Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 22 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 5514 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 22 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #15
I think if Kemp can't get up for this game then Young needs to be the next man up.

Reply #16
Do we bring Young into the team and play him or TDK forward? Charlie had 2 and sometimes 3 blokes on him yes,terday and May and Lever will be double teaming him this week. Young won't kick a bag of goals but at least a tall presence.

Maybe Doc plays more down back this week to replace Kemp and Ed comes into the starting 22 and Binns as the sub?

You are thinking about it all backwards.

Firstly, we don't need to bring in forwards to play on their backmen. They need to find matchups for our forwards.

Secondly, it doesn't matter if Charlie is double teamed, it means we have a free player elsewhere......use them.

Finally, We need to play how we want to play. We are winning playing the way we are playing. Why change it?
The only thing we need to look at changing is how we enter F50 when Charlie is being double teamed. He is probably good enough to beat 2 opponents half the time. However, whoever the spare player is is good enough to beat nobody 100% of the time. So lets look for the spare man and let them double team Charlie.

Reply #17
Petty out for Melbourne is a real loss after starring as a forward and no sign of bogey players like Oliver or Fritsch on the horizon either which is a real help. Petracca being forced to play forward is also another bonus for our mids.
Of course with Petty out do Melbourne do the obvious and play Grundy hoping for a big rebound and collective effort from both their star ruckman to prove the critics and media wrong.
Only way I can see Melbourne winning is if the latter happens and one of Grundy or Gawn catches fire down forward along with Pickett and Petracca but I dont see it and imo Melbournes form isnt that great.
Id expect Charlie to be all over May as well remembering the whole successful May/Lever double act was based around Petty doing the grunt defending work and that wont be happening.
Melbourne are tough physically especially around the ball and having played a tough game vs Stkilda I hope our blokes are up to another grinding type game.

Reply #18
Are we expecting anyone to come back from injury this week? I heard Doc on radio the other day after the game, he explained how system based they are now so when someone comes in, they know exactly what to do and what's expected of them. The last 7 weeks confirms this.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #19
I think if Kemp can't get up for this game then Young needs to be the next man up.

Fortunately, players rarely miss games for cramp 🙂
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20
Fortunately, players rarely miss games for cramp 🙂
Oh, was it only cramp? I thought it was another hammy. Haven't seen anything anywhere about it.

Reply #21
Ben McKay fixed up Petty for us.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #22
How about Jack he has a strained knee not a medial.

Proper update please would be nice to get Walshy, Jack and Boyd back to see where we sit as I think this could potentially be grand final rehearsal.

Reply #24
“How do you solve a problem like Pitt-o-net”…
Competes at the bounce and throw-in but offers nothing else. Doesn’t kick goals and doesn’t take intercept marks

Reply #25
Competes at the bounce and throw-in but offers nothing else. Doesn’t kick goals and doesn’t take intercept marks

Not to mention his defensive positioning is atrocious.

Unfortunately not many quality rucks out there and I don't think TDK can do it alone.

Reply #26
Oh, was it only cramp? I thought it was another hammy. Haven't seen anything anywhere about it.

Kemp went off with what seemed to be cramp.  His leg wasn’t iced after the game, he was moving freely and he had a huge grin on his face … like his teammates.

None of the commentators mentioned a hammy and he wasn’t listed as injured in any of the match reports 🤞
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27

A weird week to post such nonsence.

Pittonet had 3 marks to TDKs 1.
Pittonet had 1 contested mark to TDK's 0
Pittonet had 2 intercept marks to TDKs 0
Pittonet could've had a shot on goal, but went the short option instead.
TDK did have 2 shots on goal, but they were far from clear shots and more good fortune than good luck that it went through.

We dominated the clearance battle and Pittonets 10 hitouts to advantage just might've had something to do with it. TDK had 3 hitouts to advantage
My favourite stat RC-HTA%*
Pittonet - 19.6%
TDK - 9.1%

*For those who don't know, that is the likelyhood a ruckman will get a hitout to advantage from each ruck contest he attends.

....and he played 12% less TOG over TDK as well.

And all of this, and it wasn't even one of Pittonets better games. But sure, he is the problem.

Reply #28
I gave Pittonet a vote, he was the one that had to take on Marshall more often than not and evened up the contest after half time which helped us get back in the game after Marshall dominated early. Way under appreciated is Pittonet and I dont think we would have won without him.

Reply #29
Pitto is a crab - if you cant defend nor kick goals as a ruckman then thats a crab.

Comparing stats when TDK spent most of his time forward is ludicrous.