Skip to main content
Topic: Blues Brothers trip to the tribunal (Read 31270 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Blues Brothers trip to the tribunal

Reply #120
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-16/afl-weighs-up-appeal-on-curnow-verdicts

THE AFL will appeal downgraded umpire contact findings against Carlton brothers Ed and Charlie Curnow, describing the sanctions imposed as "manifestly inadequate".

The Appeal Board hearing will be held on Thursday at 3pm AEST.

The League will be seeking a suspension for both players after they escaped with $1000 fines on Tuesday night at the Tribunal.

Football operations general manager Steve Hocking made the decision ahead of Wednesday's 12pm deadline to file an appeal.

GET BREAKING NEWS ALERTS Subscribe for free with the AFL on Messenger

Hocking said the AFL had appealed both of the financial sanctions on the grounds that:

no Tribunal acting reasonably could have come to that decision having regard to the evidence before it
    the sanction imposed was manifestly inadequate.

The Blues pair both successfully argued before the AFL Tribunal that their separate contact incidents in Saturday's game against Essendon were careless and not intentional, and were fined $1000 each rather than suspended.

The brothers had been referred straight to the Tribunal by Match Review Officer Michael Christian, who initially graded both incidents as intentional.

A week earlier Geelong forward Tom Hawkins agreed on a plea deal with AFL counsel, effectively accepting a one-week ban and acknowledging his contact with an umpire was intentional.

Gold Coast co-captain Steven May was cleared on intentional umpire contact at the Tribunal on Monday night, and instead fined $1000 after also successfully arguing his contact was careless.

The AFL confirmed it was not appealing that decision.

"We accepted that decision on the examination of the evidence that was put and chose not to appeal," a League spokesman said.

Its the good old Dennis Denuto argument.

Hawkins copped a week, so should the Curnows....

Meanwhile look who's talking.  Buddha Hocking!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #121
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-16/afl-weighs-up-appeal-on-curnow-verdicts

Its the good old Dennis Denuto argument.

Hawkins copped a week, so should the Curnows....

Meanwhile look who's talking.  Buddha Hocking!

Its actually Buddhas brother. The lesser known of the hockings. Former back pocket player for the catters Steve Hocking.

Reply #122
Its actually Buddhas brother. The lesser known of the hockings. Former back pocket player for the catters Steve Hocking.

Yep its Steve...is it right that Hocking has the power to ratify all tribunal decisions hence making him the defacto tribunal?

Reply #123

Sounds like the handbaggers arent happy that their bloke is the only one getting done.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #124
So touching an umpire is a reportable/punishable by suspension offense... unless you're demonstrating something (May)  :o
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #125
To me, manifestly inadequate is a worry from the AFL. $1000 vs one week is a bit of the same thing (although 1 week loses eligibility for the Brownlow and doesn't penalise the team.

Manifestly inadequate would mean they want at least 2 weeks, maybe 3 or more as has been suggested in the media.

They are both trivial and have been stirred up way out of proportion.

May's action could have been careless, but more likely too contact an umpire.  Surely Ziebell's kneeing was worse much greater potential for thuggery in other levels of the game.    Can other clubs appeal decisions?

Reply #126
Seems the AFL believes our club is an easy target and will simply lie down.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #127
Seems the AFL believes our club is an easy target and will simply lie down.

Good test for the President...where is MLG?..........I'm sure Jeffrey Kennett would have been all over the AFL by now.....

Reply #128
Hope I'm wrong, but there is absolutly no way either Curnow will be playing this week!!.
The AFL couldn't afford to challenge this and lose.

I'm still stunned how much 'outrage' this has stirred up in the media.. no bigger issues in this country!!??
Shame they are not as passionate about power prices etc.

I think it Frank Sinatra that said on leaving Australia... "Australia has too many journalists, not enough news".

Reply #129

Wasn't he the one responsible for evening up and knocking out Leigh Mathews behind play following Mathews king hitting Bruns of Geelong in 85? Good pedigree in the hitting dept but I guess not against an umpire.  ::)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #130
Yep its Steve...is it right that Hocking has the power to ratify all tribunal decisions hence making him the defacto tribunal?

Someone from the AFL has to decide if/when to appeal, i believe he is in charge of that.
He doesn't get to decide their fate on appeal though.

He does have a lot of power.

Unlike many on here, i don't think its an agenda against the Navy Blue.

My gut feel, without my navy blue glasses, was that Charlie should've got off, and give the hawkins precedent, ed should get a week.

Keep in mind, that gut feel is based on the comments from the AFL re Hawkins incident.
In reality, i think Ed should get off but based on precedent though, ed will go.

Reply #131
Good test for the President...where is MLG?..........I'm sure Jeffrey Kennett would have been all over the AFL by now.....

Yes our silence all day long has been deafening!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #132
Yes our silence all day long has been deafening!

I hadn't noticed that.  ;D
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #133
Wasn't he the one responsible for evening up and knocking out Leigh Mathews behind play following Mathews king hitting Bruns of Geelong in 85? Good pedigree in the hitting dept but I guess not against an umpire.  ::)

A touch before my time, but i seem to remember him being in some kind of incident of note...that may have been it.

Reply #134
So the AFL is saying the AFL Tribunal is incompetent.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time