Skip to main content
Topic: Shaun Marsh - a ton. (Read 17103 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Shaun Marsh - a ton.

Reply #60
Its all well and good to attack Smith's captaincy and his decision re the follow on but that is all covering up for the fact that the useless bastards who call themselves batsmen had us bowling again 3 hours and 150 runs before we should have been.

Smith didn't lose this test - the top 7 did.

As for the verbal rubbish, Root is a hypocritical, deadest flog and the best way to deal with that is to ignore him and not engage in any banter.  As the saying goes, never get into an argument with an idiot...

I would have played Sayers in this test as I am finding the current triumvirate of quicks underwhelming.  They already look tired.  Hazelwood is lacking penetration and Starc needs to start taking top end wickets and serving up less trash. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #61
England were playing for a draw, our batting has given them an opportunity to win, the decisions to follow-on or not is irrelevant. Nobody can predict what would have happened.

Just 48hrs ago everyone was calling Root a goose for bowling, by the logic that is used to criticise Smith we would have to now assume Root is a genius! All that does is cover up a crap batting display!

The all out for 150 could have come on day 3 or the last day, either way we'd be dealing England a chance in a match that should have been an Aussie win or draw but never a potential loss!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #62
All out for 138 chasing on the last day would have been worst chase IMO...  that would cause long term scars.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #63
All out for 138 chasing on the last day would have been worst chase IMO...  that would cause long term scars.

This result win or lose has already caused problems, the England bowlers are going to be chock full of confidence for the remainder of the series. If they win their batsmen will come good as well.

We basically won in Brisbane off the back of England bowling a load of rubbish, we've managed to fix that up!

Watching Australia play test cricket is like watching Carlton play AFL, the both have a unique ability to restore an otherwise crap opponent to good form!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
Hazelwood gets more treatment as the batsman tend to pick him as the easier quick to hit out of the three.....he bowls more full and isnt as quick.
Also tends not to use the bouncer as much and as you say doesnt swing it like Anderson...
We lack a fifth bowler who can come on and do some of the monkey work stuff which also doesnt help Hazelwood who ends up doing that role....
Overall seems down on confidence too...his batting has gone to crape,  and even in the field he seems slower to react...needs to get nastier with the ball....

Hazlewood has bowled a number of balls mid 140s and bowls the best bouncer of all of them.
Starc needs to pull his finger out. More natural talent than all of them but just lumbers in half the time.
Starc is quite possibly dumber than Mitchell Johnson
Two captains have made terrible decisions.
I love smith but that decision will haunt him forever if we lose this test.
Hopefully he made the decision, if not he should resign

Reply #65
Hazlewood has bowled a number of balls mid 140s and bowls the best bouncer of all of them.
Starc needs to pull his finger out. More natural talent than all of them but just lumbers in half the time.

I agree with most, but as much as I am a critique of Smith's captaincy I can't blame him for that decision not to enforce the follow on. 8 out of 10 captains would have immediately done the same thing, and the other two are lying.

The "Starc Condition" as some of my associates refer to it is a massive problem. The difference between "The Good Starc" and "The Other Starc" is enormous, and we see the effect it has on the bowlers at the other end. Hazlewood struggles when Starc is off because the pressure is released, when the pressure is maintained at the other end Hazlewood is possibly our best bowler, but when the batsmen start to free up Hazlewood is the easiest to get hold off.

Last night as I watched the final sessions the commentators waffled on for hours about the lack of movement, whether the ball was a good or bad one, if the temperature was too hot or too cold, if the wind was blowing too strong or from the wrong direction, how the humidity had changed, wah, wah, wah. But anyone who has played cricket could tell the ball was leaving the hands of the Aussie pacemen with the seam heavily scrambled. It was just shi1te bowling compared to the England bowlers earlier in the day, with Anderson bowling the seam left his hand like it was a Frisbee!

Don't blame the ball you spuds, get the basics right!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #66
I agree with most, but as much as I am a critique of Smith's captaincy I can't blame him for that decision not to enforce the follow on. 8 out of 10 captains would have immediately done the same thing, and the other two are lying.

I think you have made that star up.
I have not spoken to anyone since or before that thought it was the way to go.
Dumbest thing he has done as captain and almost as dumb as Root choosing to bowl

Reply #67
7 for 188.

Dusted.

Thankfully.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #68

As far as the follow-on went, bowlers are tired, injury prone, it's a 5 Tests series so you don't want to kill them. Never would've been fresh enough to do what England did. If they got 400 because our bowlers were tired then we'd have an unnecessary tricky chase. We were 215 in front so even a crape score was putting the game out of their reach, as we saw. No good killing our best assets. Me, i've always been anti- follow on anyway. I just think it's giving a sucker an even break.

Agree on Starc but reckon Cummins bowls our best bouncer but, yes, Hazelwood's a gun.

Reply #69
Who needed a follow-on...lol.

Smashed them!

Overnight they were able to settle themselves then come out and play great cricket.

Reply #70
I think you have made that star up.
I have not spoken to anyone since or before that thought it was the way to go.
Dumbest thing he has done as captain and almost as dumb as Root choosing to bowl

I've played and captained plenty of 3 and 4 day cricket, I cannot think of a captain I respect that would have enforced the follow on. Australia had made 442 on that pitch, and tired Aussie bowlers could have just as easily seen England bat through that initial night session and start the next day in warm conditions with very little movement and half the deficit lost. To enforce the follow-on you have to assume the pitch won't degrade into day 5, because you are going to be batting on it in the last day.

During the match it was clear the pitch seemed to be getting harder to bat on as each day past. Nobody has a crystal ball, you have to act on what you know has happened so far.

The critics will flip now we have won, the problem wasn't Smith's decision, it was a our crap 2nd Innings batting.

How lucky are we that we had Hazlewood, how lucky is Starc that we had Hazlewood?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #71
I've played and captained plenty of 3 and 4 day cricket, I cannot think of a captain I respect that would have enforced the follow on. Australia had made 442 on that pitch, and tired Aussie bowlers could have just as easily seen England bat through that initial night session and start the next day in warm conditions with very little movement and half the deficit lost. To enforce the follow-on you have to assume the pitch won't degrade into day 5, because you are going to be batting on it in the last day.

During the match it was clear the pitch seemed to be getting harder to bat on as each day past. Nobody has a crystal ball, you have to act on what you know has happened so far.

The critics will flip now we have won, the problem wasn't Smith's decision, it was a our crap 2nd Innings batting.

How lucky are we that we had Hazlewood, how lucky is Starc that we had Hazlewood?

I'm scared, we agree! Haha!

Reply #72
I'm scared, we agree! Haha!

All the experts are now saying we need an extra bowler for Perth to take 20 wickets, it's because they know we couldn't have enforced the follow on and Smith had to give them a break as part of a five test series. If we try to take 20 wickets in Perth with 3 pace bowlers and Lyon we'll be cooked for the last two tests.

IMHO, they are hypocrites, and they didn't mention the 2nd innings collapse once. Yet all of them struck it to Handscomb who's batting is probably better suited to Perth than any other wicket in the country.

I'd bring a pure bowler into replace Lyon, as the Perth pitch looks like it's dead for spinners, and let Cummins be the kickar5e All-Rounder. But the "experts" are calling for Mitch Marsh to replace Handscomb which I think is a big mistake.

I have no idea why Holland and Ahmed knocked over WA. I'm assuming spud batting is most likely the reason because in the end the Vics couldn't bowl them out a second time. In that shield match, 5 batsmen made 500 runs, batting isn't going to be a problem if the other pitches are like that one, but bowling a team out might be!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #73

Dont agree on the bouncer, reckon Starc bowls the best short stuff and is the more intimidating bowler, reckon Starc is just  laconic in his approach.
Dumber than Mitch Johnson...probably not possible, Starc can land most of his deliveries...
Agree on the captains, probably not the two smartest going around....got a bit of sympathy for Root though as he has a poor batting lineup, maybe even the worst English team
batting lineup ever..No 3 is meant to be your best batsman but Vince averages 22 at test level and you can sort of understand why Root wouldnt be backing that lineup to make runs and think about bowling first...

Root will begging the selectors to get Stokes across from NZ...wouldnt be surprised to see another quick on the way either, maybe Overton's twin brother if his back is better..

Reply #74
As far as the follow-on went, bowlers are tired, injury prone, it's a 5 Tests series so you don't want to kill them. Never would've been fresh enough to do what England did. If they got 400 because our bowlers were tired then we'd have an unnecessary tricky chase. We were 215 in front so even a crape score was putting the game out of their reach, as we saw. No good killing our best assets. Me, i've always been anti- follow on anyway. I just think it's giving a sucker an even break.

Agree on Starc but reckon Cummins bowls our best bouncer but, yes, Hazelwood's a gun.

It was 21deg and they hadn't bowled a heap of overs.
Just far too good an opportunity to pass up.