Skip to main content
Topic: Blues Brothers trip to the tribunal (Read 31846 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Blues Brothers trip to the tribunal

Reply #30
I find all of this stuff increasingly wearisome and tedious tbh. We seriously need to drain the swamp - it's a morass of petty rules and restrictions that we don't need. Just fodder for the media who are looking for sensation/scandal rather than producing some real sports journalism.  ::)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #31
This particular crackdown is starting to look a bit silly.

There's probably a dozen instances of umpire contact a round.
Trivial contact shouldn't even be an issue.
Common sense needs to come in to play.
If an umpire feels a line has been crossed report the player...otherwise, play on!

Reply #32
I think the rule is pretty simple and transparent, and probably fair enough. If you deliberately touch the ump, however gently or daintily, you're in strife. And I agree. They're an official of the game, not a fellow player, and you can't be touching them - it breeds a certain lack of respect. It's like a student touching a teacher in my view.

Reply #33
I think the rule is pretty simple and transparent, and probably fair enough. If you deliberately touch the ump, however gently or daintily, you're in strife. And I agree. They're an official of the game, not a fellow player, and you can't be touching them - it breeds a certain lack of respect. It's like a student touching a teacher in my view.

Folks are starting to post pics of incidental umpire contact.

It happens fairly regularly.
With the umpires in close on stoppages you're going to see it often.
There has to be a degree of common sense.

Looks like we're the target for this week.

Reply #34
9 weeks? ;D
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #35
Surely no weeks if May didn't get any

Reply #36
I find all of this stuff increasingly wearisome and tedious tbh. We seriously need to drain the swamp - it's a morass of petty rules and restrictions that we don't need. Just fodder for the media who are looking for sensation/scandal rather than producing some real sports journalism.  ::)
Agree

It’s like they can’t work out how to draw distinctions - it’s pretty clear to me what is contact which means nothing or is contact which is threatening, etc

Reply #37
Surely no weeks if May didn't get any

That would be the logical conclusion, if there were any logic involved here....  ::) ::)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #38
That would be the logical conclusion, if there were any logic involved here....  ::) ::)

There's not..... but it's probably worth the risk to challenge given our ladder position.
Worst case we get to play a couple of other players (maybe Kerr) for a few weeks

Reply #39
x2.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #40
x2.

Great saying "x2" but we've just seen - very clearly - with the May decision, that the rule is not clear and transparent.

Quite the opposite sadly.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #41
There's not..... but it's probably worth the risk to challenge given our ladder position.
Worst case we get to play a couple of other players (maybe Kerr) for a few weeks

If nothing else, it's going to make the AFL look like total dumb ass amateur clowns - which they obviously are (allegedly)...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #42
Great saying "x2" but we've just seen - very clearly - with the May decision, that the rule is not clear and transparent.

Quite the opposite sadly.
Im suggesting its a fine as opposed to suspension. May was attempting the show the umpire what happened and made contact in doing so. Charlie almost tried to shield the ump from the scuffle. Eds one? Not sure. Still reckons its a fine.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #43
Im suggesting its a fine as opposed to suspension. May was attempting the show the umpire what happened and made contact in doing so. Charlie almost tried to shield the ump from the scuffle. Eds one? Not sure. Still reckons its a fine.

A fine is a sensible outcome - but it's not an AFL strong point (being sensible).

I (arguably) know what May (and I agree with you) was trying to do but the impact on the umpire was 20x the impact from either of the Curnow touches....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #44
A fine is a sensible outcome - but it's not an AFL strong point (being sensible).

I (arguably) know what May (and I agree with you) was trying to do but the impact on the umpire was 20x the impact from either of the Curnow touches....
We are in agreement here, but I think we are splitting hairs. I have watched them all and in all three cases, the umpire is moved back slightly by the contact. Lets see what happens.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th