Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 21 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 5157 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 21 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #75
I have Dow in front of Kennedy at the moment. Due to his durability and is showing he is improving as he is maturing.

He is becoming very strong around the hips and gaining alot of confidence in his ability I dont think we have seen the ceiling in Dow.

Reply #76
I have Dow in front of Kennedy at the moment. Due to his durability and is showing he is improving as he is maturing.

He is becoming very strong around the hips and gaining alot of confidence in his ability I dont think we have seen the ceiling in Dow.

It wouldn't be difficult to be in front of Kennedy at the moment.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #77
It wouldn't be difficult to be in front of Kennedy at the moment.

What I meant to say if both were fit and in form - I would go for Dow his burst of speed out of congestion is devastating at times.

Kennedy is the superior kick and more hard nosed the type of player Vossy adores. But Dow is more reliable and someone you can pick in your best 22 most weeks and reliably. IMO of course.

Reply #78
With Cerra, Walsh and Kennedy to return, I cant see Paddy staying in the 22 but he might be the ideal sub where he has proven handy in his many games in that role.
Got no doubt that Voss being old school and a hardnosed coalface mid by trade favors the Kennedy, Ed Curnow meat and veg type players...

Reply #79
Just a guess.
I wouldn't be surprised if a decision on Dow has already been made, quite amicably and honest, in fact.
A tough, frank conversation, that lets Dow know that if he wants to play at senior level he's behind a few already and opportunities will also be given to younger players ahead of him, so Carlton might not be the best option.

Dow's been told that he's free to look around, and while we're down a few players we'll give him some game time to show what he has to offer other clubs.
Works to the advantage of both player and club.
We get a good trade, and Dow finds some regular game time at a new home.
The only danger is we may have a few disgruntled supporters if he has a good end to the year.

But of course nothing is ever set in stone and minds can change...pretty much as the sub switch changed yesterday.

It's a funny one because we kind of got a glimpse of reasons he hasn't been picked in the first half...and yet he showed in the second half that it may be that he just needs some consistent game time to show his best.
He seems popular with players and a large percentage of supporters...you rarely see a response like the crowd gave him after his goal.

He was interviewed after the game and asked about him playing and finally getting a full game in the middle. He said something along the lines of...its a tough midfield, we've got a few injuries, so im just trying to make the most of my opportunities.

He said most of that without cracking a smile. Now he's not the most smiley type of guy at the best of times, and he may have been nervous because he hasn't done a lot of media, but to me it appeared like it was very bitter sweet for him.
He 'knows' he can contribute, but he knows that he can't get the chance here. So he'll take what he can get, but the cards are stamped.

Reply #80
With Cerra, Walsh and Kennedy to return, I cant see Paddy staying in the 22 but he might be the ideal sub where he has proven handy in his many games in that role.
Got no doubt that Voss being old school and a hardnosed coalface mid by trade favors the Kennedy, Ed Curnow meat and veg type players...

Kennedy is injured a little too much. This squad has serious durability issues.

Dow is hardly ever injured - if he goes that means we have to bring in a 17-18 year old as will be lacking depth.

Delighted with the durability of Hollands, Cowan, Binns and Lemmey in their first year. Especially Hollands that has been bashed from pillar to post and seems that he loves it.

Reply #81
What I meant to say if both were fit and in form - I would go for Dow his burst of speed out of congestion is devastating at times.

Kennedy is the superior kick and more hard nosed the type of player Vossy adores. But Dow is more reliable and someone you can pick in your best 22 most weeks and reliably. IMO of course.

Superior kick, better mark and more hard nosed. Bigger body too.

Dow more reliable??? How so?

Only thing he is more reliable with is turning the ball over on occasions where a senior player would not.

I like the kid, but being reliable in the VFL is one thing. At AFL he hasn't proved he can be reliable at all yet.

Reply #82
Paddy had an average day in the midfield by our standards but a good game relative to his form over the last couple of seasons.  He’s an adequate replacement but well behind our first choice midfielders.  You do have to acknowledge his determination to win a place in the 22 and his endeavour when he gets a run.

One of the hallmarks of Vossy’s coaching is his honesty and relationship with players.  It was obvious that they were trying to get Paddy to the bench to be subbed and it would have been wrong for Vossy to deny that he was about to be subbed.  Vossy’s comments were just right for the situation; reward for effort.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #83
Kennedy is injured a little too much. This squad has serious durability issues.

Dow is hardly ever injured - if he goes that means we have to bring in a 17-18 year old as will be lacking depth.

Delighted with the durability of Hollands, Cowan, Binns and Lemmey in their first year. Especially Hollands that has been bashed from pillar to post and seems that he loves it.

Hollands has been good value but you have to look after your young slightly built players and thats why a grunt like Kennedy needs to be in the team along with Hewett imo to take some heat off those younger kids and absorb the punishment.

Reply #84
Hollands has been good value but you have to look after your young slightly built players and thats why a grunt like Kennedy needs to be in the team along with Hewett imo to take some heat off those younger kids and absorb the punishment.

If anything i think Hewitt is the weakest link in the Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Kennedy and Hewitt midfield rotations.
That doesn't mean he can't play, but that the others simply offer more.

Reply #85
If anything i think Hewitt is the weakest link in the Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Kennedy and Hewitt midfield rotations.
That doesn't mean he can't play, but that the others simply offer more.
Take your point as he offers less offensively than the others but I like it when both Kennedy and Hewett are in the team and in the latters case its because he can find the footy but at the same time lockdown on an opponent and in that regard I think that is a point of difference with our other mids and he has taken Ed Curnows role in the team.
While its less fashionable these days I'm pro having a couple of lockdown/taggers in the team....

Reply #86
A friend recently attended a match day luncheon and had a long conversation with an older Carlton player long retired  - cannot remember who.  The talk apparently turned to Dow and my friend was told he is quite happy playing VFL and has other things in his life he pursues so a big AFL career is not the be all and end all for him.

Reply #87
A friend recently attended a match day luncheon and had a long conversation with an older Carlton player long retired  - cannot remember who.  The talk apparently turned to Dow and my friend was told he is quite happy playing VFL and has other things in his life he pursues so a big AFL career is not the be all and end all for him.

If true, this is a red flag and can be deemed as a list clogger.
Everyone on an AFL list should NOT be happy playing VFL. They should be working their behinds off to play AFL, or give the spot to someone who is.
If true.

Reply #88
Whatever one thinks of Dow we need mature depth players. Like Young, Fish, SOS, Cincotta, Boyd

Reply #89
Just watched q1 replay. We had plenty of the ball and opportunities to score. We were definitely inaccurate and fumbled under the pressure. Owies, Crippa, Cottrell all had good looks. We also fluffed a couple of deep i50's by over-cooking it slightly. Unfortunately, resulting in TO's

Acres running, marking on the defensive goal-line and i50 was superb. Goal well deserved.

Gee Dow got triple tackled at times. Young Ollie bounced around by big boys like a ping-pong ball. Such a resilient young man.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.