Skip to main content
Topic: Blues Brothers trip to the tribunal (Read 31850 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Blues Brothers trip to the tribunal

Reply #45
We are in agreement here, but I think we are splitting hairs. I have watched them all and in all three cases, the umpire is moved back slightly by the contact. Lets see what happens.
1 week for Ed and a fine for Charlie IMO, unless we can argue that Ed's contact was also careless as opposed to intentional which is the the tipping point.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #46
This particular crackdown is starting to look a bit silly.

There's probably a dozen instances of umpire contact a round.
Trivial contact shouldn't even be an issue.
Common sense needs to come in to play.
If an umpire feels a line has been crossed report the player...otherwise, play on!

Ah, yes, I remember those days... the AFL tribunal and common sense seem mutually exclusive!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #47
1 week for Ed and a fine for Charlie IMO, unless we can argue that Ed's contact was also careless as opposed to intentional which is the the tipping point.

He's clearly looking elsewhere when he makes contact, that should stand for somerthing?

Must nplayers wouldn't expect the umps to be literally so close....?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #48
He's clearly looking elsewhere when he makes contact, that should stand for somerthing?

Must nplayers wouldn't expect the umps to be literally so close....?
This is definitely an issue. In fact, you see umps actually touching players alot also (which I reckon is also an issue).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #49
If Ed or Charlie go then we need to issue a please explain for why the runner didn't get cited for making contact with Plowman last week against Adelaide.   We didn't even get a free kick because he took the mark anyway and it should have been a fifty metre penalty.

This is rubbish.   Issue a fine and move on.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #50
This is definitely an issue. In fact, you see umps actually touching players alot also (which I reckon is also an issue).

the charlie 'incident'. looks obvious the ump was about to touch him...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #51
The best thing about this is that Charlie will realise the AFL is not a level playing field, no point playing fair! I'd hate to be his opponent when he starts using his advantages unfairly! :o

Carlton should have five year contracts for him and Crippa to sign straight after the tribunal put the boots in! ;) Walk out and announce the contracts at the post tribunal doorstop, take all the wind out of the AFL's sails, and stick it up the opposition!

The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
SEN Gerard Whiteley reckons Ed will get 2 weeks and Charlie will get 1.

Said he understands why May got a fine only as he thought his case was on the left side of Hawkins but thinks both Curnow Bros are on the right side of Hawkins case....in other words more serious :o

Are these media people for real or maybe I am too one eyed to accept things as they are.

IMO Eds is worth at worst just one week.. and Charlie should receive a fine only.

Reply #53
I think Ed's was worse than Hawkins.

Charlie's is a strange one that will require him to explain his actions, he might get away with it if he convinces them he was confused.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #54
Not sure what the club intends to do but the May approach seems to be the best approach.

Plead guilty.... but argue that it was 'careless' rather than 'intentional'

Reply #55

Charlie's is a strange one that will require him to explain his actions, he might get away with it if he convinces them he was confused.

x2....Charlie might get off but Eds reminded me of Greg Williams to a lesser extent...

Reply #56

Im definately living in the twilight zone.

I have looked at replays of all the incidents, and generally speaking a fine is what I would deem to be a fair result.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #57
You cannot have umpires initiating such contact and then be fining players for the very same.

Routinely each week umpires walk over to players and touch them to get their attention for a chat. I realise the noise is horrendous, but you have to be consistent with how this stuff is policed.

Secondly, there is a bit of hypocrisy about the AFL approach, they wanted umpires to be more inclusive of players and for there to be more discussion/communications between players and umpires on the field. What we are seeing now is the natural consequence of that, they are now undoing all the good they have done previously.

I think the AFL needs the formality of the NRL, there is no contact between player and umpire in either direction, and the umpires are approached primarily by the captains in a polite manner.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #58
So, what was the perceived logic in May getting off?

He was looking at - and talking to (heatedly) - the umpire....how can he claim there was no intent - what his arms moved independently of his brain?

Very odd...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #59
Talk on SEN that Ed will get 3-4.    WTF !?!  This is looking like Diesel take 2.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?