Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 21 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 4659 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 21 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #30
I'm not sure i get the hysteria around Pittonet this week.

We picked him when he clearly wasn't fit because we were down too many other soldiers.
Despite that, he still outperformed TDK who played he worst game for the year, if not 2 years.

Somehow, some raw kid is supposed to be an upgrade on both?

Yeah nah.

How do you know TDK was 100% fit?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #31
How do you know TDK was 100% fit?

We don't, but its kind of irrelevant to the point don't you think?

He did play the previous 2 games whereas Pittonet was injured, or returning in the VFL.

Reply #32
Just listening to the Ross Lyon press conference - he seems pretty confident that King, Membrey and Hill will be back next week.

Is that some sort of miracle recover for King? I was sure initially Lyon said he was out for the year.

Reply #33
Last two times we have played this mob we should have won, but did enough bad things to lose.

I am worried we may have a bit of a let-down after the massive high of last week, and that is exactly when crap teams like St Kilda choke us and win ugly.

I have one request of the match committee - put Fogarty on Jack Sinclair and shut him down.  If he is out of the game, and Hill is still a bit iffy, it will go a long way towards giving us a win.

This is 4 points I would love to put into the sack, witrh reinforcements due to return a couple of weeks or so after that.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #34
Marshall looms as a issue as he is a mobile hard running ruck who works as an extra mid around the ground. Everyone knows how i feel about Pitt but playing him this week would be a mistake imo. He is a old school ruck who is good at the ruck contest and a non event everywhere else and against someone like Marshall who aerobically and leg speed wise will leave Pit in his wake.

While TDKs form has been up and down in recent weeks he at least has the tools needed to match Marshall and is much better equipped against this sort of mobile Ruck and I would be surprised to see Pit named this week.

Reply #35
Watched the reply again of last weeks game and was surprised the amount of manic pressure that Forgerty applied. Owies Martin Motlop also did similar but they seem to get noticed more by us fans and media. Stats are one thing but watching the off the ball running hard to affect a contest even when you dont win has to be watched to be appreciated and to see a small forwards value.

You look at the stats and see he touched it just 10 times and never kicked a goal yet he did his job very well.

Reply #36
Watched the reply again of last weeks game and was surprised the amount of manic pressure that Forgerty applied. Owies Martin Motlop also did similar but they seem to get noticed more by us fans and media. Stats are one thing but watching the off the ball running hard to affect a contest even when you dont win has to be watched to be appreciated and to see a small forwards value.

You look at the stats and see he touched it just 10 times and never kicked a goal yet he did his job very well.

Good pick up, Shawny. Noticed the same thing. Plus I also noticed that in Vossy's media conference that when Martin and Cunners were mentioned as valuable inclusion in recent weeks by one media dude, Vossy was quick to add Fog.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #37
I'm not sure i get the hysteria around Pittonet this week.

We picked him when he clearly wasn't fit because we were down too many other soldiers.
Despite that, he still outperformed TDK who played he worst game for the year, if not 2 years.

Somehow, some raw kid is supposed to be an upgrade on both?

Yeah nah.
O'Keeffe is not an upgrade on either of them as a ruckman, but as a forward undoubtedly is better than Pitto even at his immature stage of development and on TDK's performance against Collingwood I would expect O'Keeffe could better that effort.  Meanwhile TDK has been very impressive in the ruck in Pitto's absence and is a much better option to go head to head with Marshall, whom I really rate.  The St Kilda backups are just part-timers and I reckon O'Keeffe could at least hold his own there and maybe even better.  Anyway, I get that O'Keeffe is a left-field suggestion and only a kid but I just think the match-ups align for it.

Reply #38
Pitto and TDK couldn't play any worse surely.

They need to up their game this week.

Reply #39
Pitto’s effort at the end of the Collingwood game was outstanding.

Dow kicked to no-one and a Collingwood player was closing on the ball.  Pitto was our closest player and he led his opponent to the ball and, in a one on two, managed to get the ball to Martin who, unfortunately, missed the shot at goal.  That’s the effort that gets Pitto a spot in the 22 even if he’s not fully fit.

I like O’Keeffe and I think that he’s going to be a ripper.  As others have said, his forward craft is good and he’s a very accurate kick for goal.  Although he’s raw and several kilos short of AFL body size, I think he’d acquit himself quite well if he did get a run.  However, he’s way behind Pitto and the King at this stage.

I think that AFL rucks should have a presence around the ground; marking at both ends of the ground and providing a target when we have to go long.  Pitto doesn’t do that (and the King doesn’t do it enough) but he does stop the opposition rucks from doing it.  That’s why I was surprised that Cameron got coaches’ votes; he was effectively neutralised … and Cox was obliterated.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #40
One of the real strengths of our team at the moment is a rock solid defence where EVERY player has confidence in their, and their team mates ablility to get the job done. Maybe there wasn't the same faith 6 weeks ago before Kemp came in. In fact you can become preoccupied in trying to cover the weak link. Weitering is better because he trusts Kemp. I don't think it was the same with Young. This group wants to play together.

Reply #41
Caminitti free to play 🙄
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #42
Caminitti free to play 🙄

It was pretty soft, but there's no way that it wasn't intentional.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #43
It was pretty soft, but there's no way that it wasn't intentional.

He says it wasn't intentional and it's downgraded. Go figure. Integrity v reliable assessment criteria. It's anyone's guess and may vary week by week.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #44
The even spread of contributors was the standout for me against the Pies. Nearly everyone played their role and brought genuine heat. Repeat that and we win comfortably.