Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 15 2023 Carlton vs Northern Bullants at Carlton (Read 1430 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 15 2023 Carlton vs Northern Bullants at Carlton

Reply #15
Nice by Motlop and Binns leading to Ronke goal.

Reply #16
At 3QT Dow the standout player, Carroll Motlop and Binns also impressing.

Reply #17
Moltop gets his third

Reply #18
Dow copped a big knock on the final siren
May miss next week under concussion protocol even if selected in the senior side

Reply #19
ow Dow!!!!

Reply #20
Same 4 as at 3/4 time the standouts, but Dow probably overtaken by Binns as our best - Paddy seemed to be under a tag that last quarter.  Either of those two (subject to the last second head clash) Carroll or Motlop could justify a senior recall next week.

Reply #21
Full time

Carlton 18-17-125  d Bullants 6-4-40
Blues by 85

Disposals

Binns 29
Dow 29
Cowan 25
Motlop 23
Carroll 23

Goals
Motlop 4
Dow 3

Reply #22
Pretty comprehensive

Binns 29 disposals, 6 tackles, 5 clearances, 6 inside 50s, 1 goal
Dow 29 disposals, 4 tackles, 8 clearances, 9 inside 50s, 3 goals
Motlop 23 disposals, 6 tackles, 3 clearances, 4 inside 50s, 4 goals

Reply #23
Gill has something about him but needs a lot of size.
At 197 cm tall, Gill has some pace and a decent pair of hands. But he is barely 80 kg. At 90+ kg, he could be interesting.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #24
A number of fairly similar performances stats-wise:
[1] Dow - 29 possessions, 4 tackles and 8 clearances
[2] Binns - 29 possessions, 6 tackles and 5 clearances
[3] Cowan - 25 possessions, 1 tackles and 3 clearances
3 clearances from defence isn't bad. 8 clearances is excellent!
I wouldn't mind seeing more tackles from Cowan, but he is getting the ball nicely.

[4] Jesse Motlop - 23 possessions, 6 tackles and 5 clearances - I like the idea of playing him in the middle: gets him involved in the game and getting the ball. That he kicked 4 goals was pleasing, but who were his opponents? Still, this is the sort of performance we wanted to see.
[5] Jack Carroll -  23 possessions, 5 tackles and 1 clearance - question marks aplenty here. Some good signs from a guy who can disappear from the play too often. Has he turned the corner? If he can repeat this effort, then he might convince me.
[6] Lachie Plowman - 20 possessions, 1 tackle and 8 marks - Plowman is playing well. He is an excellent leader for the youngsters.

[7] Lochie O'Brien - 18 disposals, 3 tackles and 2 clearances - not the results that would put him in line for promotion. I wouldn't play him again, to be honest, and the reason isn't difficult to determine: he is not a good decision maker. He can get away with it more at this level, but his screwups at senior level have cost us games. I'd trade him out. Binns looks better, gets more of the ball and hits more targets.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #25
[7] Lochie O'Brien - 18 disposals, 3 tackles and 2 clearances - not the results that would put him in line for promotion. I wouldn't play him again, to be honest, and the reason isn't difficult to determine: he is not a good decision maker. He can get away with it more at this level, but his screwups at senior level have cost us games. I'd trade him out. Binns looks better, gets more of the ball and hits more targets.

It comes across as a bit of momentum killer in O Brien's game.
There were a couple of occasions today where he stopped and propped rather than keeping the play moving quickly, or took possession and ran a wide arc before disposing.
I think that's been a criticism at senior level as well.
Now whether he's looked forward and seen no options is hard to tell from the telecast.

Reply #26
A number of fairly similar performances stats-wise:
[1] Dow - 29 possessions, 4 tackles and 8 clearances
[2] Binns - 29 possessions, 6 tackles and 5 clearances
[3] Cowan - 25 possessions, 1 tackles and 3 clearances
3 clearances from defence isn't bad. 8 clearances is excellent!
I wouldn't mind seeing more tackles from Cowan, but he is getting the ball nicely.

[4] Jesse Motlop - 23 possessions, 6 tackles and 5 clearances - I like the idea of playing him in the middle: gets him involved in the game and getting the ball. That he kicked 4 goals was pleasing, but who were his opponents? Still, this is the sort of performance we wanted to see.
[5] Jack Carroll -  23 possessions, 5 tackles and 1 clearance - question marks aplenty here. Some good signs from a guy who can disappear from the play too often. Has he turned the corner? If he can repeat this effort, then he might convince me.
[6] Lachie Plowman - 20 possessions, 1 tackle and 8 marks - Plowman is playing well. He is an excellent leader for the youngsters.

LOB should never have been re-signed and  trade value wise would be worth nothing, he will just be delisted imo.