Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 23 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 2951 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 23 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #45
Yep good today,  but great would have been knocking them out in a final...
Yes, but it's now 19 years without a finals win all but assured. That equals their last streak before this one without winning a flag (1965-1984)!!!
Now, we wouldn't want that to stop, if they beat us, would we?

Reply #46
From the pre-game thread....
But he's always going to play finals if fit, and probably better to get a few games into him before the finals.

Yes, there is no way Vossy and co wouldn't pick Harry.

My preference is to pick him and 1 ruck only, which has the same effect of not picking him and playing 2 rucks, that is pressure would remain equivalent.

I'm just worried that us messing with the side too much going into finals could hurt us. Going away from the players, the positions and the pressure that got us on the streak could be a hard lesson to learn.
Harry wasn't great today, and our pressure was definitely down from what it was. Some of that is to be expected, some of that could be coincidence, but i'll be keeping a strong eye on it.

Reply #47
Harry didn't rack up lots of possessions but he kept Collins well away from helping out Ballard against Charlie; this alone was massive.

Reply #48
Didn't turn up to play, missed opportunities to seal the game in the third quarter, then let them kick away at the start of the last, almost a typical Carlton game of the past, but fortunately we didn't blow it this time. Hopefully the attitude at the club is not satisfaction of making the eight but disappointment at not making the top four. We have won nine on the trot and have five to go. We are just starting to meet our potential but we have just got to keep working on our mindset and keep developing a winning culture.
Gold Coast have a lot of talent after all the draft help they have received and they would have been smarting after how we embarrassed them last time so it should not have been a surprise at how hard they came out of the blocks this time. The third quarter was typical of Carlton's fear of failure fear of success conundrum we have lived through over the past few years. However we did not drop our heads this time when Gold Coast kicked away but found a way to get back to the front and we managed to hold on.
Walsh, Cerra and maybe McGovern to come back and then a week off. Need to win next week and set up ourselves for a real tilt at the finals.
Go Blues.

Reply #49
With our injuries to key personnel a number of blokes have risen to embrace increased responsibility and effort over the past 2 months, impressively... but it does take a toll on some.

We looked 'off'/tired at the start and the Suns were sure 'on'. But we found a way to win. A 44 pt turnaround is impressive in anyone's book... especially against a side that grows extra legs and brims with confidence on their home dung heap. Culture, discipline and leadership on display after qtr time.

I think we missed Fog's forward line pressure and support for others, and I wonder if we weren't a little top heavy with adjusting to H being there taking a little time. H will be better for the run.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #50
Nice comeback inspired by an epic performance from Charlie but overall we were poor and would have lost to most other sides.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #51
Had it on pretty good authority that Cripps was lucky to play. Copped the knee from Petracca in the ribs/sternum late in the game last week and clearly played very sore.

An ugly win....but we only needed the 4 points and we got them.

Another huge game from Newman and Fisher also really good again.

Not sold on Ed as the sub going forward....he turned it over quite a few times in the last quarter. And Marchbank still looks a bit shaky and a bit slow at times. Maybe it's just because he's missed so much footy but he'll need to be a lot sharper if he's going to hold his spot in the next few weeks.

Reply #52
Had it on pretty good authority that Cripps was lucky to play. Copped the knee from Petracca in the ribs/sternum late in the game last week and clearly played very sore.
I heard a similar thing, except it didn't mention Petracca but a rather dog act from a Melbourne player inside a stoppage. I won't mention names in case the rumour is bogus, but hopefully someone finds some footage.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
Don't know about any dog acts to cripps, but it was pretty clear that he went to tackle someone against melbourne who planted their shoulder directly into his sternum, and he stayed down a bit after wards.

Not sure if that was THE incidicent, but it stood out to me at the time.

Reply #54
It was definitely Petracca....

Reply #55
So cracked small ribs or ligaments, if it's ligaments that will hang around for the rest of the season.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56
Cripps shouldn't have played and definitely should have been subbed off. We have been great at backing our depth for the last couple of months, hope we font get silly now playing injured players.

In the old days a half fit champion could still play but not anymore.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #57
Charlie did a good imitation of Kouta, setting up a goal then going back and saving the day in the last line of defence with a great mark. What a player.

I was about to post the same thing. The most Kouta-like performance since '99 Prelim. Charlie was incredible - aside from his defensive mark and individual goals, many are forgetting the goals he set up with the kicks to H and Owies probably some of the best field kicks I've seen.

And to top it off the fact we are playing finals and Essenscum copped a belting! Couldn't be happier!