Skip to main content
Topic: AFL 2023 Preliminary Final Carlton vs Brisbane Pre Game Prognostications (Read 29111 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL 2023 Preliminary Final Carlton vs Brisbane Pre Game Prognostications

Reply #120
I was listening to Dr Peter Larkin on SEN tonight and Gerard Healy asked hom about the Docs dislocated shoulder. He said it will still quite painful this week and if he gets a decent knock on it, won't be able to continue playing. So big risk playing him. I respect Larkin's opinion and this worries me.

Reply #121
I was listening to Dr Peter Larkin on SEN tonight and Gerard Healy asked hom about the Docs dislocated shoulder. He said it will still quite painful this week and if he gets a decent knock on it, won't be able to continue playing. So big risk playing him. I respect Larkin's opinion and this worries me.

Won't be able to continue playing??? Until they jab him perhaps.

Reply #122
I expect Martin to play an important role for us. Applying his smarts and creativity to what is hopefully a slightly out of sync defence. We can't afford to miss our i50 chances against a team that kicks 100pts.

I don't care who kicks our goals but it has to be the player best placed to score. Similarly our i50 pressure will need to be sustained. Hopefully our mids will get it out to our good runners/ball users.

It will be our greatest challenge yet. Win or lose, I'm one proud Bluebagger.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #123
I expect Martin to play an important role for us. Applying his smarts and creativity to what is hopefully a slightly out of sync defence. We can't afford to miss our i50 chances against a team that kicks 100pts.

I don't care who kicks our goals but it has to be the player best placed to score. Similarly our i50 pressure will need to be sustained. Hopefully our mids will get it out to our good runners/ball users.

It will be our greatest challenge yet. Win or lose, I'm one proud Bluebagger.

Go Blues
Martin trained well and looks like he was stung by the suspension and wants to pay the team back for his out of character indiscretion. I think he has the right matchups this week in players like Mckenna, Wilmot who like to run and play loose or one of Starcevich/Lester who are solid footballers but not blessed with the smarts Martin has.

Reply #124
The kick from the reverse angle is perfect, it drew the receiver (Doc) to the perfect position and forced the Dee's player out of position.  If the kick was the typical flat pass out in front of doc the defender would have had an easy intercept and run off.
Old football maxim...kick the ball to where the receiver needs to be, not where he was.
That whole passage of play was as good as it gets.
- Weiters effects a spoil bringing it to ground.
- Whilst doubling back after the spoil, he intercepts a fwd kick by Melb and picks out Hollands with a pin point pass.
- Ollie whilst showing his pursuant a clean pair of heals, delivers a perfectly weighted kick to Doc.
- Equal to the task, Doc surges fwd to pick out Acres in the goal square with a kick that couldn't be any more perfect.
The rest is history and that passage of play becomes etched in football immortality. Now to put the obligatory icing on the cake.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #125

I think that would be true for someone with a normal pain threshold, but Doc is in a league of his own!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #126
For those eligible, now is the time to register for the grand final ballot.

Reply #127
I've done it. Said I'd accept any ticket including standing room nut had a thought they'll shove me there first.  My preference is a good ticket and I'll pay for it.  I'll accept standing room but id rather not.

What are you guys doing?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #128
I've done it. Said I'd accept any ticket including standing room nut had a thought they'll shove me there first.  My preference is a good ticket and I'll pay for it.  I'll accept standing room but id rather not.

What are you guys doing?

I've done the same as you, and also had the same thought as you after I had pressed the "GO" button - was I dumb enough to allow them to exhaust their standing room allocation?

Main thing is I have a chance of being there I guess.

Reply #129

What are you guys doing?

The advice was to accept any ticket, including standing. Surely priority 1 members, me included :-) , will get a seat... surely... as I look towards the heavens...

Reply #130

I don't think we have too much to worry about.
Much like Melbourne on Acres, in the spirit of sportsmanship, Brisbane won't put any pressure on testing Doc's shoulder, nor Acres shoulder...nor Cripps's ribs...and his nose.

Our sub needs to be someone who can provide plenty of coverage in these areas.

Reply #131

What are you guys doing?
Same and I have two kids with me too so not keen on standing room at all, Altho one kid is taller than me so that would be ok but the other is a little girl.

But I figure if we’re there somewhere then it’s a bloody good day and we’ll take what we get!!

I did think elderly or people with mobility issues, how is that fair on them too?! 

Reply #132
Yep, ticked the "any ticket" box, hopefully seats but otherwise will at least be there.  But first there is the mere formality of rolling Brisbane at Fortress Gabba.

Reply #133
That whole passage of play was as good as it gets.
- Weiters effects a spoil bringing it to ground.
- Whilst doubling back after the spoil, he intercepts a fwd kick by Melb and picks out Hollands with a pin point pass.
- Ollie whilst showing his pursuant a clean pair of heals, delivers a perfectly weighted kick to Doc.
- Equal to the task, Doc surges fwd to pick out Acres in the goal square with a kick that couldn't be any more perfect.
The rest is history and that passage of play becomes etched in football immortality. Now to put the obligatory icing on the cake.

You missed Acres putting pressure on Lever causing him to rush and kick to a contest for Weiters to spoil 🙂
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #134

It was interesting to hear Doc’s account of the injury and his prognosis. 

It wasn’t overly painful.  The physio gave his arm a slight tug as he was running off and it popped back in. He had full movement and strength during testing in the rooms.  He was apprehensive at the start of the third quarter but forgot about his shoulder once he got into the play.

A dislocation to the front does less damage.  Doc will train but will avoid full contact drills.  He is confident that he’ll be good to go on Saturday.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball