Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 12 Post Game Passing Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 3998 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 12 Post Game Passing Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #105
At his media conference, Vossy mentioned that we were too safe and that when we took some risks and went through the middle we looked much better.

So... who's in charge of our attitude to games? Who's responsible for us playing too safe?

I watched the game again this morning. Perplexed. Not sure I would say we played safe... more like 'unsure.' And I think unsure comes before 'safe'... safe is more a symptom of something else. Confused? Unsure? Lack of confidence = Unsure? Game plan too complex?

Liked the games of those who did appear to attempt at least to 'take the game on' - H, Kemp, Cincotta, Cerra & even Acres. Thought TDK, Saad, Boyd (kept a pretty tight rein on Pickett), Weiters and Kennedy were good. Cottrell & Owies below par. Crippa was serviceable but sure does seem 'out of sorts.'

But no matter how you look at it - individualistic/fragmented.

It's a tough one because yo can see what the coaching group is trying to do and we were playing like garbage pre season and belted by Swans.

Emphasis is placed on defence first - defensive minded tough football and looking at goals against for this season I think the coaching group has got this part of the game pretty much where they would like it.

Maybe too much emphasis is placed on defence to the detriment of other phases of the game but in reality we just don't have the skillset nor the players to impact forward of center consistently other than Charlie and Harry.

It feels like the team is running out with 14-13 players as some players are simply not pulling their weight.

Reply #106
It's a tough one because yo can see what the coaching group is trying to do and we were playing like garbage pre season and belted by Swans.

Emphasis is placed on defence first - defensive minded tough football and looking at goals against for this season I think the coaching group has got this part of the game pretty much where they would like it.

Maybe too much emphasis is placed on defence to the detriment of other phases of the game but in reality we just don't have the skillset nor the players to impact forward of center consistently other than Charlie and Harry.

It feels like the team is running out with 14-13 players as some players are simply not pulling their weight.

Spot on. We have shown  very little in the way of composure or flair in the forward half of the ground, especially in F50. We fumble around and can't put the score on the board, giving the opposition  opportunity after opportunity to set up their attacks and catch us on the hop.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #107
Thought Saad has been off the boil and hasnt handled the tagging that well and his numbers are down and its been hurting us badly. That Crows game with Keays employed as a minder seems to have woken other teams up on how to play him and we need to free him up more.
TDk's ruckwork was ok but he didnt do much around the ground and poor Jack had a shocker and looks miserable imho.
Cripps looks like he has a few things on his mind and maybe its time to for him to relinquish the captains role and ease the pressure. Walsh is another who is trying very hard but seems under pressure all the time and his kicking lacks penetration over a distance so he wants to go short all the time.

Re Walsh it maybe his back injury still troubling him. I think Crippa had the same issue a couple of years ago. And Hewett has not being the same as last year after his back injury.

Reply #108
Re Walsh it maybe his back injury still troubling him.
No player, no matter how good they are, can escape suffering some consequences of missing the pre-season.

I was astounded how well Walsh resumed in 2023, it shows how professional he is, but even so he'll be below his best which should be encouraging for our fans and worrisome for the opposition!

The margins in AFL are small, it's just 1/2 a step here or there and you are either pegged or set free!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #109
Coaches' votes :

10 Christian Petracca (MELB)
8 Steven May (MELB)
5 Jake Lever (MELB)
4 Ed Langdon (MELB)
2 Harry McKay (CARL)
1 Jacob Weitering (CARL)