Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 17 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 3851 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 17 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #30
LP.....Dockers have said Jackson has been playing "sore" for a couple of weeks and this has prevented him from rucking....some hip issue that's stopped him from jumping. They might still play him purely as a forward and ruck with Darcy and Treacy which is pretty much what they did last week against the Dogs.

Jackson would be a difficult match up but one that might go to Weitering or even McGovern if we choose not to play Young as a defender. I'd punt on McGovern.
Reckon Young has to play, we can look small down back without him sometimes and his ruck work isn't that great he would be missed in that area either.
McGovern is too small for Jackson and Darcy imho..
Kemp will probably get Amiss who is a young leading forward, nice kick for goal and needs to be respected.
Treacy is a bit of a dud and whoever gets him might be able to give us some drive.
Brodie will probably come in to tag Cripps and I reckon Brayshaw will get Cerra which could be a match decider contest..

Reply #31
Reckon Young has to play, we can look small down back without him sometimes and his ruck work isn't that great he would be missed in that area either.
Kemp will probably get Amiss who is a young leading forward, nice kick for goal and needs to be respected.
Treacy is a bit of a dud and whoever gets him might be able to give us some drive.
Brodie will probably come in to tag Cripps and I reckon Brayshaw will get Cerra which could be a match decider contest..

Pretty spot on EB, I reckon this will be a tough one, my only hope is that we do ok travelling west. Might even need some Newnes type heroics after the siren.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32

The only reason we should play Young in the ruck is if Jack is picked as our other ruck.
If one of Pitto or TDK are playing, use Jack. Young efforts last week were embarrassing.

Use him down back if you need him, but keep him out of the ruck....he doesn't have the intensity for it.

Reply #33

Serong has been in good form too.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #34
What I have particularly liked about our last 2 games is that were we the hunters, and had a 'hunting the opposition' mind-set.

For a long time we've been way to reactionary, conservative and even worried about being hunted - hence losing our way under opposition (and our own above the shoulders) pressure and not being able to sustain our way, then resorting to relying on individual talent - a recipe for failure.

IF we build even further and commit even more to being the hunters (through the roof tackle nos. etc.), then I have absolutely no doubt we will account for the Dickers... and further strengthen our 'hunters' mind-set.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #35
Young's a concern at the moment.
He's not a ruckman, he's not physical enough.
He is a key defender, but as a key backman the physicality is also an issue and....
the defence looks better when he's not there.

I'm not sure how he turns that around....but we've given him another three years to find out.

Reply #36
He is a key defender, but as a key backman the physicality is also an issue and....

I'm not sure how he turns that around....but we've given him another three years to find out.
Like SoJ, Young's fate depends on the MC, if they use him the right way and select him on a horses for courses basis he can share in some success.

If on the other hand they try to use him as a fix-all, for the very reasons you have outline he's cooked before he starts!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37

He was dynamite last year, I thought he was more than upgrade on Jones in defence. His only weakness seemed to be being outbodied by the monsters. His intercept stuff was very good. He is a shawdow of his former self.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #38
Young played his best footy when weitering wasn't there.

Perhaps the issue is to do with responsibilities.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #39
It's interesting that the Dogs had Young playing down back and in the ruck but were KP defensively poor for a while and he couldn't hold down a Key defensive post hence they chased Jones.
They gave him away for nothing and we are probably starting to see why.
We need a more robust key defender and there is an obvious choice out there but I'm not paying what other Clubs will be offering as he is still a work in progress player...

Reply #40
Ben McKay EB? I agree....for a bloke that's played about 70 odd games across about 7 and a half years, talks of $700K+ is a lot of coin.

Still lots of talk over here about Barass but if you believe what's being written, Sydney are at the front of the queue. But no chance they'll be able to get him and TDK. Barass would be a first round pick for sure and TDK won't be cheap either.

Reply #41
In: T.De Koning, M.Cottrell, L.Cowan
Out: Nil

R16 sub: George Hewett

Reply #42
Young played his best footy when weitering wasn't there.

Perhaps the issue is to do with responsibilities.

Jones was more versatile than Young, which allowed Weitering to swap with him more readily and both were decent interceptors.

With Young, Weitering was more frequently anchored at FB and became a less attacking defender.

Reply #43
Ben McKay EB? I agree....for a bloke that's played about 70 odd games across about 7 and a half years, talks of $700K+ is a lot of coin.

Still lots of talk over here about Barass but if you believe what's being written, Sydney are at the front of the queue. But no chance they'll be able to get him and TDK. Barass would be a first round pick for sure and TDK won't be cheap either.

Surfie...not sold on Ben McKay, reckon he might end up at Essendon.
For the right money I'd look at him but I can see other clubs offering more.
Swans have done the work on Barass and I'd expect him to be a Swan next season.

Reply #44
Surfie...not sold on Ben McKay, reckon he might end up at Essendon.
For the right money I'd look at him but I can see other clubs offering more.
Swans have done the work on Barass and I'd expect him to be a Swan next season.

If Fisher and Gov leave there is enough capital to get Big Ben to the club.