Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 20 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 6554 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 20 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #15
Take our best fit team in and have a real crack.  Otherwise if we go in half arsed we'll get smashed by 100 points, which won't do our percentage or momentum any good.  Cripps should be back, and maybe a couple of others if we're lucky.  Cerra was a test this week and probably rested for next week.  The one that really disappoints me is Walsh, he has been in really good form lately, and we lost him in the last game last year too.  If we had Walsh, Cripps & Cerra I'd say we are in with a shot, if we have 2 of them and they aren't labouring too much i'll give us a slim chance to upset the pies.

Reply #16
It's a funny one.
I noticed Honey more in this game than I have previously.
He kept at it with effort.

I doubt it's anywhere near enough, but I suspect Voss probably would have been reasonably happy with the pressure aspects of his game.
He talked about role players in his press conference.
Realistically if our team is all fit and in form though, there's probably 35+ players in front of him.
You got to take into account the opposition too...WC are the worst team ever assembled and  if that's the best Honey can offer then he won't stay on the list. If the MC really loved his game they will keep him in the team  vs Collingwood, he might even get the pleasure of Nick Daicos lining up on him at half back...🤔

Reply #17
Take our best fit team in and have a real crack.  Otherwise if we go in half arsed we'll get smashed by 100 points, which won't do our percentage or momentum any good.  Cripps should be back, and maybe a couple of others if we're lucky.  Cerra was a test this week and probably rested for next week.  The one that really disappoints me is Walsh, he has been in really good form lately, and we lost him in the last game last year too.  If we had Walsh, Cripps & Cerra I'd say we are in with a shot, if we have 2 of them and they aren't labouring too much i'll give us a slim chance to upset the pies.
Coll aren't 100pts better than any team we would put up, as good as they are they don't necessarily smack teams by 100 pts. Last time they did that was 2012.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #18
Take our best fit team in and have a real crack. Otherwise if we go in half arsed we'll get smashed by 100 points, which won't do our percentage or momentum any good.  Cripps should be back, and maybe a couple of others if we're lucky.  Cerra was a test this week and probably rested for next week.  The one that really disappoints me is Walsh, he has been in really good form lately, and we lost him in the last game last year too.  If we had Walsh, Cripps & Cerra I'd say we are in with a shot, if we have 2 of them and they aren't labouring too much i'll give us a slim chance to upset the pies.

The key is that first bit..."our best fit team".
If they're 100% they play...if they could benefit from a week off then rest them.

Just reading around a bit, there is surprisingly a fair bit of support for 'keeping the powder dry.'
I'd thought the idea would be pretty much condemned by most supporters, especially seeing it's Collingwood.
But "Lose the battle to win the war later in the year", looks like it has some support.

Experiment a bit with match-ups and use the game to form a plan to combat them should we meet them in the finals.
There is also a chance that they may see a depleted Carlton as an 'easy kill' and that could mess with their application and intensity a bit.
What is a bit entrenched at the moment is our pressure, and that should still be evident no matter who takes the field.

Reply #19
Collingwood have certainly had a few blowout victories this season, but plenty have been by small margins. Once you build a reputation for that type of winning, you gain an added advantage of living rent free inside your opponents heads. No doubt they train for it, but the luck involved in those wins is off the charts in my view.

Reply #20
We're currently the most in-form team playing. Bring it from the start and we'll win.

Reply #21
We're currently the most in-form team playing. Bring it from the start and we'll win.

Behind GWS perhaps.

Reply #22
Would you play him vs Collingwood? and who could you trust him to play on?

Might have no choice but to play him.

But playing as a forward, it doesn't matter who he plays on, he is there for pressure.

Reply #23
Might have no choice but to play him.

But playing as a forward, it doesn't matter who he plays on, he is there for pressure.
Problem is he will be the one under pressure.....

Reply #24
Jack may be 'season ending' according to a few reports.

Reply #25
Problem is he will be the one under pressure.....

I don't care if he doesn't touch the ball all game. If he continues to be the little Jack Russell nipping at everyones heals the whole day then its job done.

Reply #26
Jack may be 'season ending' according to a few reports.

That would be devastating for him. Not to mention our fwd line.

Evidently small Durdin injured his shoulder in the 2's. Motlop ? H out. Martin? Fisher? ........
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #27
Which Jack?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #29
I'm safely assuming it's Jack Silvagni.
Yes given Voss was talking about expecting "all three back" vs Coll in reference to Cripps, Martin and Cerra.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time