Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2023 Rd 12 Carlton vs Essendon at Carlton (Read 2547 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2023 Rd 12 Carlton vs Essendon at Carlton

Reply #45
Do you remember those players Lods?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #46
I only knew of Barry as he wore 21
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #47
John wore 12 Barry wore 21. John had hair, Barry didn't!!

Reply #48

Only Barry, John had already retired.
When I first started following Carlton our backline was

Ian Collins, Wes Lofts, Robbie Walls
Barry Gill, John Goold, Kevin Hall

Barry's standout feature was his receding hairline, but he was a very good and dependable half back/back pocket and dual premiership player in an outstanding backline.

Reply #49
Cuningham demonstrated why he could be an AFL player but 'one-paced' Dow probably won't.

Cunningham has burst and is able to create space and time for himself after winning the ball; he can even break a tackle or two.

Reply #50
Cowan had a decent game.

O'Keeffe looks to have more potential than Lemmey, who looks very stiff in his movements.

Akuei has athletic ability (plus the skinniest calves in the AFL) but doesn't seem to have much football nous.

Honey doesn't do enough and, if he can't kick goals, he doesn't even rate a game in the VFL.

Fogarty has his limitations (especially in the pace and acceleration department) but I think he has more to offer than Dow - especially in the way he uses the ball and fights for it.

Reply #51
I like Lemmey's kicking though which was elite at U18 level but seemingly being dragged down to Carlton level as the weeks go by.  He shows a bit in the ruck to suggest he could develop into that KF/relief ruck we crave.  Also showed ability to swing back at U18 level.  All in all plenty to work with.  O'Keeffe I am not sold on. Akuei great athlete, great tryer but zero footy nous.  Honey just goes missing far too much even at this level.  Fog as you say is limited but surely deserves a shot at the firsts for consistent performance at 2s level.

Reply #52
I like Lemmey's kicking though which was elite at U18 level but seemingly being dragged down to Carlton level as the weeks go by.  He shows a bit in the ruck to suggest he could develop into that KF/relief ruck we crave.  Also showed ability to swing back at U18 level.  All in all plenty to work with.  O'Keeffe I am not sold on. Akuei great athlete, great tryer but zero footy nous.  Honey just goes missing far too much even at this level.  Fog as you say is limited but surely deserves a shot at the firsts for consistent performance at 2s level.
H2 is 19, lets not forget that. He is beautiful kick of the footy and kicks it a long way. He and OKeefe are keepers for sure.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #53
Surely Fog has to get a game next week, at least he tackles with intent.

Ed was picked to do a role, didn't even lay a tackle. Running around like a headless chook and endlessly fumbling is not AFL standard  Epic fail in my book.  That's the kind of rubbish effort that has left our club broken.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #54
EB...Jaiden Hunter was drafted out of Perth FC over here. Been on the list but missed nearly two years of footy with injuries. Started this year and played 3 reserves games and then kicked multiple goals in 3 league games including 5 in the win over South Fremantle a couple of weeks ago....he was plucked by Essendon 5 days later. He's a really likely type and reckon he'll take over from Weideman in the Essendon AFL side before the year is out.

Reply #55
EB...Jaiden Hunter was drafted out of Perth FC over here. Been on the list but missed nearly two years of footy with injuries. Started this year and played 3 reserves games and then kicked multiple goals in 3 league games including 5 in the win over South Fremantle a couple of weeks ago....he was plucked by Essendon 5 days later. He's a really likely type and reckon he'll take over from Weideman in the Essendon AFL side before the year is out.
For sure Surfie, he is a good footballer in the making imo and will be playing senior football soon. Weideman is a spud and wont ever make it as a KP Forward. Id be trying him down back if I was Brad Scott and trying him as a CHB given the Dons have no real tall key defenders.

Reply #56
Am I to presume Binns was held out as an emergency for the one's?  If so what are his chances of a debut next week?