Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 22 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 6078 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 22 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Ready for after the game.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFL Rd 22 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #1
Feck me. I did not see this one coming. How much opportunities to win, do you give your side by hitting a lead early in the last quarter. That has to be the best victory this season yet. Forget the Saints game. This was a tight game against real quality opponents. We have knocked over the three best sides in the league. What does that tell us? Any mention of Collingwood having the best coach this season will piss me off more than anything. I don’t know how we have turned a bottom 4 side into a potential genuine contender in 8 weeks is something I have never seen. 8 wins in a row. Three of the best sides. All with an injury list. How many wins in a row are needed to win a flag? lol. Kidding with that comment. Too many injuries to bring back into the side and trouble pushing players out. TDK was ordinary in the first half. Absolute warhorse after that. We won without the clearance domination we have had.

We had the umpires call every opportunity to keep Melbourne in the game. Without bias and I will not call umpires out often enough, but tonight Lever and May could jumper hold, wrestle, and push Charlie in the back with every opportunity. Nothing to see here. How many push in the back free kicks were paid the other way with our defenders. Free kick for a dangerous tackle which is very debatable in the last minutes of the game. I just hope Doc is good with his calf corker. We miss him so much when he is not on the ground. You can’t put a value on this guy.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #2
I'm leading 2 tipping comps, and i tipped us tonight, and everyone else in the top 8 tipped the dees.  >:D

VERY happy with that win.

Reply #3
Great gritty win, finals beckon, that game had real heat in the contest and we had a good even contribution that stood up in that finals type atmosphere and that's what you need to win finals.
Very happy to bank that victory and we should win straight through to finals now...

Reply #4
What a victory! Mirabile Visu!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #5
That was a tough night for a man of my age. The longest penalty shootout in history before the Matildas won, then this, another nerve racking cliff hanger.

That was a tough win. Had to really earn that one more than any for a long time. Great performance!

Reply #6
good tough win.
We are playing finals!

Reply #7
Martin is a gun - smart, tough, skilful. Marchbank is the goal line hero. Dow may get dropped, but he doesn't deserve that fate - he's barely put a foot wrong. De Koning, whom I dearly love, will start clunking those almost marks sooner or later.

And Acres is everywhere. Those MCG Acres were his tonight.

Reply #8
good tough win.
We are playing finals!
Hard not to at the moment. I will enjoy watching the game tomorrow. Just wish I'd been there tonight.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #9
Still doubting TDK, plays like a mid, might top our contested possessions against a team that has Gawn, Oliver, Petracca, etc., etc...

Once he stops worrying about winning the taps and concentrates on 2nd efforts even Gawn can't go with him, the opponents just do not have the recovery or mobility, all TDK has to do is contest in the air then mop stuff up on the ground. Guys like Cripps and Hewett must absolutely love playing with him when he gets on a role!

Gawn had a crap load of taps but stuff all impact, that's the magic of our ruck combination!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
Brilliant, winning is the best. But the effort, tackling and hard running fills the heart.
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #11
Two heart attacks in one night, Maltildas penalty shoot out then our game. Gutsy finals like win against a top side. Respect.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #12
I thought we'd win IF we could play our 'style'. What I wasn't sure about was if we could sustain it.

Bug#ger me. We did it in a heart stopper. I was listening on AFL Nation with our very own McClure again. I'm not going to lie. I prayed to the footy gods for the entire final 2.5mins. Setting myself a new record 😆

Can't wait to read your thoughts and watch the replay once or twice.

Any news on Doc's calf?

Gee I hope we've got players returning from injury. This group will be wrecked.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #13
Still doubting TDK, plays like a mid, might top our contested possessions against a team that has Gawn, Oliver, Petracca, etc., etc...

Once he stops worrying about winning the taps and concentrates on 2nd efforts even Gawn can't go with him, the opponents just do not have the recovery or mobility, all TDK has to do is contest in the air then mop stuff up on the ground. Guys like Cripps and Hewett must absolutely love playing with him when he gets on a role!

Gawn had a crap load of taps but stuff all impact, that's the magic of our ruck combination!
Write that again, but instead of TDK, write Jack Silvagni. ;)

People want to play him because he is a 'genuine ruck'....and here you are telling him not to worry about the ruck, just contest.
FWIW, He only had 1 hta from 45 ruck contests (2%) Pittonet was poor as well but had 4 / 63 (6%) with 18% less TOG.

Which is what i've been saying about Jack all year. He doesn't need to worry about the ruck, just contest and get the ball on the ground.
Jack gets more ball on the ground. Takes more marks and kicks more goals.
So why are we choosing TDK?

Honestly, there was a lot of love for TDK from the commentators, but despite 'contesting' what did he do? He kicked a nice goal early.....but he didn't take any contested marks all game.....but he dropped a handful including one at the death that almost cost us the game....and he said as much himself.
His DE% tonight was 47.1% Only cottrell had worse in navy blue (46.2%)

He showed plenty of potential, but as i said a week or so ago, it was another case of the 'almosts'. He almost took a good mark. He almost found a teammate with his kick. He almost....

Again, we need to play both him and Pitto at the moment due to injuries. But if Harry and Jack are both fit, personally, i'm not picking TDK on form.