Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 12: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 17303 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 12: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #30
I was thinking about this before last weeks effort.

I've been pushing for Charlie to play on a wing, but i've had a re-think.

Charlie to CHB!

In a move that rejuvinated Waites career, moving him to CHB can give him a new lease of life.
Let him run in straight lines.
He will not be outrun and outmarked.
He will not be beaten on the ground.
It allows us to move Marchbank onto the 3rd tall, as he should, with Weitering taking #1 spot.
It also frees up our forwardline to have Harry (and Gov if he is fit) in more space there, with some more crumbers at their feet.....and a resting Cripps 1-out at FF, without being overly tall.

Personally, i'd drop Casboult for team balance to allow this to happen.

As for Teague as coach...
Knowing how he played, i think he'll reward effort. You don't have to be skillful or a high possession getter, you just have to do the team things.
As a result...
In: Polson.

Dropping Casboult for team balance by bringing in McGovern who has done nothing to support his $700k contract is really setting the wrong tone and doubt we are that stupid to do it. I would drop marchbank for balance if it’s needed, well before Casboult. He has been a steady rock in defence and one of the rare bright lights.

As for Polson, I watched the 2nds and he did what he always does, SFA. Hardly touches it runs around like a headless chook guarding space and shanks it every one of his 5-7 touches.

If we are serious the new coach will delist him at years end. Won’t make it. Need to move on and stop justifying running around in circles is enough to be promoted. I know we are the bottom team but he is that far below afl level it’s not funny.

Reply #31
Casboult's done OK, the player to drop should be Charlie for McGovern!

I appreciate McGovern hasn't shown great form, but Charlie is fit and covering the ground yet only gets involved to play a moment here or there. Charlie is picking and choosing contests, it's a bad look!

I appreciate it might be due to overlap and confusion between the three young talls, but SpecialK can clearly enter F50 and make himself a more effective target than the other three!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
I don't expect Teague and the MC to make any dramatic moves re team selection. We are in a stage where stability is needed and emotions must be calmed. I expect a conservative approach with a much simplified plan that takes players back closer to the basics. Time to steady the ship! Teague seems like the calming influence we need right atm.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #33
I don't expect Teague and the MC to make any dramatic moves re team selection. We are in a stage where stability is needed and emotions must be calmed. I expect a conservative approach with a much simplified plan that takes players back closer to the basics. Time to steady the ship! Teague seems like the calming influence we need right atm.

I expect Teague will unleash Liam Jones if he is fit!

He certainly won't be a worse kick for goal than any of our current lot, and good luck whoever has to run with him if he is given license to Run and 2nd Ruck!

Further, do not be surprised to see Weiters pressing deeper forward!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
I expect Teague will unleash Liam Jones if he is fit!

He certainly won't be a worse kick for goal than any of our current lot, and good luck whoever has to run with him if he is given license to Run and 2nd Ruck!

Further, do not be surprised to see Weiters pressing deeper forward!

Hardly dramatic though LP. Just one of our better players returning from injury?

Reply #35
Hardly dramatic though LP. Just one of our better players returning from injury?

Fair enough, yet we've not seen it since the start of the Jones renaissance!

Anyone who watched his VFL games prior to his return/break-out AFL season has to ask why?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
Fair enough, yet we've not seen it since the start of the Jones renaissance!

Anyone who watched his VFL games prior to his return/break-out AFL season has to ask why?

From what we are hearing our players roles were very strictly defined and they performed them under close instructions.  Were they even micro managed. Maybe this may become clear eventually?

Reply #37
Dropping Casboult for team balance by bringing in McGovern who has done nothing to support his $700k contract is really setting the wrong tone and doubt we are that stupid to do it. I would drop marchbank for balance if it’s needed, well before Casboult. He has been a steady rock in defence and one of the rare bright lights.

As for Polson, I watched the 2nds and he did what he always does, SFA. Hardly touches it runs around like a headless chook guarding space and shanks it every one of his 5-7 touches.

If we are serious the new coach will delist him at years end. Won’t make it. Need to move on and stop justifying running around in circles is enough to be promoted. I know we are the bottom team but he is that far below afl level it’s not funny.

McGovern will be ok.  He is still a pup in terms of AFL football, and is a very classy player.

He just needs to start getting involved more.

Once he does, look out.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #38
McGovern will be ok.  He is still a pup in terms of AFL football, and is a very classy player.

He just needs to start getting involved more.

Once he does, look out.

More and better quality supply will help all of them....Teague seems the only reason why the Guv came to us....perhaps Teague in charge will see the best of Mitch!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #39
Just at the moment McGovern is an unknown.
When he gets involved he can have an impact pretty quickly and effectively
But he seems to pick and choose a bit too often.

It's been stated often that he chose Carlton because of Teague
Does anyone have a source for that?

The current Adelaide coach doesn't seem too keen on that aspect at the moment and if McGovern was still there he may not be playing.

Reply #40
Just at the moment McGovern is an unknown.
When he gets involved he can have an impact pretty quickly and effectively
But he seems to pick and choose a bit too often.

It's been stated often that he chose Carlton because of Teague
Does anyone have a source for that?

The current Adelaide coach doesn't seem too keen on that aspect at the moment and if McGovern was still there he may not be playing.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-trades-2018-mitch-mcgovern-wants-to-join-carlton-20180927-p506ar.html
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #41
McGovern needs to lift his work rate but he's one of the few players that actually looks clean with the footy when he gets it IMO. And Casboult is a much better defender than Marchbank so if Jones is okay to go, then Marchbank should go out.

If McGovern, Simpson and Jones are all fit then bring them in along with Thomas and drop Lang, Kennedy, Plowman and Marchbank. If need be, Stocker can push into the middle but is probably a chance to get a job on Cameron or Rayner. Thomas can play on a wing and through the middle....he's not quick but he's been one of the better players this year and uses it pretty well.

Reply #42
McGovern needs to lift his work rate but he's one of the few players that actually looks clean with the footy when he gets it IMO. And Casboult is a much better defender than Marchbank so if Jones is okay to go, then Marchbank should go out.

If McGovern, Simpson and Jones are all fit then bring them in along with Thomas and drop Lang, Kennedy, Plowman and Marchbank. If need be, Stocker can push into the middle but is probably a chance to get a job on Cameron or Rayner. Thomas can play on a wing and through the middle....he's not quick but he's been one of the better players this year and uses it pretty well.

Is he confirmed as returning from demotion ?

Reply #43
Not sure PP but if they think more than one week for that is worthy then they've got rocks in their heads. He's served his penance and backed it up with a BOG effort in the VFL....what more do they want? I think Bolton was non-committal on it when asked but he's not in the driver's seat this week.

Reply #44
Not sure PP but if they think more than one week for that is worthy then they've got rocks in their heads. He's served his penance and backed it up with a BOG effort in the VFL....what more do they want? I think Bolton was non-committal on it when asked but he's not in the driver's seat this week.

The original 1 week was absurd to begin with. The club can't make a sensible decision to save itself these days.