Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 13 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Essendon (Read 6108 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 13 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #30
This sounds both stupid and obvious but we have to find a way to score goals. The players need to get their mind around that being their sole focus. Win the footy, get it forward and score doesn't matter who, just score. Take on in the responsibility. We have to do better than 6 or 7 goals from 50-60 entries. We seem to have tried Charlie further up the ground and H closer to home, it seems to me to be the wrong combo, the other way around seems to work slightly better for us. Thoughts?

Sad eh GTC old son when we feel stupid or stating the bloomin' obvious re simply kicking more goals! But it's true. 100% true. How embarrassing. 2 Coleman Medal winners over the past 2 seasons and we can't kick goals in 2023, not helped by ineffectual small/medium forwards. Crikey, Owies looked a million bucks on his return, then fell into the defensive mire and got lost.

Very briefly (ever so toooooo briefly) in Friday night's game we saw the blokes take on the game through the middle and goals resulted. Doesn't seem that hard to achieve... if you take on the game, take risks, be bold, don't fear failure, be creative, enjoy your footy, think 'offensive' rather than being glued to a defensive mind-set, shots on goal result. I guess that when confidence is lower than shark shizen you're second guessing yourself all the time... unsure of what to do next - play safe.

This defensive, unsure, safe, fearful mind-set seems to start with the MC and their rigid selections. They've gotta start getting creative, take some risks... sheesh, it took a swathe of injuries for them to give some blokes a gig.

FM, the blokes don't even look like they're enjoying their footy... and how can they with such a conservative, defensive mind-set locked into their every move. But heck, some of them sure do have a good laugh after the game/another loss :o

Holy mackerel... over the last 7 or so years we've been bipolar - all defensive (BB & now Vossy) or all out offensive and zero respect for defence (The TT).

It's so very obvious -- kicking more goals -- yet, we make hard work of it when the answer really is very, seemingly, simple... speed on the ball, take it fast and through the middle, hit up any forward who has made the best position and give it to him lace out. No more bombs and hope.

If fear of making a mistake is front of mind, guess what... you'll do nothing or make lots of mistakes - especially poor offensive decisions and disposal skills.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #31
This sounds both stupid and obvious but we have to find a way to score goals. The players need to get their mind around that being their sole focus. Win the footy, get it forward and score doesn't matter who, just score. Take on in the responsibility. We have to do better than 6 or 7 goals from 50-60 entries. We seem to have tried Charlie further up the ground and H closer to home, it seems to me to be the wrong combo, the other way around seems to work slightly better for us. Thoughts?
It's just a matter of odds, Charlie and Harry are due and they have no height down back. This should be an easier game, no Petraccas, Degoeys, Bonts etc just smaller mids who we should be able to bully and dominate. I'd expect us to score more easily and crack 100 points....

Reply #32
It's just a matter of odds, Charlie and Harry are due and they have no height down back. This should be an easier game, no Petraccas, Degoeys, Bonts etc just smaller mids who we should be able to bully and dominate. I'd expect us to score more easily and crack 100 points....

Which Essendon no namer becomes a superstar this week for shutting down a much vaunted coleman medalist?

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #33
OBrien (omitted)->Binns
Cottrell (omitted)->Hewett
Boyd (omitted)->Cowan
Silvagni (int)-> One of Lemmey OKeefe Mirkov Akuei (or not bring in any additional hieght and Young covers ruck)
Agree with first above. don't mind getting Cowan in or Hewett if over concussion but not sure Boyd and Cottrell are the ones I'd drop.  Akuei and O'Keeffe are a mile off.  Mirkov can get taps but that's it and was omitted "injured" from the 2s so unlikely to get a call up.    Lemmey I would have said was a mile off but he showed a bit in the ruck in the second half this week albeit against VFL opposition.  Not enough to have me rushing him in, but I'd like to see more of him in the ruck in the 2s to see if he is a viable spell ruckman.  Whilst raw there is a bit to like about him especially his kicking.   For this week though I think it is Lewis Young as poor as he has been of late. especially as they might run 2 ruckmen to try and exploit TDK and lack of real height down back (even though it is a night game). I'd like to have Marchbank back but query if he has the miles in his legs yet.  Suspect we will lose Kennedy, he looked really shot late in the game.

Reply #34
OBrien (omitted)->Binns
Cottrell (omitted)->Hewett
Boyd (omitted)->Cowan
Silvagni (int)-> One of Lemmey OKeefe Mirkov Akuei (or not bring in any additional hieght and Young covers ruck)

Totally agree Binns for LOB.
Seldom does Matty Cottrell put in two shockers in a row... I'd persist.
Apart from a gift of a goal, Fisher was pretty ordinary. Fogarty?

With such a lack of confidence permeating the side it's hard to judge some performances - the natural offensive and creative play of some of our blokes is being curtailed by the conservative/defence focussed game plan.
JSOS in the ruck is just handing the opposition a goal or three.

Young into the ruck with TDK? Kemp to take 2nd tall and Cowan comes in. Marchbank looks miles off.

Hewett will probably come in for Kennedy.

Pity Cuningham has only had one game back, his quickness in the middle against Franger was sublime at times and he looked better as the game progressed - sub?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #35
But what do we do about the lack of talent on the forward line?  Owies has been tried and found wanting,  Durdin, even when fit needs time in the VFL, as does Motlop.

So much effort goes to waste when we have no crumbers at the feet of Harry and Charlie and we just watch as opposition backmen sweep the ball out of our forward line with little or no opposition.

Reply #36
EB...unfortunately we thought the same thing against Sydney.....they were missing 3 key defenders and were too short down back to compete with McKay and Curnow...and look what happened that night.

Maybe Cottrell gets a run with role on Merrett this week if he holds his spot?

Didn't watch any of the VFL game but are either of Martin/Cunningham ready to go yet? It might be desperation stakes but either one of them could come in and maybe just as the sub?

Binns and Hewett in for me with O'Brien and Boyd out. And can we continue with playing 3 small forwards when none of them are having an impact?

Reply #37
EB...unfortunately we thought the same thing against Sydney.....they were missing 3 key defenders and were too short down back to compete with McKay and Curnow...and look what happened that night.

Maybe Cottrell gets a run with role on Merrett this week if he holds his spot?

Didn't watch any of the VFL game but are either of Martin/Cunningham ready to go yet? It might be desperation stakes but either one of them could come in and maybe just as the sub?

Binns and Hewett in for me with O'Brien and Boyd out. And can we continue with playing 3 small forwards when none of them are having an impact?
Surfie, Martin on the wing for them is a good player, for a mid season pick last season thats one they got right and he will need a minder. Im not a huge fan of Cottrell like others but I dont want a first gamer like Binns on Martin so maybe Cottrell stays in and gets that job. Merrett gets a lot of the ball but Im not sold on his greatness like the media who pump him up and while he is a good player Id be prepared to play someone like Cerra on him and try and make Merrett accountable.
I'd play Fogarty as a small forward, how much less impact can he have than the others?
Boyd would be an out for me...still cant work out what his position is or what he offers......is he a poor mans Caleb Daniel?

Reply #38
..........................................................................With such a lack of confidence permeating the side it's hard to judge some performances...........

Observing from the outside, this is my impression as well. There's little point in worrying about ins and outs, when the entire list seems in a fug, and you're simply replacing one fug-infected player with another who seems similarly listless and devoid of confidence. I'm not sure if it's just as simple as the lack of wins, or if there's off field goings on affecting the boys. There's certainly no lack of fight or effort, which is a good thing, but gee they look out of sorts.

Reply #39
Lack of belief leads to lack of confidence leads to trying too hard leads to loss of composure leads to mistakes and loss of form leads to loss of belief and so on round the loop?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #40
Lack of belief leads to lack of confidence leads to trying too hard leads to loss of composure leads to mistakes and loss of form leads to loss of belief and so on round the loop?
Which is all above the shoulders, I expect more from a GROUP (not one or two, a GROUP) of professional AFL footballers to fix this sort of stuff. When seniors can't it means lack of leadership which is a problem.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #41
But what do we do about the lack of talent on the forward line?  Owies has been tried and found wanting,  Durdin, even when fit needs time in the VFL, as does Motlop.

So much effort goes to waste when we have no crumbers at the feet of Harry and Charlie and we just watch as opposition backmen sweep the ball out of our forward line with little or no opposition.

Who would want to be a forward in our forward line....lol.

Reply #42
fischer to tag Merrett , young in ruck just fist it forward, Gov in fwd line thats all i got

Reply #43
fischer to tag Merrett , young in ruck just fist it forward, Gov in fwd line thats all i got
Fisher and Tag in the same sentence is one of the weirdest things Ive read.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #44
Fisher and Tag in the same sentence is one of the weirdest things Ive read.
Agree , about the only thing Zac could tag would be putting a sticker on an apple......Merrett is their prime mover and I would have said Ed Curnow but those glory tagging days of big scalps have probably passed Ed by and id almost play Cerra on Merrett who is our form mid and try and make the Essendon captain more accountable.