Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 21 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 5085 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 21 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #30
Hate these MoFos like nothing else, like I mean I really detest them. At halftime I thought it was going to be the same old story again but maybe this side is somehow different. Even at 3/4 time I wasn't sure we were up to it. So many disappointments over the years.
Massive result. Absolutely out of the box massive under the circumstances. Found something and got the job done. The atmosphere at the game was incredible. Really hope the Kemp injury wasn't serious. Can't afford anymore injuries.
Go Blues

Reply #31
Righto, fired off some negativity way too early in the In-Game thread, that's just my conditioning kicking from the last 20 odd years so apologies. I can't stand Stk, they have caused us ,much grief over the years so it was awesome to get the win.
Apologies to Paddy Dow, threw some shade over him and ending up being one of our match winners.
Newman goes from strength to strength, incredible.
A solid performance in the end against a side who has dined out on us in the past all achieved without Charlie barely firing a shot (on the scoreboard).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32
Lots of positives for us but there’s one question that should have been put to Lyon:

Why did you continue with an extra player in defence when you lost the lead?
Yep... and Ross, Lenny and Cory can you come up with something different than Sinclair to the middle?

Reply #33
Righto, fired off some negativity way too early in the In-Game thread, that's just my conditioning kicking from the last 20 odd years so apologies. I can't stand Stk, they have caused us ,much grief over the years so it was awesome to get the win.
Apologies to Paddy Dow, threw some shade over him and ending up being one of our match winners.
Newman goes from strength to strength, incredible.
A solid performance in the end against a side who has dined out on us in the past all achieved without Charlie barely firing a shot (on the scoreboard).

You were right on Dow GTC...Voss was going to sub him off until that goal went through, he still makes a lot of errors and while I liked his efforts to get the ball today and he played a good second half he is still 50/50 to turn it over when he gets the ball and I cant see him holding his spot when the big dogs like Walsh and Cerra come back.

Reply #34
You were right on Dow GTC...Voss was going to sub him off until that goal went through, he still makes a lot of errors and while I liked his efforts to get the ball today and he played a good second half he is still 50/50 to turn it over when he gets the ball and I cant see him holding his spot when the big dogs like Walsh and Cerra come back.
I just wonder if that goal to put us in front was the turning point for him, his confidence would have been sky high at the point. I thought he got better as the game went on. He was important today, it seems the key to our success over the last 7 weeks is players just going their job, no more no less.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #35
Was a good goal and he looked quicker than I have seen him before, hopefully the club dont feel the need to waste money on Jade Gresham given the form of our small forwards in recent weeks.

I agree. Let's spend it on Marcus Bontempelli instead.

Reply #36
I agree. Let's spend it on Marcus Bontempelli instead.
Is Bont even getable?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #37
I've been really concerned with Acres disposal but it was much,much better today.

Just listening to Voss's press conference...while giving him some praise for his effort he talked of Dow wanting to be an AFL player and his comments were very much couched in terms of the present, and what Dow can do for us now, rather than the future. I think he'll still be on the table and we'll take the best offer...and Dow will get some more senior time at another club.
But he does seem popular with his team-mates and the crowd appreciated his late match effort.
As Voss said they probably would have rioted if he was subbed out after the goal.

Was interesting to see a number of players go to Stocker at the end of the game for a catch-up.

Reply #38
Is Bont even getable?
Nope.....Bont would be a shortner for the Brownlow with Nick Daicos indisposed for a while, with a name like Bontempelli he should have been in Navy Blue and adorned over the windows in Lygon Street. Imagine Bont and Cripps in the same team.....

Reply #39
Dow played a good quality game and gave a great effort. I agree with others, that when Cerra and Walsh return it will be difficult to find a place for Dow in the starting 22. However with efforts like today in future games, Dow will raise his value which will definitely give him opportunities at another club. His value could return our side some rewards with trade.

One thing caught my eye and I was wondering if anyone else saw the same thing. While Ed was being close to be entered as a sub he was talking on the phone a couple of times. It looked like he was being given instructions on how to execute his role in the last quarter. All while sitting right next to Voss. Was this because Voss as senior coach had too much focus on the game and what other players were doing? Was this because individual coaches give specific game instructions which is part of their role? Allowing the head coach to focus on rotating the bench. I would have thought that traditionally the head coach next to his player on the bench would give specific instructions. Have we moved from traditional ways instructions are communicated? I am not painting a negative aspect of what I was watching but found it different to what I would usually see. Maybe I haven’t noticed this in the past. I caught this buy timing of where the cameras were pointing at a particular moment. Thumbs up if this is the way to go.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #40

Tom de Koning barely had a touch in the first half.

After half time: Tom de Koning was far more effective. he got the ball, he got his hand on the ball and his goal was a miracle.
TDK doesn't look like a key forward and neither does Pitto but both have different attributes to offer as on-ball ruckmen. 

Might be too late this season but, with TDK's mobility, I would like to see him tried in different roles instead of being ineffective as a key forward.  I reckon he could contribute as a tall defender (allowing Weiters to play at CHB) or provide interesting match up options as HFF or as winger.

Reply #41
Is Bont even getable?

Not sure, but let's start with the money we save on Gresham, improved cash position with McGovern's reduced contract, and go from there. That's about $600-700k, and we can offload a couple of others to bring that to over $1Million. Not sure about draft / trade currency......

Reply #42
TDK doesn't look like a key forward and neither does Pitto but both have different attributes to offer as on-ball ruckmen. 

Might be too late this season but, with TDK's mobility, I would like to see him tried in different roles instead of being ineffective as a key forward.  I reckon he could contribute as a tall defender (allowing Weiters to play at CHB) or provide interesting match up options as HFF or as winger.
I could be wrong but perhaps its yet another role he is asked to play which is a sacrificial one for the team. He may be there resting but taking a good defender whilst either creating space for Charlie or getting to the smalls. Liked Tom's bullocking yesterday, imposed him on a number of occasions. An example was that goal from the stoppage which whilst lucky was intentional.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #43
Not sure, but let's start with the money we save on Gresham, improved cash position with McGovern's reduced contract, and go from there. That's about $600-700k, and we can offload a couple of others to bring that to over $1Million. Not sure about draft / trade currency......
Surely there is no way he walks away on the Dogs, apart from being the skipper, he is too loyal I reckon. In any case, he is contracted for 2024 so a trade would have to me massive.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #44
Surely there is no way he walks away on the Dogs, apart from being the skipper, he is too loyal I reckon. In any case, he is contracted for 2024 so a trade would have to me massive.
I’d be properly shocked if he ever left the Dogs.  He is royalty there.