Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 21 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 4655 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 21 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #75
We need to beat this mob to make our wins against the top 2 worthwhile.
I would rather beat these guys and have lost to PA and be injury free.
The way the ladder is this is one of those 8 point games.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #76
Don't worry about their forwards. If we do what we do, the ball shouldn't pass the middle. We should dominate the middle of the ground, even with our injuries.

As long as we kick it through the big ones, we should be ok.

Reply #77
We have a habit of making Membrey look like Superman. Need to beat this mob!

Reply #78
We win this with all the players currently unavailable and the sangers at nearly full strength, it will be an even better performance than last week….

Reply #79
Agree Stevie-Poo....he's torched us plenty of times in the past and seems to play way taller than he actually is. Kemp might even be given a shot at him. Their backline looks a bit short but they've been pretty tight regardless. Get plenty of ball in the middle and I reckon Charlie can get another handful.

Agree on Butler and Higgins who are very dangerous but Saad, Newman and Cincotta have all been in good form. Reckon Doc will play more midfield this week with Cerra, Walsh and Kennedy all out....with Fogarty and even Cunningham rotating through the middle at times. Even Acres can go into the middle with Cottrell and Hollands taking up the wing spots.

Reply #80
Agree Stevie-Poo....he's torched us plenty of times in the past and seems to play way taller than he actually is. Kemp might even be given a shot at him. Their backline looks a bit short but they've been pretty tight regardless. Get plenty of ball in the middle and I reckon Charlie can get another handful.

Agree on Butler and Higgins who are very dangerous but Saad, Newman and Cincotta have all been in good form. Reckon Doc will play more midfield this week with Cerra, Walsh and Kennedy all out....with Fogarty and even Cunningham rotating through the middle at times. Even Acres can go into the middle with Cottrell and Hollands taking up the wing spots.
Id start Cottrell on Hill to tag him and Acres on Wanganeen-Milera who has been in fair form of late, probably let Hollands start on the bench. In Saints games I have seen live both Hill and WM are keys to how they move the ball along with Sinclair and nullifying all three will go a fair way to winning us the game.

Reply #81
Sinclair has murdered us in the past.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #82
Sinclair has murdered us in the past.
Yep....its no secret Lyon uses Sinclair in the middle when the Saints are struggling and also after half time to give them more run and carry when other teams are tiring. Doesnt always work but when the Saints win games he is usually a big reason why.
He has real leg speed and its often difficult for teams to find opponents who can keep up with him and also deny him the ball, likes to run onto the ball from behind the centre bounce area either straight or running in an arc and Id be wanting to deny that space to him and make him have to work at the coalface contest a bit more to get his kicks.
Saints are not that great a team imo talent wise overall but have a few of those bogey type players who bother us like Sinclair, Membrey and Steele(Cripps), be nice to turn the tables on them for now and the future.

Reply #83
Missing from Round 6 defeat:
Young, McGovern, Kennedy, E Curnow, Silvagni, Durdin, McKay, Cerra, Walsh, Honey

Inclusions who didn't play in Round 6:
Kemp, Marchbank, De Koning, Cuningham, Saad, Owies, Fogarty, Dow, Docherty, Cottrell.

Gee we'll be bloody good when everyone's back!!

Reply #84
Good Luck to Fish hope he puts on a performance. Even though we look a little short with only one notable key forward will be a real test of the system.
These are two strong defensive teams and we lack abit of rotational depth in the middle.
Hope Dow puts in a shift of a lifetime.

Reply #85
I can see Docherty as the 7th defender, Acres on the wing with Cotrell rotating with he and Hollands........and Cuningham and Fogarty adding pressure up forward and on the ball.  Good seeing Membrey on the sidelines, one less tall up forward and I think there is still some doubt over King. If he does play, I doubt he'll be cherry ripe after the layoff and no run in the twos.

22 points in our favour!

Reply #86
I think this will be a big test for the system. While Dow should have adjusted, I hope Fisher makes a seamless return. If we let the Tiger's smalls off the leash I'll spew.
Having our measure in recent years, this will put the coaches in the hot seat. If they can motivate the same contested performance and we can sustain it, we'll get the win.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #87
I think Fisher will be the seventh defender. I think he has been spending time down back in the VFL and St.Kilda have a lot of small forwards.

Reply #88
I think Fisher will be the seventh defender. I think he has been spending time down back in the VFL and St.Kilda have a lot of small forwards.

Unless Fisher's defensive game has developed a lot, I'm not confident v Tigers smalls and Gresham. The two former can steal the game
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #89
With no Membrey, wouldn't surprise me to see Kemp get one of Butler or Higgins....he's got the pace to go with them. Newman probably gets the other....Cincotta might get Gresham.