Skip to main content
Topic: Practice Match: Blues vs. Sandringham at Visy (Read 12738 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Practice Match: Blues vs. Sandringham at Visy

Reply #30
I use Trend as well it seem OK, in combination with Malwarebytes is pretty much covers everything. I think Trend probably works best in a corporate environment where you can have a cloud service covering email and web reputation.

McAffee is still being distributed, Dell supply a trial license with every new PC.

Sophos also has some nice products, useful in a mixed environment.

You need a good PC and reliable Internet connection to get the best out of the latest versions.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
I know it's off topic... sorry about that but I really appreciate the advice fellow CSCers. Our use is home business, not corporate. Mrs Baggers and I are about to update our computers (all 3 of them!!! - 2 laptops and 1 desktop). Question is do we make the leap to Apple!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #32
I know it's off topic... sorry about that but I really appreciate the advice fellow CSCers. Our use is home business, not corporate. Mrs Baggers and I are about to update our computers (all 3 of them!!! - 2 laptops and 1 desktop). Question is do we make the leap to Apple!

I'll send you a PM.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #33

The answer is as follows:

If you are a PC user that is used to organising your files, and folders with names, dates and icons and putting them where it makes sense to you then no.

If you are the sort of user that just wants to use their stuff, stuck in a framework provided by a manufacturer, and not controlling where and how you move your files, then Yes.

Ultimately, both have strengths, both have limitations, Apple is really good at dumbing it down for novice users who have no concept of what they are achieving and just do what works, I have had two apple products. One iPod and one iPhone.  The iPod was okay, but frustrating, but there was no as good alternative available at the time.

The iPhone on the other hand, has driven me nuts with the way you move photos, movies, ringtones, and stuff around on it.

Its very much a personal preference with no right answer, but its a lot of money to spend trying something different, and moving back and forward from each framework has its issues from what I can see.  Its easier to leave apple than it is to go towards it, but that is because PC's are more flexible.

Funny, we are having a conversation similar to this one on facebook with my friends currently.  Makes for interesting reading.

CAVEATE:  I am an IT person, and I dont want to relinquish control of my files to my Apple product as I like being in control of my files and that may be part of the reason why I dislike the apple operating framework.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #34

The answer is as follows:

If you are a PC user that is used to organising your files, and folders with names, dates and icons and putting them where it makes sense to you then no.

If you are the sort of user that just wants to use their stuff, stuck in a framework provided by a manufacturer, and not controlling where and how you move your files, then Yes.

Ultimately, both have strengths, both have limitations, Apple is really good at dumbing it down for novice users who have no concept of what they are achieving and just do what works, I have had two apple products. One iPod and one iPhone.  The iPod was okay, but frustrating, but there was no as good alternative available at the time.

The iPhone on the other hand, has driven me nuts with the way you move photos, movies, ringtones, and stuff around on it.

Its very much a personal preference with no right answer, but its a lot of money to spend trying something different, and moving back and forward from each framework has its issues from what I can see.  Its easier to leave apple than it is to go towards it, but that is because PC's are more flexible.

Funny, we are having a conversation similar to this one on facebook with my friends currently.  Makes for interesting reading.

CAVEATE:  I am an IT person, and I dont want to relinquish control of my files to my Apple product as I like being in control of my files and that may be part of the reason why I dislike the apple operating framework.
One of Apple's biggest problems is the control the company wants to keep over its hardware. They do not like criticism - a friend of mine got banned from their web based material because he stated they were not perfect (and I am not exaggerating).
Microsoft put up with the flack: they consider it feedback.

To put in my 2 cents worth, if all your present files are PC, then it is better to keep with a PC. Apple have done a lot over the years about the incompatibility problems, but you will have issues.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #35
Wow, gotta say that the advice/support from CSC buddies has been fantastic... and you're all on the same page!

PC it is! Mrs Baggers and I thank you.  :)  :)

Reply #36
I used PC for years until I got the opportunity to purchase a cheap mac. ($500 MacBook Pro)

I could never go back to Windows. I even built a Hackintosh with OSX/Win 7 dual boot and I NEVER use Windows. OS X is way more user friendly and intuitive. You don't get viruses/malware and even if something slipped through, "MacKeeper" will find it and get rid of it. The hardware is pricey but once you have it, upgrading to new versions of the operating system usually cost $20. Everything just works how it should.

Reply #37
Time the AFL and VFL got on the same page and started supporting each other.

The VFL season start must co-incide with the AFL season start... ditto practice matches.

Serious amateur hour that this does not happen.

Reply #38
My PC has a fan problem ATM so I'm using my wife's IPad. Hate it!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #39

I don't mind it as a portable device. I use my PC for all the important stuff but if I just want to browse while watching TV, I love the ipad. And the games are much easier to play than on my phone! :P
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #40
I find MACs to be a pain in the ass. Cannot stand that shight but ipads are brilliant for when traveling.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #41

I don't mind it as a portable device. I use my PC for all the important stuff but if I just want to browse while watching TV, I love the ipad. And the games are much easier to play than on my phone! :P

Yes, fair comment JK.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #42
Both types of operating system have strengths and weaknesses, reality is you need a very good reason to change, this is especially the case if you have a legacy of using one type or the other. A good reason would be there is a specific program you need to work with that is only available on one or the other, or your employer requires a specific system. I use both because there are some designer / developer type programs that work better on one or the other or are only available on one.

It terms of hardware there is now little difference between Apple and PC, it is virtually interchangeable so just peel off the Apple sticker and use you generic hardware in your Mac. How the machines are designed and built is a different issue, but the parts are generally the same.

As for the comment about viruses that is completely unfounded, it is a wives tail. Managing a small network I can tell you that the biggest problem I have is making Mac users realise that they have a virus which has spread to everybody. They are often in complete denial. While it is true that the Apple have done a good job of making it harder for viruses and trojans to interrupt what you are doing, it gives users a false sense of security. Allegedly two of the most pervasive trojans last year were using Macs and iPhones as vectors, allegedly because Apple despite knowing about a weakness failed to patch holes in the OS. Similarly this year we have seen a growing attack base using Linux clients due to the same basic misguided perceptions, the idea that only Windows is vulnerable.

But I suggest the mods start a separate thread about this, if some architecture fan boys get on here it will become bigger than the EFC thread!  ;D ;D ;D
The Force Awakens!