Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 20 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 6556 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 20 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Friday night at the MCG. Don't know if I'm really looking forward to it: too many injuries at the wrong time.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFL Rd 20 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #1
I wonder how many of our starting midfield will actually be fit to play?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
I wonder how many of our starting midfield will actually be fit to play?
I dont really care who comes in, just get Honey out and never play him again.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
I dont really care who comes in, just get Honey out and never play him again.

1x inside 50
3x tackles
2x tackles inside 50
4x score involvements
1x clearance
1x goal
27x pressure acts - equal game high

You see those numbers and you think thats pretty damn good.

You want your small forward to pressure, tackle, get involved with setting up goals and kicking them.
He did all those things.

I thought it was one of his best ever games watching at the ground. Was surprised to see the hate directed at him.

Reply #4
Friday night at the MCG. Don't know if I'm really looking forward to it: too many injuries at the wrong time.

Deja vu???
Strap in.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #5
re pies vs port
Best result for us really.

Hard fought game which will tire the pies out.
They got out of jail again, so they still think their $hit don't stink.
Had they lost that one, they would've had extra motivation against us next week.

Going to be a huge crowd at this one with 2 in-form teams with 90k+ members (each) trying to get in to see this one.

Reply #6
1x inside 50
3x tackles
2x tackles inside 50
4x score involvements
1x clearance
1x goal
27x pressure acts - equal game high

You see those numbers and you think thats pretty damn good.

You want your small forward to pressure, tackle, get involved with setting up goals and kicking them.
He did all those things.

I thought it was one of his best ever games watching at the ground. Was surprised to see the hate directed at him.
I want him to succeed

But watching at the ground too, no, I don’t think he did anywhere near enough.

Reply #7
re pies vs port
Best result for us really.

Hard fought game which will tire the pies out.
They got out of jail again, so they still think their $hit don't stink.
Had they lost that one, they would've had extra motivation against us next week.

Going to be a huge crowd at this one with 2 in-form teams with 90k+ members (each) trying to get in to see this one.
BUT Collingwood home game so mainly their supporters.

Against pies you need to have a FIGJAM attitude. We don’t, yet. Port did but fluffed it. They won’t make the mistake again.

Reply #8
I want him to succeed

Truth be told, i'm not a fan.

But at the ground, i saw how hard he was working to put pressure on the ball carrier. He seemed to be everywhere. Clearly, that was without the ball. I deliberately went looking for the 'pressure act' stat to see if my eyes were lying to me, but no, he was up with the best in that area.

Having said that, that is the minimum we can expect from him. He needs to continue to improve his offensive side of his game to succeed at AFL level. I just think people are being a bit harsh on him.

Reply #9
Truth be told, i'm not a fan.

But at the ground, i saw how hard he was working to put pressure on the ball carrier. He seemed to be everywhere. Clearly, that was without the ball. I deliberately went looking for the 'pressure act' stat to see if my eyes were lying to me, but no, he was up with the best in that area.

Having said that, that is the minimum we can expect from him. He needs to continue to improve his offensive side of his game to succeed at AFL level. I just think people are being a bit harsh on him.
Would you play him vs Collingwood? and who could you trust him to play on?

Reply #10
I want him to succeed

So was I.

I thought Honey’s left foot snap would set him up for a good day but it wasn’t to be.

No other player, including the subs and injured players, had fewer possessions.  Three effective disposals in a game of footy isn’t good enough, particularly when the opposition is mediocre and their defence is under extreme pressure.

Apart from that early snap, Honey didn’t look like getting the pill and, when he did get in the way of the footy, he dropped a simple chest mark and pushed his opponent in the back.  The latter incident suggested to me that Honey lacks the confidence to take on an opponent.

Contrast Honey’s game with that of Motlop’s.  Motlop has a long way to go but his effort today, in half a game, is what a small forward has to bring each week.  Shadowing a defender and putting a little pressure on them doesn’t get the job done.

I want all of our players to succeed but they have to give it a decent crack and make a genuine effort to get their hands on the footy.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11
Pies are a few classes above us. They are close to full strength and we have too many under injury clouds to get close to them IMO

I know this goes against what many will think but I would this game as though is a bye round and conserve energy for the last 5 games where if we get most of our soldiers back we can win enough to make finals.
Need a full strength team to have any chance of beating this mob unfortunately and the timing of when we are getting them gives us very little chance imo.
Better to save petrol tickets for the run after this week.

Reply #12
Pies are a few classes above us. They are close to full strength and we have too many under injury clouds to get close to them IMO

I know this goes against what many will think but I would this game as though is a bye round and conserve energy for the last 5 games where if we get most of our soldiers back we can win enough to make finals.
Need a full strength team to have any chance of beating this mob unfortunately and the timing of when we are getting them gives us very little chance imo.
100% agree, this is the week to rest players (if you are to ever take that gamble), as well as we have been playing, I dont think we are beating them any time time soon. Doubts on:
Cripps
Cerra
Martin
Walsh
Silvagni
Motlop
Thats a alot of injuries to some of the most important players on our list.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #13
It's a funny one.
I noticed Honey more in this game than I have previously.
He kept at it with effort.

I doubt it's anywhere near enough, but I suspect Voss probably would have been reasonably happy with the pressure aspects of his game.
He talked about role players in his press conference.
Realistically if our team is all fit and in form though, there's probably 35+ players in front of him.

Reply #14

It goes against every fibre of my being, but it's really a logical idea.
Rest now, don't bust a gut only to be overrun in the final quarter, don't show our hand and just bide our time.
The chances of beating them now are slim.
Jump them in the Grand final.

The counter argument is that we need to win games to play finals...but realistically, are we in any shape to take them on if many of our key players are struggling with injury?
We can't afford to take injured players into this game.