Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Elimination Final 1 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney  (Read 9900 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Elimination Final 1 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #210
I don't expect the MC to over think it too much.

I doubt we'll go too young and probably seasoned heads will get the nod ahead of the newbies, Cincotta as a mature age might be the exception but even he in his first AFL season might struggle a bit.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #211
Kennedy and Fogarty would be ins for me and Id have Cuningham and Cottrell out with the latter as my sub.

What's Kennedy's injury status...he doesn't show up on the injury list, even as a test, but he has missed a few weeks now.

Reply #212
Its never been so hard to pick a 23 man line up. I see this is as a positive and negative, get it wrong and it's curtains.
A few very unlucky chappies, sub to come from one of the emergencies, all have strengths/weaknesses.
I have settled on this (probably completely wrong) but didn't have the balls to pick a sub ;D

Same as mine except you've got Chugga in for Marchy.  The MC has to go a different route now  ::)

I couldn't pick a sub either   :-\
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #213
What's Kennedy's injury status...he doesn't show up on the injury list, even as a test, but he has missed a few weeks now.

Apparently he was right to play Rnd 24 but wasn't picked, so available.

Reply #214
Had a good chance to listen to Voss in the press. Spoke very well. Didn’t give too much away as to what was the plan and who is playing and what role for which players. What about the weather, keeping mid players that perform well for the Swans quiet. Voss has a simple solution. You have a system and how to play any side. It doesn’t change much. You have a role so stick to it and do your job. You will lose momentum from time to time. Absorb the pressure and wrestle the momentum back in our favour. Stick to a simple plan and do your job. It doesn’t matter too much about who is selected and in what positions. Do what has worked best in the last 10 weeks and odds are it is a plan that can get the job done no matter who is on the field.

He addressed questions about targeting Cripps and Charlie and stopping their gun players. It isn’t about one or two players. You can’t stop an entire list with too much focus on individuals. Stick to the plan. Wrestle back ever contest possible. Back your confidence and self belief. Enjoy the hype. Embrace the feeling of excitement and have fun. Just remember once the siren goes, to get to your designated task as soon as possible and perform your role. You know what the winning formula looks like and what losing looks like. Do what it was to win and get you into finals. His experience in past finals can only go so far as the game has evolved and changed. This is your opportunity and it sits in your hands. He will back you and trust you will deliver.

He may have made me too confident but he is different to what he was like at the Lions. He is more relaxed and more confident since we almost completely bottomed out 10 weeks ago. He has that cheeky smile answering questions where he believes in this squad. Not that serious look in a coaches face looking stressed and not knowing what to do next.

Even his response as to how Acres is and is it wise to play him if he isn’t 100% ready. Voss said he had his fitness test and passed with flying colours. His is ready to go and eagerly ready for his opportunity to deliver. You would think a coach in this elimination finals situation to be reserved and a little nervous. Has he brought some mongrel into the players mindset? That last game looked like we rotated players to the bench to rest and not go into this final with injuries. It did not look like an all need to win the game at any cost.

Commentator experts still talk about our lack of finals experience and how this could be a disadvantage in this next game against a hungry Swans group that failed last season in the most important game of the year. What about how hungry this group might be to get a taste of a first finals kill in many years.

If we lost this game we would result overall at 7th. Not a disaster. Not great either. If we win it will be at least top 4 as a final result. Voss might get a very good pass for the season or at least resurrection of a potential fail to still get a pass for the entire season. Now we just have to win. There is no other result to look at. The players now need to back the coach in all the way in every contest. Rain, hail or Blizzard it has to be win. At any cost.

Our lack of finals experience is a double edged sword.

We don't know how our side will handle finals but neither will the opposition, and weve seen what they can do.  The mcg offsets any perceived advantage that the Swans might think our inexperience might give them.

There are some players who are just built for this environment.  Usually the unexpected ones are the ones that do the most damage.

The Swans are dangerous, but they've struggled to run out 4 quarters all season.   We have had our fair share of flat patches too.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #215
Doesn't matter how you pick your 22 (or 23) there are good players who deserve to be in the team who simply won't be.

I understand why the MC are doing it, but i really think picking the 2 rucks will hurt us....especially in the rain/hail that is expected tomorrow. Depending on how you pick your team, a lot of people are having the likes of Newman, Kennedy, Fogarty (or multiple of) out of the side to include that 2nd ruck. I think this is a mistake.

Look, we are good enough to beat the swans with 1 ruck, 2 rucks and perhaps even 0 rucks. So a win/loss won't really prove anything one way or another, but i'm worried about coming up against better opposition. I want to sort out a settled lineup. We should be picking our GF side now

Reply #216
I can see a good argument for going in with just one ruck for a game in wild conditions.
It's probably a wait and see, to have a look how bad conditions are...there's a bit of a difference of opinion as to how bad they will be come match time.
You can always make a change like one of the rucks for one of the emergencies if conditions demand.

The one ruck/two ruck argument probably comes down a bit to the opposition.
I reckon we'd struggle against Melbourne if we went in with just one.

Reply #217
I can see a good argument for going in with just one ruck for a game in wild conditions.
It's probably a wait and see, to have a look how bad conditions are...there's a bit of a difference of opinion as to how bad they will be come match time.
You can always make a change like one of the rucks for one of the emergencies if conditions demand.

I had a work go-kart day booked for tomorrow.
Its been postponed because of the terrible weather we are expecting.
Winds will be full on. There will be some rain...and potentially hail. Top of about 11-12 degrees.....a lot less for game time.

It is Melbourne, so it could end up being 30 and sunny tomorrow instead, but i doubt it.

Reply #218

I reckon we'd struggle against the Swans with their one ruck and two (or three) ruck/forwards.  Unlike Harry, McLean is a competent ruckman and McDonald and Amartey know their way around a ball up.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #219
I reckon we'd struggle against the Swans with their one ruck and two (or three) ruck/forwards.  Unlike Harry, McLean is a competent ruckman and McDonald and Amartey know their way around a ball up.

Not if the ball is on the ground all game. The rucks aren't picking it up.

Reply #220
I had a work go-kart day booked for tomorrow.
Its been postponed because of the terrible weather we are expecting.
Winds will be full on. There will be some rain...and potentially hail. Top of about 11-12 degrees.....a lot less for game time.

It is Melbourne, so it could end up being 30 and sunny tomorrow instead, but i doubt it.

We won't really know for sure until closer to the game.
I mentioned earlier that I'd had a look at around half a dozen forecast sites and there was a fair bit of variation in  the forecast.
Most seemed to be that the worst of the rain and wind would be in the afternoon and easing as the night went on.
The selections may tell a story in terms of the flexibility it allows to make a few late changes if needed.

Reply #221
In: P.Cripps, S.Docherty, M.Pittonet
Out: Z.Fisher (omitted), O.Hollands (omitted), P.Dow (omitted), C.Durdin (omitted)

R24 sub: Caleb Marchbank

Reply #222
Dow, Kennedy, Hollands, Fisher and Motlop are all quite unlucky while Boyd and Young are also a bit unlucky, as is  Silvagni. Depending on the weather there may be some changes and anyone who is currently in the side and who misses out would also be quite unlucky. This is all a good thing for the team.

Reply #223
IN: Cripps, Docherty, Pittonet.
OUT: Dow, Durdin, Fisher, Hollands.

EMERG: Dow, Fisher, Hollands, Motlop.

Hope Motlop is the sub.

Looking good.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #224
Pittonet should not play IMO. In poor conditions 2 ruckman + McKay too top heavy.
Let TDK ruck for 20 mins a quarter and H  can relieve him. The ball is going to be mostly on the ground. Pitonet will be a liability.