Skip to main content
Topic: R3 Essendon V Carlton - Prematch Posturing (Read 64693 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R3 Essendon V Carlton - Prematch Posturing

Reply #15
Must must absolutely must put heavy work into Watson. He is there prime mover and if you are to be any chance he must shut down. Most go in in conceding defeat with him, I say have a red hot go at him. He may be too big and strong for Ed. I say give Everitt a run with role. Sorted out Delidio the other night. At 194 and 90kg, has the tools to go with Jobe (190 and 94kg). The only other one would be Bell but...

Agree 100% if he's on song he'll cut us up he always does. Everitt has the size and hopefully the tank to go with him.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #16
Bell did well on him the season prior to last, has also apparently improved his tank this year.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #17
I reckon there's next to no chance the stubborn Malthouse would use Robbo on Fletcher, that's Ratts' tactic.

Fletcher is past it now, give him too much credit and you shoot yourself in the foot with the likes of Hurley, Carlisle, Goddard and Hooker. Fletcher is basically a stay at home defender these days, a good one I admit, but he is no longer the go to man in the same way Judd is no longer Judd!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
I reckon there's next to no chance the stubborn Malthouse would use Robbo on Fletcher, that's Ratts' tactic.

Fletcher is past it now, give him too much credit and you shoot yourself in the foot with the likes of Hurley, Carlisle, Goddard and Hooker. Fletcher is basically a stay at home defender these days, a good one I admit, but he is no longer the go to man in the same way Judd is no longer Judd!

Doesnt mean he wont provide headaches this time around with his run out of defence. His influence wasnt as effective in the last fee years against us, but i suspect that was because he would generally play on one of our best defensive forwards ie Betts.      
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #19
Jobe has a few additives in his tank
 ;D

Reply #20
I'd love to know how Heppell and Fletcher get to run around on their own.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #21
Bell did well on him the season prior to last, has also apparently improved his tank this year.
I have seen no evidence of the latter  to date what so ever
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #22
I have seen no evidence of the latter  to date what so ever

This time last year he was only capable of playing a quarter or so. Despite his skill and decision making deficiency, he thus far appears to be able to keep running.

― Mark Twain

Reply #23
I think Ryder was injured so Warnock and whoever(Wood perhaps) might have it easier.....

If Wood goes on the list this week whoever goes LTI is out for at least 8 weeks.

Nobody has been upgraded to Nick Duigan's spot as far as I know.

Reply #24
Watson may come back along with walker and id like to see Woods play at the expence of Rowe.

Hope not - Watson is a liability in defence.

He can only play on the slowest tall forward and is so lacking in pace that he cannot switch opponents or run to fill a space - both essential requirements for defenders these days.

Against Power he was even too slow to play loose man in defence because he couldn't get anywhere quickly enough to be useful and, when he had an opponent who lead him up the ground, he was too slow or lacking in intensity to get back again.

At least Rowe and White play and compete with intensity above their heads and below the knees, are able to stay in contact with an opponent who is doing more than standing still and are capable of playing elsewhere on the field.

Reply #25
I would like to see us teach Rowe to be a solid defender. He shows he might come good eventually. If Watson can mark, lets teach him to be a big forward target maybe.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #26
I would like to see us teach Rowe to be a solid defender. He shows he might come good eventually. If Watson can mark, lets teach him to be a big forward target maybe.

Fair points Mants.....I dont like panic dropping of players after one game and I tend to agree that Rowe needs another chance, no doubt he was ordinary and lost one on one contests, lacked awareness but you could also argue he never gets a decent run of games to learn from those mistakes and get the pace of the game. He always looks half a yard off the pace and like he is playing SANFL footy instead of AFL....because of his age he is seen as a readymade but he isnt a AFL readymade like he came from another AFL cub and already had some idea of the speed and awareness required at senior AFL level.

I was critical and had him in my worst players but then you sit back with a cooler head and look at the options and there are not many....rehash an undersized McInnes ,hope Watson is over his injury but he was worse than Rowe vs Westhoff from Port,  or throw a kid like Giles into the deep end.
Maybe Rowe does get another go and you have Giles on the bench as a learning experience/backup if required player but dont put it on the kid to play a full game just to give him a taste for the future.

Reply #27
I'd rather risk Giles ahead of Rowe. Mick loves Rowe though!
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #28
Bombers by 70+.  sigh

Reply #29
Watson is not slower than Rowe.

Watson's decision making when he doesn't have the ball makes him look slow. He has surprisingly good closing speed when he commits. He is OK with the ball, and he gets a little better without the ball every passing game.
The Force Awakens!