.

Yep, I hope it's Young doing the 2nd Ruck stuff and leaving SoJ to be part of the KPF lead-up rotation.

For me if we want a 2nd ruck to trail around behind Gawn of Grundy then Young is the right player for the job.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #152
He will want to be a lot more physical and competitive than he has been in previous games .
A Grasshopper with arthritis would have more presence than he has shown recently...

Reply #153
A Grasshopper with arthritis would have more presence than he has shown recently...
Yep, I wonder if he is carrying an injury.

I don't recall his early games at Carlton lacking physical presence, but lately he's looked outright timid.

How much might be psychology versus health and fitness?

fwiw, I've thought as much about Cripps, he has not looked 100% all season, which is my main reason to ask him to consider the captaincy, so he can manage his body better under the huge physical load he puts it through. As a leader, the best thing he might do for the team is have a week or so off! But he won't do it while he is captain, it's not in his DNA to leave his comrades stranded on the front line!

But back to the topic on hand, it's almost a career defining moment for Young and SoJ, they can look at it as a 2nd chance, if they let it slip they may never get a 3rd!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #154
Dow to be named as sub apparently
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #155

Yep, I wonder if he is carrying an injury.

I don't recall his early games at Carlton lacking physical presence, but lately he's looked outright timid.

How much might be psychology versus health and fitness?

fwiw, I've thought as much about Cripps, he has not looked 100% all season, which is my main reason to ask him to consider the captaincy, so he can manage his body better under the huge physical load he puts it through. As a leader, the best thing he might do for the team is have a week or so off! But he won't do it while he is captain, it's not in his DNA to leave his comrades stranded on the front line!

But back to the topic on hand, it's almost a career defining moment for Young and SoJ, they can look at it as a 2nd chance, if they let it slip they may never get a 3rd!
Cripps looks frustrated as much as anything  like he cant be bothered if he loses the initial contest and his opponent gets the ball.
Doesnt seem as keen to run forward and present as a target like he did last season, not sure if thats just him or part of the game plan.

Reply #156
Cripps looks frustrated as much as anything  like he cant be bothered if he loses the initial contest and his opponent gets the ball.
Doesnt seem as keen to run forward and present as a target like he did last season, not sure if thats just him or part of the game plan.

Last year it worked for Cripps because he was basically told he didn't need to chase and teammates were covering for him.
This was made easier by the amount of time he spent forward.

This year his forward work, ie kicking for goal, has been very average and we are playing a very tall side, so the luxury of him going forward ends up hurting us up forward, and through the midfield.

I know you've seen my suggestion of giving Harry a week off and letting Kennedy/Cripps sharing forward duties to mix things up. Obviously with all our outs from last week, its far from an ideal week to try it, but its something we should look into more.

Personally, even with the injuries, i would've given Cripps the week off and played Dow for a full game.

Reply #157
If that is his stock standard ability, it beggars belief as to why we drafted him in the first place !!

I agree.

The debate is always recruiting vs development and it's hard to say in this case.

No doubt Dow played his best and fairly decent football under Bolton.

The flip side is, silvagni has many many misses for 2 clubs.  Let's see what he does at saints.

Is it the chicken or the egg?

Reply #158
This is my concern, as a inside stoppage player he wins heaps of footy and gets involved in chains of play, but he burns a huge percentage of the ball he uses.

It's an area of the game we are already deplorable at, which makes me question whether or not Dow can ever be selected as an upgrade on what we already have! He won't win more inside footy than Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra or Kennedy, and at his best Dow balls use is no more than equal the worst of them.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but that is what I see.

Fwiw, to be fair to Dow, SoJ got a lot of footy in his VFL appearance and burned just as much of it.

The bodgy ball use is a plague cutting through the club like case of the clap!
Silvagni had an absolute shocker last week.  The amount of dropped marks  fumbling etc was embarrassing.   He wouldn't of been picked if everyone was healthy.   We need to move on from this type of c/d grade " tryer"

It's actually laughable how much latitude he gets in the media , based on his surname.

Reply #159
Last year it worked for Cripps because he was basically told he didn't need to chase and teammates were covering for him.
This was made easier by the amount of time he spent forward.

This year his forward work, ie kicking for goal, has been very average and we are playing a very tall side, so the luxury of him going forward ends up hurting us up forward, and through the midfield.

I know you've seen my suggestion of giving Harry a week off and letting Kennedy/Cripps sharing forward duties to mix things up. Obviously with all our outs from last week, its far from an ideal week to try it, but its something we should look into more.

Personally, even with the injuries, i would've given Cripps the week off and played Dow for a full game.
Id use Kennedy as a target up forward in a full time role and play Dow as a FT mid...Jack wouldnt have played this week if I was on the MC. Did see your idea on Harry and I like lateral thinking but I'm looking at Melbourne without Petty this week and thinking I'm going to give Harry one more chance to atone for his previous inconsistencies and try and exploit Melbourne being shorter down back and force May and Lever to play on a man rather than just intercept and rebound..

Reply #160
Word is Doc out, Dow into 22

Reply #161

It's floating on a couple of facebook pages....treat it with care and wait for something official. They might be feeding off one another.

Reply #162
Backs well and truly against the wall if true.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #163
Backs well and truly against the wall if true.
Good Carlton teams would love it and respond accordingly......big stage, everything going against us and maligned players everywhere. This is where you find out who can play and fight harder.

Reply #164
Interesting from fb. Unsure if accurate, but Dow's DE at 68 this year isn't what I expected based on the commentary.

AFL round 12: Melbourne v Carlton, latest scores, team news
Paddy Dow is expected to get a chance to prove himself on the big stage tonight when Carlton face Melbourne at the MCG. (Jay Clark Herald Sun)

Carlton fringe midfielder Paddy Dow is expected to be named as the Blues’ substitute for Friday night’s clash against Melbourne.

Dow, 23, was named as an emergency for the mist-win game but is expected to be named as the sub one hour before the bounce.

The ballwinner has been prolific in the VFL this year but was surprisingly overlooked when Carlton named its starting 22 to face the Demons at the MCG.

Carlton brought in five players for the game, including Lochie O’Brien and Zac Fisher, after the Blues were hard-hit by injury in the loss to Sydney Swans last weekend.

It is widely expected Dow, who has not played a game so far this season, will seek a fresh start at a new club at season’s end.

St Kilda is interested in adding Dow, as well as Carlton big man Tom De Koning and Port Adelaide defender Miles Bergman.

Dow was taken pick three in the 2017 national draft by former Carlton list boss Stephen Silvagni who has since taken over as Saints’ list chief.

PADDY DOW'S 2023 VFL SEASON
Games: 9

AVERAGES

Disposals: 31.7

Ranking points: 122

Disposal efficiency: 68.4%

Inside 50s: 6.2

Contested possessions: 15.7

Marks: 3.9

Clearances: 8

Score involvements: 7.6

Tackles: 4.6   (SB)