Skip to main content
Topic: Things To look Forward To (Read 4375 times) previous topic - next topic

Things To look Forward To

JK gave me the idea for this topic, I'm going to get the ball rolling.

Dylan Buckley - reminds me of Heath Shaw, not just in the way he plays but the way he goes about it. Plays with real passion. What do Shaw and Buckley have in common? Their fathers played for their respective clubs, hence they've got that extra passion for what they do. Dylan Buckley is the future of this club. I wonder if he knows it yet?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Re: Things To look Forward To

Reply #1
Cripps, Holman, Graham and Buckley being the next midfield.....

Tom Boyd coming to Carlton where he belongs......hope and dream.

Reply #2

Ill take all that, would go some way to righting some dreadful wrongs. Surely things have to turn again for us.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
I have Buckley down as our long term replacement for Simpson more than a true midfielder.  A bit too light on to really impact the midfield regularly but could do some epic damage on a wing.

Id put Menzel down as a future midfielder.  There was one pass where he was close to centre of the ground, spotted Yarran in the corner of his eye about 35 metres out between two opponents, and put the ball to his advantage goal side of him splitting the opponents giving Yarran the maximum chance of scoring a relatively easy set shot from in front.  Thats the sort of nous I have been looking for in our players.  Sure, its all well and good to hit your target on his chest, but its much better if they can sum up a situation, choose the best option AND put it to the advantage of the bloke down field.

Goal situation. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #4
I have Buckley down as our long term replacement for Simpson more than a true midfielder.  A bit too light on to really impact the midfield regularly but could do some epic damage on a wing.

Id put Menzel down as a future midfielder.

I agree about Buckley, but I am not sure Menzel has the agility or speed to work in tight spaces. I see Menzel as the ideal wing / HFF for the same reasons you think he is a midfield option. He uses the ball OK, he is a good mark and shows some smarts. I think if we put Menzel in the midfield we would be seeing him busted a broken before his time.

Buckley on the other hand has that skin and bone build that often does well in the midfield, guys who are all elbows and knees and seem to bounce off everything. A you mention like Simpson.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5

Hindsight now suggests we probably should have offered up Gibbs and another sweetener, but that boat sailed. I've heard that this years draft will contain a bumper crop of KPP's in the early rounds, we need to be proactive and ensure we get the picks grab a couple.

Like everyone else I've loved what I've seen from Buckley and I'm hoping that Cripps gets a run soon.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #6
Everitt. Love to see this bloke given license to roam the forward line...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #7
Reasons to be Cheerful, Part 1?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
Yes I am sure.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #10

Love this! Add Menzel into the mix of young guns.

Reply #11
Looking forward to MM sacking.    :P

Reply #12
Menzel is our future Didak  :)

Reply #13
Menzel is our future Didak  :)

Didak?

He must be on his way to more than that.  For one thing, he has probably laid as many tackles as Didak did during his entire playing career and thats more to do with the fact that he loves hitting players hard, and knows how to tackle.  Didak didnt get his hands dirty.  Classy finisher, and able to produce something from nothing, but I would hardly have called him a "hard man" in the forwardline.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson