Skip to main content
Topic: Notre-Dame (Read 4188 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Notre-Dame

Reply #15
They'll just pump up the tithe from 10% to 20% for 6 months.....

I think too much interest in tithes has been a problem for a long time! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
It is an interesting position.  The French Government owns Notre Dame, not the Catholic Church.  The works and church are insured - although would need to see the outcome of the Insurance process.  $1b to renovate a church?  Seems like a lot.  I would imagine there will be caveats on the donations (the big ones).

It was/is an amazing building.  It will also be interesting to see if they rebuild to what it was, or build something modern instead.

Reply #17
It is an interesting position.  The French Government owns Notre Dame, not the Catholic Church.  The works and church are insured - although would need to see the outcome of the Insurance process.  $1b to renovate a church?  Seems like a lot.  I would imagine there will be caveats on the donations (the big ones).

It was/is an amazing building.  It will also be interesting to see if they rebuild to what it was, or build something modern instead.

Hardly relevant in answering how much has the Vatican chipped in....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #18

I heard an architect talking about repairing historical cathedrals after war damage, fire, etc and the examples he mentioned used modern/different materials to achieve a similar appearance.  He thought that it would be crazy to rebuild with timber. 

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #19
Quite relevant,  Fly.  If it is insured properly no one needs to put in a (Euro) cent.

If it isn't insured,  sure, let them chip in like everyone else.  Would  the amount need to be publicised? If so why?

Reply #20
Watching a report yesterday and it was saying that the some of the secrets of how the structure was really built are revealed for the first time and the rebuild will need careful consideration as to how modern techniques may be incorporated.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #21
Watching a report yesterday and it was saying that the some of the secrets of how the structure was really built are revealed for the first time and the rebuild will need careful consideration as to how modern techniques may be incorporated.

Are we still talking about Notre Dame or the Carlton Football Club ;D

Reply #23
It seems that the cause of the fire isn't as clear cut as was first thought:

Too soon?

I don't think so  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball