Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2023 Rd 13 Carlton vs Werribee at Werribee (Read 1880 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2023 Rd 13 Carlton vs Werribee at Werribee

Reply #15
Binns has been good but I like Ramshaw and Cahill in terms of AFL senior potential.
Jack has been ok down back but his kicking can be ordinary and when you are slower than most he has to hit targets everytime.
Young....been intercepting across half back has a casual approach to disposing fo the ball and needs to improve that area of his game. I wouldnt be selecting either Jack or Young based on todays game.
Carroll has played a ok 3rd quarter and shows some smarts but he needs to play 4 quarters and do it every week.
Okeefe is a trier in the ruck and while very raw he has some potential...
Akuei doesnt impress me and lacks composure, just no awareness or nous and loses too many contests he should win, not even a VFL player imo and more a suburban footballer in training.
Hewett...done some ok things but nothing telling me he needs to be picked next week in the seniors..
Fisher as a defender...kicked the ball ok and had a few possessions but not for me and he is still in limbo as far as finding a permanent role on our list that you can rely on him each week.

Reply #16
Young....been intercepting across half back has a casual approach to disposing fo the ball and needs to improve that area of his game. I wouldnt be selecting either Jack or Young based on todays game.
It's quite bizarre these two go into the VFL and look rushed and panicked when taking possession, they both look physically bigger than the opposition yet they do not look calm or composed. Last quarter heat they play hot potato type football, bombing it long and fumbling the footy, it's so disappointing. Cowan and Binns look much better, but Binns is pretty lightweight for the step up to AFL.

From today, regardless of how the game ends, Cowan or Fisher look to be the only likely selections.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
Why the feck would a AFL experienced player like LoB offload a dodgy look away handball on the D50 with scores tied?

Right there is why Carlton is NFG!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
Why the feck would a AFL experienced player like LoB offload a dodgy look away handball on the D50 with scores tied?

Lair
It was terrible.

Reply #19
Werribee win by six points

Similar problems to the seniors.
The O'Brien one was a shocker by they were missing targets  with short handballs all day.

Reply #20

Because he isnt good enough on a regular basis and even in the twos turns the ball over...delist.

Reply #21
Today is the problem for some of our "AFL" types, Werribee are the Dad's Army of the VFL, well drilled but still long standing has-beens who today showed up our 1/2-full side of 24x7 AFL types how to use the footy.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
Because he isnt good enough on a regular basis and even in the twos turns the ball over...delist.
I'm afraid that is the reality, as much as he's elite runner it's pointless if you make all that effort to get the footy and turn it over.

But he's not alone @ElwoodBlues1, and it's quite sad when you think about what we see today.

Luke Power is one of the nicest blokes in football, but he must be consider going postal after a game like today.

The problems we have existed long before any of the current coaches were in place, they've probably be appointed and tasked to implement a fix, but I can't see it happening with the players we've got. There is just no point sacking coaches when what we saw today is "The Talent" they have to work with!

I wonder what SOS will do it comes to pass that on a future occassion Ross the Boss tears his boy a new one?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23

Poor coaching
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #24
Binns has been good but I like Ramshaw and Cahill in terms of AFL senior potential.

Binns was a funny one.
I had the stats sheet open in a window alongside the coverage.
I'd take a look at it every now and then and see Binns had got another couple.
But I must have blinked, because I kept missing them.

Now with the limited cameras and coverage, and my poor eyesight, that's probably understandable.
But is he impacting with those possessions?

Reply #25
Poor coaching
I sincerely doubt Luke Power or Michael Voss told any Carlton listed player to offload the pill like it's cyanide coated!

As fans we need to stop making excuses for these players, you might write off the incidents at AFL level due to the step up in pressure, but when you see the very same at VFL against a team that is represented by father time then our lot just aren't good enough!

Despite being ineffective, at least Motlop looks competitive at VFL level, but he needs a season of that to get his ship righted.

Cowans was good, probably our best defender.

Young guarded space and needs trading, he's not taking us forward as he's 200cm but plays like a outside back pocket.

Fisher was OK in a bruise free role but I can't see him displacing any of the current crew.

SoJ is in a world of pain.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
I sincerely doubt Luke Power or Michael Voss told any Carlton listed player to offload the pill like it's cyanide coated!

As fans we need to stop making excuses for these players, you might write off the incidents at AFL level due to the step up in pressure, but when you see the very same at VFL against a team that is represented by father time then our lot just aren't good enough!
I was being sarcastic
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #27
I was being sarcastic
I'm so jaded these days I can no longer tell!

A potential problem for our club, is that when we make such sarcastic statements I suspect there are numpties who believe it to be true!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
I can't tell either, anymore :(

Reply #29
I only saw bits and pieces but from what I saw, Principal LODS was on the money with a team that looked like a team... too much individualism with our blokes. We didn't, again, adapt to the windy conditions from what I saw...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17