Skip to main content
Topic: What have we learnt from this preseason? (Read 17514 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What have we learnt from this preseason?

Reply #45
I have to say, I thought Bootsma did some good stuff against the Kanga's in nab challenge game.

Went up third man and spoiled often for a few 1 percenters.

That being said, I think we have a few players in the same boat as him where they are neither here nor there, and cannot be relied upon to hold down a position.

Kane Lucas is another.

Too many blokes who are not good enough to even pinch hit at this point.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #46
I have to say, I thought Bootsma did some good stuff against the Kanga's in nab challenge game.

Went up third man and spoiled often for a few 1 percenters.

Are there any AFL level players who don't look good going 3rd man up?

I am not sure we are ever going to see Bootsma stand one on one with someone his own height and defeat them body on body. But maybe that is not his go, maybe he is better to play on a Lindsay Thomas type and make it hard for the smaller players.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
@Shadesy

The awful brain fades happened on multiple occasions when we gave up the lead to the Scum last year, it was pointed out on FC he was directly responsible for three of the goals, all the result of terrible decision making/brain fades. I too was a fan up until then but what I saw was unacceptable IMO.

I'm a White fan, always have been - but yep, THAT game really tested my loyalty towards him.....possibly the worst quarter by a Carlton defender I've ever seen. But geez, McInnes has hardly put a foot right since coming back from his knee - has zero physical presence, just bombs the crap outta the ball from defence & now along with White, shares the dubious honour of costing us games against Essendon in the same year....both games we should never have lost.

I've also got zero confidence in Jamo, who I reckon's best is behind him....he was mostly terrible last year. Unfortunately that means we need a horribly underdone Lachie to play in defence & a fast improving Watson to shore-up our key defensive stocks.

Then we've got the issue of Judd and whether or not he'll be returning from his recent injury/surgery (the rumours are out there....)

*sigh*.....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #48
Kane Lucas has shown more in a few of his better games than Boots has in his career.

Granted Lucas needs to become a regular 22 player and play more consistently, but he has shown he can win the ball and kick a few goals.

Bootsma has really shown jack.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #49
Josh Bootsma aged 19 versus Dustin Fletcher aged 19.

This is why he is being tried in defence, I'm hazarding a guess.

Very similar physically at the same age.

Agree they would have started out the same weight but Fletcher is way taller, not sure what height he started at but is 198cm now and Boots is around 190cm......I'm thinking at least Fletcher had some advantage when  playing on bigger players but Boots is usually giving away height and weight.

Reply #50
@Shadesy

The awful brain fades happened on multiple occasions when we gave up the lead to the Scum last year, it was pointed out on FC he was directly responsible for three of the goals, all the result of terrible decision making/brain fades. I too was a fan up until then but what I saw was unacceptable IMO.

I'm a White fan, always have been - but yep, THAT game really tested my loyalty towards him.....possibly the worst quarter by a Carlton defender I've ever seen. But geez, McInnes has hardly put a foot right since coming back from his knee - has zero physical presence, just bombs the crap outta the ball from defence & now along with White, shares the dubious honour of costing us games against Essendon in the same year....both games we should never have lost.

I've also got zero confidence in Jamo, who I reckon's best is behind him....he was mostly terrible last year. Unfortunately that means we need a horribly underdone Lachie to play in defence & a fast improving Watson to shore-up our key defensive stocks.

Then we've got the issue of Judd and whether or not he'll be returning from his recent injury/surgery (the rumours are out there....)

*sigh*.....

Fair enough. I was in Vegas that game and went to bed 5 goals up, checked my phone in the morning and was shocked. Never watched the game.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #51

I've also got zero confidence in Jamo, who I reckon's best is behind him..

I told someone at lunch this exact thing. Hope I'm wrong (as is usual :P)

Must admit I just don't want to think the worst but I am fearful about what the great man will produce this year.