Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2023 Rd 13 Carlton vs Werribee at Werribee (Read 1882 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2023 Rd 13 Carlton vs Werribee at Werribee

Reply #30
Werribee win by six points

Similar problems to the seniors.
The O'Brien one was a shocker by they were missing targets  with short handballs all day.

Even in the 2s he can find new ways to disappoint us on a weekly basis.  Who did the intel on him to take him at pick #10 - Stevie Wonder?
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #31
Binns was a funny one.
I had the stats sheet open in a window alongside the coverage.
I'd take a look at it every now and then and see Binns had got another couple.
But I must have blinked, because I kept missing them.

Now with the limited cameras and coverage, and my poor eyesight, that's probably understandable.
But is he impacting with those possessions?
Its a good point and to be honest he is a neat kick but doesnt have a long penetrating leg but he does get the ball and knows his limitations. I did see him get caught and also get hurried with his disposals and if thats happening at VFL level then AFL senior level is going to test him in terms of being able to think quicker and get rid of the ball effectively but I think he is capable of the transition if he has better players around him.
We had 13 listed players vs the burbs boys in Werribee and it wasnt a flash perfomance from our blokes but Binns was one of the few who showed the way for our team and for a young bloke in his first season Id be happy with how he is tracking.
Ditto for Cowan who is prepared to take players on and be creative as well as attend to his opponent, like the seniors though Im not sure our kids really get enough support and its more a group of individuals playing rather than a team who are there for each other and Voss and Power have their work cut out in this area.

Reply #32
I sincerely doubt Luke Power or Michael Voss told any Carlton listed player to offload the pill like it's cyanide coated!

As fans we need to stop making excuses for these players, you might write off the incidents at AFL level due to the step up in pressure, but when you see the very same at VFL against a team that is represented by father time then our lot just aren't good enough!

Despite being ineffective, at least Motlop looks competitive at VFL level, but he needs a season of that to get his ship righted.

Cowans was good, probably our best defender.

Young guarded space and needs trading, he's not taking us forward as he's 200cm but plays like a outside back pocket.

Fisher was OK in a bruise free role but I can't see him displacing any of the current crew.

SoJ is in a world of pain.
A good assessement of the players LP and its a mish mash of individual problems with players coupled with a lack of team bonding.
Its a group of players scared to do anything else but play safe and its the kids like Binns and Cowan who take the game on who stick out but how long will it be before they aere infected with the play it safe virus and look after yourself first attitude.
You want to see some team defense, team goals and players all running and combining and yes you will get errors but it was Werribee doing that today and our blokes just playing safe like their careers depended on making no mistakes.

Reply #33
I'm afraid that is the reality, as much as he's elite runner it's pointless if you make all that effort to get the footy and turn it over.

But he's not alone @ElwoodBlues1, and it's quite sad when you think about what we see today.

Luke Power is one of the nicest blokes in football, but he must be consider going postal after a game like today.

The problems we have existed long before any of the current coaches were in place, they've probably be appointed and tasked to implement a fix, but I can't see it happening with the players we've got. There is just no point sacking coaches when what we saw today is "The Talent" they have to work with!

I wonder what SOS will do it comes to pass that on a future occassion Ross the Boss tears his boy a new one?
JSOS would have more leg speed around him at Stkilda and their small forwards are their strength so Jacks leg speed wouldnt be such an issue imo.....Membrey is coming to the end and cant stay on the park due to injury and I see Jack as a direct replacement.

Reply #34
Geez Werribee is a good VFL team - Barlow has them playing like committed psychos.

Reply #35
JSOS would have more leg speed around him at Stkilda and their small forwards are their strength so Jacks leg speed wouldnt be such an issue imo.....Membrey is coming to the end and cant stay on the park due to injury and I see Jack as a direct replacement.

I just can't see him at St Kilda.
It would be a monumental mistake on his and SOS's part.

How would it be trying to find your feet in a playing group where your dad is the one making decisions regarding your team-mates and friend's futures.
How would you go coming in and perhaps displacing someone already on the list.
It would be seen as a 'job for the boy'.
The relationships with coaches and other football personnel and the list manager would be under pressure.
The best thing they could do would be to get some clear air from one another and if Jack's future is not at Carlton a club like the Gold Coast would be my idea of a good option.
He could create his own story rather than being a 'JSOS'

Reply #36
Why the feck would a AFL experienced player like LoB offload a dodgy look away handball on the D50 with scores tied?

Right there is why Carlton is NFG!

Jason Tutt Mkll
I've been hoping to see LOB take the next step in his game. Unfortunately I don't see it happening now. At least not on our list. Time to say goodbye and delist oneself like the former player.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #37
I just can't see him at St Kilda.
It would be a monumental mistake on his and SOS's part.

How would it be trying to find your feet in a playing group where your dad is the one making decisions regarding your team-mates and friend's futures.
How would you go coming in and perhaps displacing someone already on the list.
It would be seen as a 'job for the boy'.
The relationships with coaches and other football personnel and the list manager would be under pressure.
The best thing they could do would be to get some clear air from one another and if Jack's future is not at Carlton a club like the Gold Coast would be my idea of a good option.
He could create his own story rather than being a 'JSOS'
I agree, reckon Jack is better off away from his father but I still think the Saints will make a play for him. At the other end of extremes is Essendon, Dodo made a play for JSOS when he was drafted...more to take the piss out of SOS who is a mate but I reckon if he had a chance he would try again. Dont see Jo Silvagni and the Silvagni clan wanting her son interstate...its not far from Ikon Park to Windy Hill either...

Reply #38
I agree, reckon Jack is better off away from his father but I still think the Saints will make a play for him. At the other end of extremes is Essendon, Dodo made a play for JSOS when he was drafted...more to take the piss out of SOS who is a mate but I reckon if he had a chance he would try again. Dont see Jo Silvagni and the Silvagni clan wanting her son interstate...its not far from Ikon Park to Windy Hill either...

I wouldn't be surprised if Essendon had a crack either.
We can't get into Jack's mind to know what he's feeling.
We don't know the impact of his father's falling out with the club on his thoughts about his future.
Mum probably wouldn't want him to move too far away, but mums are mums...and Jack's not a young'un anymore. He'll be 26 next year.
Maybe it's time to fly the coop...there is the issue of his partner to consider
But staying around in the bubble of Melbourne at club's like St Kilda or Essendon would mean a bit of a  focus on him.
An expansion club, with little history and tradition could benefit from someone like Jack.
He could be part of building that club and not burdened by the Silvagni name,

Reply #39
I wouldn't be surprised if Essendon had a crack either.
We can't get into Jack's mind to know what he's feeling.
We don't know the impact of his father's falling out with the club on his thoughts about his future.
Mum probably wouldn't want him to move too far away, but mums are mums...and Jack's not a young'un anymore. He'll be 26 next year.
Maybe it's time to fly the coop...there is the issue of his partner to consider
But staying around in the bubble of Melbourne at club's like St Kilda or Essendon would mean a bit of a  focus on him.
An expansion club, with little history and tradition could benefit from someone like Jack.
He could be part of building that club and not burdened by the Silvagni name,

You'd think GWS could be a landing spot for him as his father worked there previously, so i'm sure he knows his way around the traps.
Of course, that could work against them if he thinks the facilities are not up to scratch.