Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2023 Rd 11: Carlton vs Frankston at Ikon Park (Read 2172 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2023 Rd 11: Carlton vs Frankston at Ikon Park

Reply #15
Jack Martin fit and firing is what we need.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #16
Its usually one or the other but never both or for very long....Id pick him this week as Essendon might suit him and playing him in the twos for too long will only lead to the inevitable injuries and holiday. Did notice he was loathe to kick the ball in the twos so maybe those calves are still an issue.

Reply #17

If we could get him and Cunners up and running it dramatically changes the way we play.....for the better.

Reply #18
I've put a line through Martin.  He needs to prove he can play for 4 weeks without getting injured.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #19
Replay available if anyone's interested.
If nothing else, you will see something you haven't seen for ages. A win 😏

Around the state leagues: Cat fires, Blue's debut nears, Sun kicks a bag - https://www.afl.com.au/news/940682
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #20
Replay available if anyone's interested.
If nothing else, you will see something you haven't seen for ages. A win 😏

Around the state leagues: Cat fires, Blue's debut nears, Sun kicks a bag - https://www.afl.com.au/news/940682

Mate based on those review notes on AFL.com, Binns , Cunningham and Fogarty straight in. It was against Franganastan though.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #21
After being nearly 5 goals down against the 17th placed VFL  team we won by 3 pts due to Plowman kicking a goal in the dying moments, not much to take from that game!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
Mirkov didn't play, isn't listed in our injuries, any news?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
Considering who we had available, I reckon we can take a fair bit from that win. There wasn't a lot of talent available and we missed the dominant big man and the guy who gets 30 touches every week (Mirkov and Dow). It showed a lot more grit and determination than we 've shown for a lot of season.

On the the other hand, there is still a lot of things to work on. We can play a LOT better. Martin and Cuningham can only get better as they get fitter (assuming they can stay on the park). Same goes for Marchbank. who needs a decent run at it.
We're not getting a lot out of Lemmey, Akuei and O'Keefe, all of whom are projects of some sort. Akuei had improved a lot, but he still a long way off a senior spot. O'Keefe looks like a VERY long term project.
Then there are the perennials like Honey that never seem to grab the game by the neck. I can't see Honey remaining on our list: he doesn't do enough and he doesn't make enough of the chances he gets. But then, do our other small forwards? You'd have to answer 'no'.

Last year we got a fair bit from our VFL listed players who were generally pretty consistent performers. That hasn't been the same this year. We've had a few really good performers, but the consistency hasn't been there.
Parks is OK, but he doesn't get a lot of the ball.
Lewis and Leiu have gone backwards.
We lost Zavier Maher to a knee injury for the season in the first game.
Crocker's form has been spasmodic, and his role has been more upfield. That said, his kicking for goal this year has been excremental. (Doesn't that sound familiar?) I don't know if he's been a good captain or not, but playing the role he does often doesn't allow good captaincy to shine through.
Ronke has been decent, and a goal kicker every week.
Ned Cahill hasn't been as consistent either, but he has been better than Honey. We missed him through injury this week.
McMahon has been patchy: some weeks he looks like he might be worth looking at, the next week he gets less than 10 possessions and sprays his kicks all over the place.
Archie Stevens has been one of our best VFL players. He is getting good numbers most weeks now as a mid, after being a small forward last year. His disposal isn't bad. As Vice Captain he has been a real positive this year.
Patrick Dozzi, on the other hand, has not been all that consistent. He looked better last year.
Heath Ramshaw has played a very different role this year, he's been a mid all year after being an attacking back pocket last year. He's had a few quiet games, but not that many. Not sure he has improved as much as I had hoped, but he is worth his spot.
A lot of the others are very much project players: Gill, Prout and Mills don't get a lot of ball, but have been doing a job when AFL listed players have been unavailable. Same goes for Kuipers, Brereton and Swaney: Brereton has had1 VFL game and played against the Academy kids.
Mitch Moschetti hasn't been sighted much, which is disappointing: he can kick a ball. Not sure why he hasn't been a regular.

Overall, our VFL list appears to lack some of the depth that other clubs can claim. There appears to be little in the way of experienced players to give the youngsters much guidance.
Is it the money? Or is it that we simply don't put the resources into the VFL side of things? Or is it that we don't appear to be contenders? I don't know, but I don't like it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #24

We're not getting a lot out of Lemmey, Akuei and O'Keefe, all of whom are projects of some sort. Akuei had improved a lot, but he still a long way off a senior spot. O'Keefe looks like a VERY long term project.

I'd say they all look like very long term projects.

BTW - what happened to Trudgeon?  Is he playing elsewhere?

Reply #25
I'd say they all look like very long term projects.

BTW - what happened to Trudgeon?  Is he playing elsewhere?

Box Hill i think

Reply #26
Lemmy looked ok 0k playing ruck in the 2nd half.

He reminds me a bit of lord from Port who is coming along nicely

Reply #27
Box Hill i think
Trudgeon is on Box Hill's list, but I don't think he has played much for them. Certainly not getting the attention that he got with us. Injury? No idea.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #28
I've put a line through Martin.  He needs to prove he can play for 4 weeks without getting injured.

How many games in a row has he played before being injured? I would be surprised if it was motes than 4 games from memory.

Reply #29
How many games in a row has he played before being injured? I would be surprised if it was motes than 4 games from memory.
For us, in 2020 he played 9 in a row, in 2021 he played 10 in a row albeit with a bye rnd in there.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time