Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 17 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 3848 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 17 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #15
The form of most players during the past two matches should justify a limited number of changes this week.

Other than Young, Ed Curnow and (maybe) Hewett, I doubt that any deserve to be omitted for sub-standard performances.

Agree.

I'd only make the 1 change and thats Pitto/TDK (whoever is deemed fit) for Young.
If Weiters gets suspended though, Young would get a reprieve.

I can't see us bringing in Dow, so Ed and George get to stay, but i'd swap roles with Ed starting sub.

Reply #16
Someone has to miss out if both Pitto and TDK are available.

Reply #17
Freo's small forwards usually stitch us up....eg Schultz has been a real pain over the last few seasons and they need attention.
Id like Newman on Walters but if my memory serves me right Saad has been loose on Schultz getting caught on the rebound and he either needs to curb his attacking ways or we find a more suitable lock down player, maybe Boyd can accept that challenge and make me warm to him...
Dont expect to win the ruck, in fact we will probably get flogged in the hitouts but its about our mids winning the clearances and influencing the result and for me its probably more the damage Darcy and Jackson might inflict when they rest forward than their ruckwork. Freo are workman like down back and have some decent defenders so it this wont be an easy game, really dont like Longmuir and his sulky demeanor and its about time we beat Freo at home....50/50 game for me and I'm hoping for a win rather than being overly confident.

Reply #18
Also Cottrell comes back, doesn't he? Logic dictates Ed HAS TO COME OUT.
Young under the pump and JSOS as always

Reply #19
Yep. One of them, whichever one isn't fit enough.....because neither will be actually 100% fit.

Reply #20
Freo's small forwards usually stitch us up....eg Schultz has been a real pain over the last few seasons and they need attention.
Id like Newman on Walters but if my memory serves me right Saad has been loose on Schultz getting caught on the rebound and he either needs to curb his attacking ways or we find a more suitable lock down player, maybe Boyd can accept that challenge and make me warm to him...
Dont expect to win the ruck, in fact we will probably get flogged in the hitouts but its about our mids winning the clearances and influencing the result and for me its probably more the damage Darcy and Jackson might inflict when they rest forward than their ruckwork. Freo are workman like down back and have some decent defenders so it this wont be an easy game, really dont like Longmuir and his sulky demeanor and its about time we beat Freo at home....50/50 game for me and I'm hoping for a win rather than being overly confident.
Smashed 61 to 27 v the hawks and we won by 10 goals. Coll and PA played for weeks without a ruck. Rucks are overrated.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #21

If we hit our targets going forward there will be no turnover to be exposed on… we’ve gotta run, gotta hit up.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #22
Some talk over here that Jackson might miss....and Fyfe ruled out already.

Agree with EB, their small forwards are dangerous and with a bit of pace.....Frederick, Switkowski and then Walters and Schultz. And Liam Henry on the wing...his last couple of weeks have been really good. Wouldn't surprise me to see Ed hold his spot and get another run-with role.

Long range weather forecast isn't great...not sure who benefits outta that.

Reply #23
Don’t think playing both TDK  and Pitto is the way to go.  I would prefer us to put in TDK only if both are available.

TDK did well against Witts in his last game and we should wing it with JSOS who was fantastic last week. If neither are available Young stays in.

Reply #24
Watched the replay last night. There is still a lot of room for improvement but the intent was good. I think Hawthorn has the basis for a reasonable side they are reasonably well drilled so I was not surprised by their third quarter effort and they defeated Brisbane a couple of weeks ago. I was happy with the effort for the four quarters. Cottrell in for Ed Curnow, and depending if TDK or Pittonett is available, I would move Silvagni to the Subs bench as I think he could be a real impact player for us. I believe he was knocked about before he was dropped to the VFL but I am not sure there is a spot for him in the current forward structure. I am not sure there is a spot for Dow in the midfield at the moment with Cripps, Cerra, Walsh, Kennedy, Docherty, Acres and Cottrell, with Cuningham and Fogerty running through there as well, but he is definitely ahead of Hewitt and others. The defence is really gelling well but I am concerned by the lack of a 200cm defender. Young played very well on the weekend and is back in touch again but I am not sure where he would fit in. If we play with the same intent as we have over the past two matches we should be too good for Fremantle but it is all about our attitude.
I can't remember when Carlton has improved in the second half of a season. To me we seem poised to make a big charge but history would suggest otherwise. We do have depth in our squad which makes me hopeful but cautious.

Reply #25
Last weekend Darcy massacred English and Lobb, all Lobb's inside info did not help the Dog's ruck division, but Jackson was playing injured and that helped the Bulldogs quite a lot!

So Darcy versus English / Lobb equals win to Darcy, how do our rucks rate versus English and Lobb?

Don't be sucked in by the stats last time we played Freo with TDK solo, Darcy was carrying / managing an injury through most of 2022 and wasn't fit.

I'd be very reticent to go into this game with just one ruck and a clutch of D-Grade backups, it's the sort of scenario Darcy loves, easy kills!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
Silvagni would be very unlucky to miss out if both TDK and Pittonet are available. And if only one ruckman plays, then Young probably gets squeezed out and he wasn't too bad last week either. Only query would be whether we need Young's height down back given Dockers will have Amiss, Treacy and Jackson in the forward line. Kemp is probably one that could go with Amiss as he's more a fast leading and mark type of forward than a big bodied contested marking player.

Cottrell in for Ed is probably the obvious one....which means Hewett might get squeezed out.

Sounds like Motlop played well in the VFL but the Owies/Cunningham/Fogarty/Martin forward set up has worked...with both Cunningham and Fogarty going through the middle a bit last week and Cripps and Kennedy starting forward at times.

Reply #27
Only query would be whether we need Young's height down back given Dockers will have Amiss, Treacy and Jackson in the forward line.
@WASurfer
Over here we are hearing that Jackson is likely join Fyfe as an out, could be a smokescreen, any inside info floating around WA?

Historically Lobb was our main KPP problem, and the Freo smalls, they tend to run us into the ground and they have also done some mighty jobs tagging Cripps, but Cripps has also been able to have an impact pushing forward.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
LP.....Dockers have said Jackson has been playing "sore" for a couple of weeks and this has prevented him from rucking....some hip issue that's stopped him from jumping. They might still play him purely as a forward and ruck with Darcy and Treacy which is pretty much what they did last week against the Dogs.

Jackson would be a difficult match up but one that might go to Weitering or even McGovern if we choose not to play Young as a defender. I'd punt on McGovern.

Reply #29
Jackson would be a difficult match up but one that might go to Weitering or even McGovern if we choose not to play Young as a defender. I'd punt on McGovern.
Agreed.

Personally, I think McGovern is probably the better match up even if Jackson wasn't playing sore, and having Kemp there in form to also intercept further bridges the divide.

I think Young might be stiff if either Pitto or TDK get up, he battled in the ruck but did OK when we dropped him into D50, however I have to keep in mind how woeful the Dawks were when using the footy, I think they set a 2023 low for efficiency!
The Force Awakens!