Skip to main content
Topic: AFL 2023 Semi Final Carlton vs Melbourne at the MCG (Read 8305 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL 2023 Semi Final Carlton vs Melbourne at the MCG

Reply #195
Same. A heart and soul type who you'd reckon is built for finals from an attitude point of view. You know he'd leave absolutely nothing on the field. We finally make finals and doesn't get into the side, heart breaking.
OMEN ALERT
SOS gets left out this year (like his dad in 86) and we lose the GF. Next year, he gets selected and we win it (like his dad in 87).
Lock it in.

We can but dream....
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #196
I have this sneaky suspicion Blacres won't get up.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #197
Game day.
Go you Blue Baggers!!!
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #198
Just spoke to a mate of mine who is a die-hard Dees member. Player sponsor, MCC member, the whole works.

I asked him who is going to win....he said Carlton by 3-4 goals.
Reason being, Dees forward structure fails against good teams.

I hope he's right.

Reply #199
Just spoke to a mate of mine who is a die-hard Dees member. Player sponsor, MCC member, the whole works.

I asked him who is going to win....he said Carlton by 3-4 goals.
Reason being, Dees forward structure fails against good teams.

I hope he's right.

They don't really have a forward structure, at least not a settled one. 

They have tried Brown (7 games for 11 goals), Grundy (17 for 10) and McDonald (7 for 9) as key forwards and none of them have worked.  Van Rooyen (20 for 28) is probably their most consistent tall forward but his attempt at thuggery cost him a place in the team.  Fritsch (16 for 36) and Pickett (22 for 35) are their most dangerous forwards.  After that, they rely on midfielders and they won't be getting too many easy opportunities.  Melksham is a significant loss too.

Our seven in form defenders and overall team defence should ensure that Melbourne don't get to jury rig a forward structure.

We'll miss Harry and Jack but we've shown that we can adjust to the circumstances ... like having nine goal scorers last week when Charlie and Harry were quiet.  Ash Hansen has done a pretty good job with our forward structures.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #200
Hollands Sub

Reply #201
This mob will be very hard to beat tonight, make no mistake about it. They are talented and very well coached and as I have said before, they will not play two stickers in a row, especially in front of goal. The likelihood of them going out in straight sets from top 4 is very slim IMO. We, structurally, have two very important players out and couple (Cripps and Acres) are a little banged up. If its tight I'd like to think we have had enough practice at hanging on our pinching it. Defensively they have to pillars who will make life hard for Charlie. 
Top 10s In no particular order:
Charlie
Cripps
Cerra
Walsh
George
Acres
Weiters
Doc
Saad
TDK
V
Gawn
Petracca
Oliver
Viney
Fritsch
Pickett
Langdon
May
Lever
Salem
Too hard to call.

2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #202

They have tried Brown (7 games for 11 goals), Grundy (17 for 10) and McDonald (7 for 9) as key forwards and none of them have worked.  Van Rooyen (20 for 28) is probably their most consistent tall forward but his attempt at thuggery cost him a place in the team.  Fritsch (16 for 36) and Pickett (22 for 35) are their most dangerous forwards.  After that, they rely on midfielders and they won't be getting too many easy opportunities.  Melksham is a significant loss too.

Our seven in form defenders and overall team defence should ensure that Melbourne don't get to jury rig a forward structure.

We'll miss Harry and Jack but we've shown that we can adjust to the circumstances ... like having nine goal scorers last week when Charlie and Harry were quiet.  Ash Hansen has done a pretty good job with our forward structures.
Well that's basically it, they don't have one that they can rely on because the consistency isn't there.

I think we are slightly too tall down back though. If they play through the smaller players, we'll struggle chasing tail.

Reply #203

Agree....but Id add Petracca to their forward line and it looks a lot more dangerous, I would have preferred them adding Brown or Grundy, the smaller lineup with Petracca down there concerns me more. They bombed the ball last week and wasted opportunities but with less tall targets they will be looking to run and carry the ball I50 more and I wouldnt want us to be too tall or slow down back.

Reply #204
Agree....but Id add Petracca to their forward line and it looks a lot more dangerous, I would have preferred them adding Brown or Grundy, the smaller lineup with Petracca down there concerns me more. They bombed the ball last week and wasted opportunities but with less tall targets they will be looking to run and carry the ball I50 more and I wouldnt want us to be too tall or slow down back.

Petracca going forward is a bit of a two-edged sword.  He can be dangerous and is big enough and quick enough to trouble a lot of defenders and will demand Kemp or Guv as an opponent.  The downside for Melbourne is that their midfield is considerably weaker without him.

I was hoping for Brown or Grundy too.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #205
Yep, that's the worry for me..our defence is too tall and slow. Marchbank should have been replaced with a quicker player.

Reply #206
Yep, that's the worry for me..our defence is too tall and slow. Marchbank should have been replaced with a quicker player.

I think that our defenders match up very well against Melbourne's forwards in terms of size and quickness:

Petracca 187      Kemp 193
Fritsch 188      McGovern 191
Jordan 187      Marchbank 193
Sparrow 183      Cincotta 186
McDonald 195   Weitering 196
Neale-Bullen 183   Cincotta 186
Chandler 175           Saad 178
Spargo 173

And our team defence and defensive structure will be too much for a cobbled together forward line that is struggling to score.

Effectively, McGovern has replaced Fisher from our last game against Melbourne.  Melbourne has replaced Grundy, Melksham and Van Rooyen with McDonald, Fritsch and Spargo.  Fritsch is a positive for them, even if he's going at half rat power.  Melksham and Van Rooyen are significant outs.

Reply #207
I rate Hollands but I would have gone Dow, simply because I reckon the Dees are going to try to hammer us early and being lighter bodied Hollands might get targeted.   Watch for Viney to do something stupid early on, he's got form.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #208
I rate Hollands but I would have gone Dow, simply because I reckon the Dees are going to try to hammer us early and being lighter bodied Hollands might get targeted.   Watch for Viney to do something stupid early on, he's got form.
He's the sub though.  You can't hammer a bloke on the bench.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #209
I have nothing to add to the rich discussion on this thread. Rather I'm hoping for our best and believe the rest will follow.

Enjoy Bluebaggers. Cheer with passion and pride. Stay safe and do your best to bring the boys home.

Go Blues. The time is now.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.