Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 7757 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #45
Had to work Friday & Saturday so wasn't home at all, had to get a room on the road for the night.

Watched the second half of the match drinking a schooner of Tooheys Old & scoffing a chicken parmy at the Argyle Hotel in Moss Vale (southern highlands).

There was a fair bit to like about this game but felt we should have won by a lot more, North are rubbish. One of my close buddies from school is a died in the wool Kangas fan and all he could sook up about was how they got reamed by the umpires. Was he watching the same game as me ??

Elijah Hollands showed some glimpses of what he has to offer, hope he keeps going with it.

Cerra looks at odds to me, uncharacteristically poor.

Curnow plays in bursts, it would be interesting to see what he could do if he went like that for a whole game, he'd probably kick 15-20.

Did TDK really lower his colours to that blonk Xerri ??

I have serious concerns about Fantasia's longterm viabilty, whilst others seem to like what he does, I'm not impressed at all. I'm also not enjoying Kennedy's output at present either, seems to making some poor decisions at crucial times, he's better than that.   

Thought Weitering showed great leadership when he went in & grabbed Larkey and yanked him off the wrestling maul on the ground and then as they were all breaking up, he pointed the finger at Larkey with an angry face and said something obviously along the lines of "pull your screwing head in mate".

We still need a few more players with some aggro, we are getting rid of the Von Trapps's but not quick enough IMO.  

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #46
There was a fair bit to like about this game but felt we should have won by a lot more, North are rubbish. One of my close buddies from school is a died in the wool Kangas fan and all he could sook up about was how they got reamed by the umpires. Was he watching the same game as me ??
We had a lot more frees than North did, even if North's first 3 goals came due to frees. They were very undisciplined: they were trying to play like Clarkson and don't know how to do it yet, so there were 50 metre penalties and turnover frees a plenty. 34 frees to 21, and some of theirs were pretty lucky.

Curnow plays in bursts, it would be interesting to see what he could do if he went like that for a whole game, he'd probably kick 15-20.

Did TDK really lower his colours to that blonk Xerri ??
Xerri did a very good job against a guy who has been in career best form. Tom was a better alround player, getting kicks and marks around the ground, but Xerri was the reason they had so many clearances. I reckon Tom won on points, or I wouldn't have given him votes, but Xerri impressed me. I don't think he is as good as Goldstein, so trading Goldstein to the Drug Cheats strikes me as stupid, but that is another tale.

Thought Weitering showed great leadership when he went in & grabbed Larkey and yanked him off the wrestling maul on the ground and then as they were all breaking up, he pointed the finger at Larkey with an angry face and said something obviously along the lines of "pull your screwing head in mate".

We still need a few more players with some aggro, we are getting rid of the Von Trapps's but not quick enough IMO.      
Fair enough. I was impressed by Weitering's cool head, to be honest. Larkey (and no small number of his team mates) had lost the plot and were close to getting reported, (I wonder whose influence that is?) but Weitering was strong and firm and intelligent.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #47
Fair enough. I was impressed by Weitering's cool head, to be honest. Larkey (and no small number of his team mates) had lost the plot and were close to getting reported, (I wonder whose influence that is?) but Weitering was strong and firm and intelligent.

My point exactly !!

We need more players like him.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #48
Blake Acres did his best to rectify his lack of out of bounds on the full kicks this season but just couldn't pull it off  :)

I didn't have him in my best players but he still made a valuable contribution.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #49
Blake Acres did his best to rectify his lack of out of bounds on the full kicks this season but just couldn't pull it off  :)

I didn't have him in my best players but he still made a valuable contribution.

Voss was tearing strips off him, the fact ACres was smiling seemed to infuriate him more.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #50
Voss was tearing strips off him, the fact ACres was smiling seemed to infuriate him more.

Vossy did seem particularly agitated at times and not his usual well controlled self.  Perhaps that contributed to our ruthless demolition of North in circumstances where we normally have backed off a bit 🤔
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #51
Vossy did seem particularly agitated at times and not his usual well controlled self.  Perhaps that contributed to our ruthless demolition of North in circumstances where we normally have backed off a bit 🤔

He didn't like when we were being a bit show boaty in the 3rd term.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #52
David King was impressed with our work:

“We know how tough they are in the middle and we know they’ve got the key forwards. They’ve got all the tools, all the ingredients.

Without the footy is the thing that’s hard to get elite level talent to buy into. They’ve always been good players, quality juniors or whatever.

So to go at 200 [pressure rating] yesterday, they’ve only done that eight times in five years. So that to me shows they don’t just want to beat a poor opposition… they want to crush them without the footy.

That’s a real statement.”

Despite have significantly more of the ball, we smashed North in tackles 76 to 55, and 19 of those tackles were inside 50.  We've got to bring that pressure next week.

Reply #53
Did what we had to do and probably should've won by more.

Is it just me, or is Charlie dropping a lot of marks in the first 3 weeks that he would've clunked easily in the past two seasons? Looks to be getting in the right spot and then just having the ball bounce straight out. Luckily he's like a cat when the ball hits the ground.

Harry is absolutely on at the moment....kicking goals but getting the ball all round the ground and marking everything that comes his way. It's an awesome double act to have.

The defence looked so much better with Weitering there. I was one suggesting Marchbank shouldn't come straight back in and nothing changed as the game wore on....not sure if he was on Zuurhar early on but, if he was, it was a terrible match up.

Hewett goes under the radar and is back playing good footy and I thought it was Cerra's best game of the season.

Hopefully Martin and Motlop come back in against Freo and one of Kemp or Young probably comes back in for Marchbank.

Reply #56
Have now!!!

Yes, Richmond’s nail biting win over the Swans makes us look even better  :)

Reply #57
Fev's still got it!

https://7news.com.au/video/sport/brendan-fevola-kicks-amazing-goal-for-charity-bc-6349929837112
Absolutely, that goal was a classic! And it was Fev to a tee.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #58

Without the footy is the thing that’s hard to get elite level talent to buy into. They’ve always been good players, quality juniors or whatever.

So to go at 200 [pressure rating] yesterday, they’ve only done that eight times in five years. So that to me shows they don’t just want to beat a poor opposition… they want to crush them without the footy.

That’s a real statement.”

The players who might previously have been considered to be 'fringe' players are no longer one-way players and those that were are no longer on the roster (e.g. Fisher, Honey), having made way for guys like Fogarty and Cottrell.

Reply #59
The players who might previously have been considered to be 'fringe' players are no longer one-way players and those that were are no longer on the roster (e.g. Fisher, Honey), having made way for guys like Fogarty and Cottrell.

So the rebuild is finally done  :)