Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 21 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 4658 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 21 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #15
Their first quarter was awesome and they finished strong, but when all is said and done they beat the Hawks who are cellar dwellars.  A return for Membrey appears likely and if King and Hill get up they will  be greatly improved assuming they are fully fit.  However they seem to have lost Jones and perhaps Sharman, so its not all one way traffic from the medical room.  Caminiti is on report but I don't think it warrants a week - looked worse on first blush - but who knows with the lottery that is the AFL suspensions system.  All in all I think we should have their measure absent any unforseen player unavailability.   

Reply #16
It's amazing when you get the basics correct how things fall into place.

Harry and Charlie have been pretty much bringing the pill to ground for the whole season, mark it or not they are rarely beaten. But Owies was in and out and Durdin and Motlop were getting where the pill wasn't, so we gained little advantage.

Cunningham and Martin come back, Fogarty comes in and all of a sudden things change massively. Add to that a bit of remedial homework for Motlop and all of a sudden despite Harry and Charlie actually starting to take more marks we've seen a huge boost in game influence from our smalls.

Where was this for the first half of 2023, if it's so obvious to fans, how can it be that it persisted for so long without being addressed by the players?

Stupidly the media start talking about Mosquito fleets, the reporters have cause and effect completely ar5e about!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
We should hammer Stkilda, I get to see a few of their games courtesy of my daughters inlaws and its painful most games watching them play that Rossball style. Owens, Philipou, Wanganeen -Milera and Caminiti are good kids for the future and they have a good ruckman in Marshall but down back they dont have much and onball they rely heavily on Steele and B.Crouch and every week Lyon pulls the Sinclair into the middle move to try and generate some clearances.
King is a worse kick for goal than Harry and Membrey while still a dangerous player when on is very banged up and near the end so even with those two as inclusions Id expect them to be minimal threats.
If we sit a player on Sinclair and our rucks can break even with Marshall we should win comfortably....

Reply #18
There is a part of me that thinks this would not be a bad week to blood Binns to give us some extra run and out of left field I could see O'Keeffe as a chance to replace Pitto, swinging TDK into the ruck and letting O'Keeffe do the forward/ruck role. He shows more forward than either of Pitto or TDK and whilst he is no hare he is more mobile than Pitto even without injury concerns. I don't think O'Keeffe is anywhere near fully developed and if JSOS was available I'd be looking at him doing the relief ruck but he isn't so there it is. Lemmey is way further back than O'Keeffe and I don't see any other options if we have stamped Young's papers as a forward, which I think we should have.

Reply #19
Have I missed something, is Pitto out? :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
TAG siniclair other big move Marshall to fwd line

Reply #21
Camanitti has been rubbed out for a week.

Reply #22
Camanitti has been rubbed out for a week.
Good, it was a stupid act. Remember when Newman used to cop time off for similar stuff. He'll learn, maybe.

Reply #23
There is a part of me that thinks this would not be a bad week to blood Binns to give us some extra run and out of left field I could see O'Keeffe as a chance to replace Pitto, swinging TDK into the ruck and letting O'Keeffe do the forward/ruck role. He shows more forward than either of Pitto or TDK and whilst he is no hare he is more mobile than Pitto even without injury concerns. I don't think O'Keeffe is anywhere near fully developed and if JSOS was available I'd be looking at him doing the relief ruck but he isn't so there it is. Lemmey is way further back than O'Keeffe and I don't see any other options if we have stamped Young's papers as a forward, which I think we should have.

Don't know why people think O'Keefe is ready. He's still a fair way off. We still need Pitto's toughness, especially against  this mob.

Reply #24
Don't know why people think O'Keefe is ready. He's still a fair way off. We still need Pitto's toughness, especially against  this mob.
Agree O'Keeffe is very raw but I don't think he is as far off as all that.  St Kilda don't boast a lot of defensive height and his main duty would be to offer a bail-out option up forward which I think he could do better than Pitto and at least as well as TDK (unless TDK chooses this week to move from "almost brilliant" to actual brilliance) and some relief minutes in the ruck.  The problem with Pitto and TDK in the same team is the impact on run and the limited value of either (but especially Pitto) up forward.  That said I am not opposed to Pitto leading the ruck division but loss of run is a price that then has to be paid.

Reply #25
No Cerra, Walsh, Kennedy, McKay, SOS

Thats some serious talent missing. Will be a good test how deep this squad goes and how strong the system is.

Reply #26
Oke is 18 year old doesn't turn 19 until December (I think).

Coming along nicely the big fella.. big pre season will be good for him.

Reply #27
Agree...No time to get cute and experimental and Pittonet will be a very handy opponent for Marshall next game.
O'Keefe is promising and I like his work rate but is still very raw.

Reply #28
I'm not sure i get the hysteria around Pittonet this week.

We picked him when he clearly wasn't fit because we were down too many other soldiers.
Despite that, he still outperformed TDK who played he worst game for the year, if not 2 years.

Somehow, some raw kid is supposed to be an upgrade on both?

Yeah nah.

Reply #29
We have significant outs again. If we continue to sustain our defensive intensity and win at the coalface, we'll trouble any team. I hope we're across the 2 faces of the Saints (low, slow - slick, precise) and Vossy has Rossy's measure. I'd love to beat this mob but that's been easier said than done in recent times.

Go Blues

If I were a punter, I'd beat that Cunners has a breakout game. 
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.