Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 14 2023 Post Game Passion Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 4531 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 14 2023 Post Game Passion Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #15
We finally played like a committed team.
Lets hope the penny has dropped for this mob.
Dow has been impressive for the time he has come on.

Reply #16
Boyd gets a bit of a bad wrap sometimes.
I like the boy.
He's only played the 12 games, so we probably shouldn't be too quick to judge.
He's not the most gifted but he gives effort, and has a booming, penetrating kick.
Yep ,he makes the occasional blue but usually he's in the more efficient of our disposers.
His efficiency is usually up around the 80%...it was again today.
Not sure why he found himself matched up against giants on a couple of occasions, but he didn't shirk the contest.

I reckon he also has a bit of 'dick' factor about him.
At least twice today a Sun's player wanted to give him a whack.
We need a few dicks.

Reply #17
It does marvellous things for my mental health when we win, especially a game like that where it threatened to get away from us. But the thing that pleased me the most was that we appeared to finally learn something from our previous mistakes:
[1] We tackled like we meant it. 69 tackles this week, compared to 33 last week. Not only that, but we really tackled well. Doc had a couple of absolute beauties, as did H.
[2] We seemed to have picked up in the centre square against a pretty good bunch of mids. We got more where the ball was. Cerra early and Matt Kennedy late were dynamic in the way they got the ball in the middle. Even though we didn't get a lot of taps, our rucks competed well and didn't allow Witts to just put them where he wanted.
Tom de Koning really competed well and took a few marks. He is a different player when he is holding his marks.
[3] Cincotta, Boyd, Cuningham and Fogarty didn't get huge possessions, but they really did good jobs. Cincotta's defensive work was excellent, Cuningham's run and dash, and his kicking really stood out. His smothers, chases and tackles were a big positive. All of these guys deserve a mention, even if they didn't get the numbers, because of the effort and the positive effect.
[4] Dow should get a go next week. His last quarter was pretty good: he had as many possessions as Martin had in 3 quarters. That said, Martin was so much more dangerous this week.
[5] Three goals to Cripps was excellent, but all of our mids hit the scoreboard today. 2 goals for Cerra, a goal to Fogarty, a goal to Kennedy and 2 goals to de Koning were more than useful contributions.
We had 9 goal scorers this week, which 150% of the number of goals we've been kicking recently.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #18
[4] Dow should get a go next week. His last quarter was pretty good: he had as many possessions as Martin had in 3 quarters. That said, Martin was so much more dangerous this week..
Huge cheers for Dow this week when he had it. 

Reply #19
I think the best people who played their best game was the MC.
Finally picked a balanced side.
Kudos to the players for performing well and winning with a decent margin.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #20
I think the best people who played their best game was the MC.
Finally picked a balanced side.
Kudos to the players for performing well and winning with a decent margin.

Balanced yet diverse, lots of points of difference...harder to match up on.

Reply #21
Cripps and Walsh with an equal match high 11 score involvements...tells a bit of a story.
If they're both influencing we're going OK ;)

Reply #22
Cripps and Walsh with an equal match high 11 score involvements...tells a bit of a story.
It was all the extra hard running when they didn't have the ball to make position.
The whole team worked hard until the end running hard to get into position for the next play.
Kemp is my new favorite player and have never really understood why he has been in and out of the side.
If we can fix the way the ball comes into the fwd 50 then we would've won by 200+.
Maybe it's the forwards not leading hard enough to make separation ala Fev style?
Was nice to finally win a game with a full set of finger nails  :D
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #23
We kicked as many goals this week as we have the last 3 weeks combined.

Reply #24
Boyd gets a bit of a bad wrap sometimes.
I like the boy.
He's only played the 12 games, so we probably shouldn't be too quick to judge.
He's not the most gifted but he gives effort, and has a booming, penetrating kick.
Yep ,he makes the occasional blue but usually he's in the more efficient of our disposers.
His efficiency is usually up around the 80%...it was again today.
Not sure why he found himself matched up against giants on a couple of occasions, but he didn't shirk the contest.

I reckon he also has a bit of 'dick' factor about him.
At least twice today a Sun's player wanted to give him a whack.
We need a few dicks.

I'm warming to Boyd. He goes ok and I think he'll get better and gain more composure with experience.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #25
Centre Clearances 19 - 7 (Cerra Cripps Kennedy), nuff said.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #26
Nice win and great to finally see us move the ball more freely and play on rather then the safe stop start brand we have become known for.

Still we did it against a bottom to middle tier team so apart from being nice to see us win I'm keeping it in perspective and wont be getting ahead of myself.

Would hope it builds confidence going into the bye and think its so important for this group to get a few top 4-6 scalps in the run home to prove we can compete at the higher level as from what i can recall we haven't beaten any top 4 team in this rebuild - finals are likely gone but so important IMO to get something useful out of what's been a disaster of a year and showing we can not just get close to but beat the better teams is a massive tick to taking the next step and making finals

Reply #27
I'm warming to Boyd. He goes ok and I think he'll get better and gain more composure with experience.

Boyd, like Kemp and Cincotta seem to have adjusted nicely with a bit of consistency. Consistency can't be underestimated. Now it's over to TDK, Pitto, Martin, Fogarty, and Cunners to follow suit. I've probably missed some too. Dow. George....

Finally speaks to some relative list fitness. Nod to JR and crew, whom I've be critical of when our sick bay has been overflowing.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #28
We finally played like a committed team.
Lets hope the penny has dropped for this mob.
Dow has been impressive for the time he has come on.
I did note that the players were laughing and mucking around before the 1st bounce and I thought well at least they are looking positive. Once they got that roll of 12 goals, you could see the confidence and enthusiasm grow. Now, to bring that into the next game.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #29
Saw this on the twitter sphere:

Dow in 25 minutes: