Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 13 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Essendon (Read 6034 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 13 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #45
EB...only issue I'd have with that is Cerra has probably been our best midfielder in the last month and we probably need him playing his own game. I know Cottrell's last couple of weeks have been ordinary but I can see him playing that role okay.

If Hewett comes back in, maybe he can play that role....that's pretty much why we recruited him....he can play a run-with role AND get plenty of the ball himself. Unfortunately his form this year has been a shadow of what he was producing in the first half of last year.

Reply #46
Fisher is playing like a bloke who knows he won't be there next year
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #47
All the jokes about Fisher and tagging seem to overlook the fact that he is actually one of our better tacklers.

He is the only bloke who seems to know how to avoid a dusty fend off and stick the tackle. He did it twice in one game a few years ago.

Now, can he curtail an opponent for a whole game? Dunno.
But it's possible.

Reckon we need his run and carry as a priority though as we seem to have a shortage of those types who are afl fit and ready

Reply #48

EB...only issue I'd have with that is Cerra has probably been our best midfielder in the last month and we probably need him playing his own game. I know Cottrell's last couple of weeks have been ordinary but I can see him playing that role okay.

If Hewett comes back in, maybe he can play that role....that's pretty much why we recruited him....he can play a run-with role AND get plenty of the ball himself. Unfortunately his form this year has been a shadow of what he was producing in the first half of last year.
Surfie ,Id use Cottrell on Martin like I said in another post, Martin is a bit under rated on the wing but he has been a big contributor to Essendons wins and we need to put the clamps on him. For a mid season pick he is highly skilled,and pacy but I think Cottrell is better suited to him than Merrett who starts in the middle. IMO Cottrell is a ok player vs other ok players but not vs the top liners and Id want somone a bit better credentialled vs Merrett and thats why I chose Cerra. Its more at the stoppages I would want to limit Merrett and not have him breaking away with that damaging left foot, he can pick up some cheapies behind the ball but I dont want him initiating attacks.

Reply #49
Better bring it on Sunday night, the Bombers would love to put the nail in our coffin.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #50
Good point EB....and Martin hits the scoreboard too.....pity none of our wingers can do that....or our mids for that matter.

Reply #51
Good point EB....and Martin hits the scoreboard too.....pity none of our wingers can do that....or our mids for that matter.
Or our forwards for that matter.

Reply #52
Hewitt needs a task EB, when left to chase the pill he loses focus and becomes pedestrian.  His task must be to negate Merrett.  Cottrell is perfectly suited to take on Martin.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #53
Hewitt needs a task EB, when left to chase the pill he loses focus and becomes pedestrian.  His task must be to negate Merrett.  Cottrell is perfectly suited to take on Martin.
Prof , not sure George has the toe to keep up with Merrett. Been looking banged up of late has Hewett and I agree he needs a task but I'm struggling to find a player that suits. I would have played him on Shiel but he won't be playing...

Reply #54
Prof , not sure George has the toe to keep up with Merrett. Been looking banged up of late has Hewett and I agree he needs a task but I'm struggling to find a player that suits. I would have played him on Shiel but he won't be playing...

George won't be available until next week - If i read the injury news correctly 6/6
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #55
They're missing Parish and now likely Shiel as well....and Setterfield who was doing okay in the midfield for them earlier in the season. Would be nice to think our mids could get some dominance this weekend but won't hold my breath. Draper will be a good test for TDK to show us where he's at too.

Reply #56
I'm expecting more disappointment from the players this week.
Cheats by 3-5 goals.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #57
Fish has the pace to match Merrett at least for 1 Q and then we will move Ed on him

Reply #58
I'm expecting more disappointment from the players this week.
Cheats by 3-5 goals.

Afraid you could be right. Let's just hope they decide produce a good one!🤫
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #59
Afraid you could be right. Let's just hope they decide produce a good one!🤫
Not a hope in hell Cookie
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot