Skip to main content
Topic: R3 Essendon V Carlton - Prematch Posturing (Read 64710 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R3 Essendon V Carlton - Prematch Posturing

Reply #30
At this stage it's a moot point IMO whether we select Rowe or Watson, but since they're two of the few we have in the cupboard we have to try and develop them by giving them senior game time. Neither of them are fully up to AFL pace yet - both can get caught with ball in indecisive reveries. To me this is their biggest drawback - in both cases. If that could be removed from their respective games they could be useful contributors in our defence, at least until the real thing comes along. In fact, as an earlier post suggests, I'd be very tempted to give Watson a run up forward.

I'd be looking to play Watson well outside our F50 to try and capitalise on his long kicking and also have someone crumbing from him. This could open up our F50 and drag opposition defenders out. Worth looking at.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #31
Ive changed my view on Watson over last few months. I think he'll be a good player.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #32
Ive changed my view on Watson over last few months. I think he'll be a good player.

Probably even better if he went somewhere he gets coached!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #33

I thought that too until he played a shocker vs Port....his lack of body on body work for a bloke his size is terrible, his U18 rebounding ability hid his lack of defensive ability
and its back to basics to get him up to speed and that could be a couple of years away..

Reply #34
Brother Elwood, there are some thing you can't teach and if Watson hasn't learned or developed the skills you mention I very much doubt that he will.  As the old saying goes... you've either got it or you haven't.

I don't want him used before his time but from the reports I've read Giles showed more defensive aptitude in his first senior hit out last week than many of his senior teammates ever have.  That is a very troubling issue.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #35
Brother Elwood, there are some thing you can't teach and if Watson hasn't learned or developed the skills you mention I very much doubt that he will.  As the old saying goes... you've either got it or you haven't.

I don't want him used before his time but from the reports I've read Giles showed more defensive aptitude in his first senior hit out last week than many of his senior teammates ever have.  That is a very troubling issue.

Not troubling, just play Giles instead ;)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #36
Watson is not slower than Rowe.

Watson's decision making when he doesn't have the ball makes him look slow. He has surprisingly good closing speed when he commits. He is OK with the ball, and he gets a little better without the ball every passing game.

Watson IS slower than Rowe and possibly everyone else on the team - including Brock.

Watson's decision making when he doesn't have the ball makes him look slow. He always looks slower than his opponent - even when he is a loose man.

He has surprisingly good closing speed when he commits. When has anyone seen him commit? That's another reason why I prefer just about anyone else.

Reply #37

Probably even better if he went somewhere he gets coached!
Like Laidler huh?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #39
He has surprisingly good closing speed when he commits. When has anyone seen him commit? That's another reason why I prefer just about anyone else.

This view was born after he closed down about 3 metres on Nick Reiwolt the other year but it was a floater kick and Nick had just tweaked his quad or hammy so he was lame. Outside this instance, I can't really recall him closing in on anyone... I'm sure a YouTube video exists if it's happened.

Reply #40

Everyone is raving about Ambrose from the Scum who is a year older the Watson. FMD Watto is only 21 and a KD. Give the kid a break.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #41
Was at dinner with 5 Carlton supporters tonight.

I got the shock of my life when all of them reckon we'll win.

I reckon we're a chance, but I wasn't expecting such optimism, particularly since some of these guys are the most pessimistic supporters I've ever met.

Whats the vibe in Melb?, Perthites seem to reckon we have it
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #42

I reckon we're a chance, but I wasn't expecting such optimism, particularly since some of these guys are the most pessimistic supporters I've ever met.

I had a private chuckle to myself over the weekend. I thought that there is so much pessimism on here this week, we'll probably win against the scum all will be forgotten. Let's see hey!
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #43
LMAO fk me you guys remind me of me in my clubbing days of the late 90s. Come Sunday and Monday I'd be saying no way I'm going out next week but sure enough by Wednesday I'd think I'm half a chance and come Friday I'd be well and truly up for it.

To think we're any chance against the scum is just being ignorant of the situation we're in. You're blinded by your love for the club and motivated by hope......or maybe you just haven't had time to tune in and watch the scum play. For what reasons to the Perthites think we'll win CIMM other than blind faith? I'd be interested in knowing. Did they also tip us to beat Richmond? Wouldn't be surprised.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #44

I had a private chuckle to myself over the weekend. I thought that there is so much pessimism on here this week, we'll probably win against the scum all will be forgotten. Let's see hey!

All pigs fully fuelled and ready for take off eh JK?  :D  You can whack me first if we do win mate.
Reality always wins in the end.