Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge RD 2 : Carlton V Adelaide (Prior Poncing & Punting) (Read 69391 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge RD 2 : Carlton V Adelaide (Prior Poncing & Punting)

Reply #255
I put very little value in any practice game.  I saw players tackling as if they were playing touch football.  Sure you have the odd accident but let's not get carried away.  When the H&A starts it's a different game, and you know that. 

If you want to argue value of form in these games, then Rodney only needed 5 touches to finish us off.   How valuable were Yarran's touches?

Personally I thought we played ok in the 1st half and actually looked like we wanted to win.  The second half -  I'd b surprised if Mick even spoke to the boys in the room.

Dangerfield had a new opponent and 14 touches in the last quarter.

Played some if not all of that time on the 18 yo Cripps IIRC.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #256
There is a little bit of revisionist history going on re Yarran.

1.  He doesnt usually get given a shut down role he gets given a defensive forward.

2.  He is rarely beaten and keeps his man quiet.

For number 2, see 1 as to why this is disregarded.

3.  He is absolutely electric when he goes off on his attacking forays, but stopping his man going the other way is again revisionist.  Its usually up to his teamates to cover his absence or he kicks a goal and gets to reset.  Potentially he left us in a mismatch outnumber down back with players scrambling to cover anyway, and this can only make us easier to score against.  The question there is, if he goes running is he that potent?  IMHO, not really.  I dont think he ranks highly for goal assists, but I can tell you now running bounces dont win games of football even though it looks good.

In any case, Im not condemning Yarran, Malthouse even stated that he is still a young bloke and sometimes we expect too much from our players, but I think those going into bat for him are possibly going to far, whilst those stating things against him are using the above thought process and not communicating as well as they could be.

IN any case, we are lucky to have him, and I hope he finds a bit of form, as he is a genuine game breaker for us when he fires.  If only it would happen more frequently.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #257
1.  He doesnt usually get given a shut down role he gets given a defensive forward.

Pretty sure I've seen him play on Rioli and Davey in the past. I agree, he doesn't always get a tough match up but on other occasions he does, with the same result.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #258
The question there is, if he goes running is he that potent?  IMHO, not really.  I dont think he ranks highly for goal assists, but I can tell you now running bounces dont win games of football even though it looks good.

It depends on the circumstances Thry.

A bloke like Darren Millane who took off without a plan and wasn't able to score or hit a target did more harm than good to Collingwood.  Paul Bower is another player I would put in that category.

Yarran's runs are generally more controlled and he is focused on delivering the ball rather than maximising the number of bounces.  Does that win games of footy?  Not in isolation, but carrying the ball 50 or 60 metres gains ground while reducing the number of disposals that could go astray, creates opportunities for forwards, helps to lift the team and contributes to the demoralisation of the opposition (when they can't lay a finger on the ball carrier).  Buddy's two boundary line runs and goals spring to mind.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball