Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 12 Post Game Passing Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 4067 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 12 Post Game Passing Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #45
Need a player like Fritsch who can be that reliable creative inbetween sized forward rather than just have all talls(Charlie and Harry) and all smalls(Motlop, Owies etc) given our smalls have zero marking ability and dont get much ground ball.

I agree in principle but Fritsch missed a couple of sodas last night and can be a bit too selfish at times imo. He does definitely impact though, especially when games are in the balance.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #46
Voss has us playing a safe slow wide gameplan which typically is used when coaches don’t trust they teams ball use see their as having major holes and lacking leg speed. This gameplan reduces mistakes and keep the opposition to as low a score as possible. Even if we snare a win It’s awful to watch. He knows we are slow and can get caught badly on turnovers esp thru the middle so we only dare go there when the game is pretty much over and have nothing to lose. There is no flair no exciting passages of play. Boring and frustrating for fans to watch a list that is supposed to be deeply entrenched in finals this year play this sort of brand.

Haven’t even hit the bye and finals are now gone and we may finish the season just a few positions above the basket case teams.

I’ve finally now lost the passion I had and don’t get anywhere near as annoyed when we lose cause i fully expect it now.  I still love my club and always will but I now have accepted this rebuild is a fail and the current list will not be successful in any sense of the word. Worst part is the players think the same and play accordingly. 

Reply #47
Voss has us playing a safe slow wide gameplan which typically is used when coaches don’t trust they teams ball use see their as having major holes and lacking leg speed. This gameplan reduces mistakes and keep the opposition to as low a score as possible. Even if we snare a win It’s awful to watch. He knows we are slow and can get caught badly on turnovers esp thru the middle so we only dare go there when the game is pretty much over and have nothing to lose. There is no flair no exciting passages of play. Boring and frustrating for fans to watch a list that is supposed to be deeply entrenched in finals this year play this sort of brand.

Haven’t even hit the bye and finals are now gone and we may finish the season just a few positions above the basket case teams.

I’ve finally now lost the passion I had and don’t get anywhere near as annoyed when we lose cause i fully expect it now.  I still love my club and always will but I now have accepted this rebuild is a fail and the current list will not be successful in any sense of the word. Worst part is the players think the same and play accordingly.

This is unfortunately an accurate assessment of the situation imo.  I now feel that each game is an exercise in futility and am resigned to feeling that there is no visible way out of the present wilderness.  The club just looks lost.

Reply #48
I agree in principle but Fritsch missed a couple of sodas last night and can be a bit too selfish at times imo. He does definitely impact though, especially when games are in the balance.
Plays well in big games eg GF and is usually a good kick.
For a VFL player who cost nothing he was a great pickup and I agree can be selfish but good forwards usually are.

Reply #49
Just a bit to lighten the mood... ;D
A couple of weeks ago DeKoning kicked the ball the wrong way in the VFL game against Williamstown

I'd have to see it again, and it might be hard to find because I'm not even sure what quarter it happened, but....
I think he almost did it again last night before correcting himself and heading back to the right side of the mark.

Reply #50
Plays well in big games eg GF and is usually a good kick.
For a VFL player who cost nothing he was a great pickup and I agree can be selfish but good forwards usually are.

Great recruiting!

Reply #51
I thought TdK tried his guts out and really took a step forwards. That has to be the minimum effort every week
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #52
8 more wins may get us finals.  On paper it's doable beating everyone we think we can beat (gold coast twice, essendon, gws again, hawthorn, St. Kilda, one of Melbourne, Collingwood, freo or Port adelaide and I forget the rest but 8 wins is very doable based on our run home) but the way we are currently performing makes it seem unlikely.   Thing is form can turn pretty fast and I really hope we are in conservation mods until the second half of the year.  Finals isn't done and dusted for us yet so I wouldn't be giving up on that just yet but the next two weeks have become really crucial.

Regarding our play, we have lost some of that excitement and dare but im convinced that's got to do more with our overall list health because the boys seem to want to go but seem incapable rather than anything else.

It can turnaround, we need to scrape a win against the bombers, and then get up over GC before the bye and then get rolling afterwards.  Very doable.  Only team I really fear in our run home is Port adelaide but unfortunately I've lost trust in us to be able to do it.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #53
We play like a side that has great effort, commitment and passion for... minimizing the losing margin.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #54
I think it will probably take 14 wins to make finals, Thry.
We have an extra game this season so play 23 games per club.

Reply #55

Problem will be what's to come with our cap locked in with big contracts giving us no wriggle room to bring in top players and rebuilding teams like Hawthorn, Nth etc improving and passing us. It's actually a serious concern and requires more than sacking the coach as a solution...

Reply #56
I think it will probably take 14 wins to make finals, Thry.
thats not the point though lods.  With 8 wins we are still a moon shot of making it.  It will put us on 12.5 wins.  Also I just checked ladders going back at least 5 seasons.  You haven't needed more than 12 wins to make finals any year going back to 2018.  Why is this year going to need 14 wins to make it?

No point just giving it up, from here the boys dig deep or we play more developing talent and try push for it.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #57
Problem will be what's to come with our cap locked in with big contracts giving us no wriggle room to bring in top players and rebuilding teams like Hawthorn, Nth etc improving and passing us. It's actually a serious concern and requires more than sacking the coach as a solution...

Agree. I would not at all be surprised to see a similar off-season trade period to pies had a few years back which at the time had supporters reeling yet now looks like a genius stroke. We will try and same but probably not get the turn in performance they did.

Reckon at least 2 of the bigger names may just be quietly shopped around to see what we can get. Desperately need leg speed imo and ball use and can’t get any quick fix when we have room in the cap. Room will have to be made one way or another.

Reply #58
Finals are gone gents. Our list our form will not turnaround overnight. We had opportunities in the last month to show even just once in one of the games what we can do and despite trying we just don’t have it. Never looked likely in any of those do or die games and the club would have know how much we needed a few wins in that batch and not getting it done has closed any confidence the side has. They now know they are not good enough still.

Swans game was the same as the crows one last year - that one determined our fate.

Reply #59
It's important to bear in mind that one of the few pieces of the Teague review that was made public was the fact that he focussed too much on offence and not enough on defence. Clearly Voss was brought in to rectify that, and one way of achieving that is to play safe, keepings off and deny the opposition the ball. I can see the logic, and I can also see that he is trying to get the boys to understand the mood of the game at particular moments, when to run and gun and when to go safe. Voss is following the standard and in vogue coaching mantra of wanting us to be a "team that is hard to play against" and wanting to build from a solid base of contest and defence. Clearly we're a good way away from implementing that consistently.