Skip to main content
Topic: RD 4 : Blues Beat Saints To Win The Cake-Tin !!  (Read 44163 times) previous topic - next topic

RD 4 : Blues Beat Saints To Win The Cake-Tin !!

So, there you have it. First victory of the year and its in NZ.

Slow start, but got it together and ran over the sainters.

Re: RD 4 : Blues Beat Saints To Win The Cake-Tin !!

Reply #1
Awful to watch, well most of it anyway.

Nice to come away with a win, we were expected to win this one but for a while, it looked like a disaster looming.

The lesson learnt out of today's game was PLAY THE YOUNG GUYS !!!!

Cripps was a sensation, Bell was a bull in the packs, Buckley was very good till injured and Boekhorst showed he may be a player. There are others to come in like Whiley etc so there is a future, just need get more players like them and in that age bracket into the playing list.

Young players will make some errors purely due to their inexperience but their zest & attack on the game is infectious and cannot be quelled !!
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #2
Awful to watch, well most of it anyway.

Nice to come away with a win, we were expected to win this one but for a while, it looked like a disaster looming.

Cripps was a sensation, Bell was a bull in the packs, Buckley was very good till injured and Boekhorst showed he may be a player. There are others to come in like Whiley etc so there is a future, just need get more players like them and in that age bracket into the playing list.

Young players will make some errors purely due to their inexperience but their zest & attack on the game is infectious and cannot be quelled !!

What this guy said.

Re: R4 - Carlton vs Saints @ NZ - (Post match party)

Reply #3
C'mon Kruddler, this win had nothing to do with Malthouse's coaching and more to do with the age and lack of experience of St Kilda.

Never said it did.
Just as i never said our losses where Micks fault.

All i'm saying is people were happy to bag out Mick and his gameplan and 'the house that mick built' ad nauseum throughout the first half. Do those same people who believe he was to blame for the first half think he is responsible for the turnaround in the 2nd?

They are all one-way. Bag him when something goes wrong. Silence when something goes right.

I'm not putting that win down to Mick. I'm putting it down to the players pulling their fingers out and doing what they are supposed to be doing every week. Of course it helped it was against the Saints, but put in the effort against any team and results will come.

Reply #4
We can not lose Henderson.  As much as I like Gibbs, if one of the two needs to be traded at season end it would be him. I'd rather keep them both though.

Reply #5
good signs, and 4 points is 4 points, whether it's against the Dawks or the Saints.

But we are still crap, only the Saints are more so.

Reply #6

No. Play the young guys when it is condusive to play them.

Injuries forced our hand somewhat, but it was the perfect time to play them.

If we play too many kids against the bigger bodied clubs, all that will happen is that our injury list will grow and some kids confidence will plummet.

Play them when you can. Today you could.

Reply #7
Had a 1pm, who turned it for us?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #8
Can I question the playing of the game in NZ?

Play that game here at Launceston and you get a 20K crowd which is a sell out, because of the support of Carlton, small trip for Melbourne supporters. Not the embarrassment of a half empty stadium on a day that should be a jewel in the AFLs crown.

Reply #9
Time to look forward now and the big positive I got was from our young talent led by Cripps, who looks like a star in the making. As Lachie said after the game, we are a work in progress - a week to week proposition. I guess we just have to be patient. I hope that if we are trading out senior players that Lachie is not one of them for starters, but we'll have to wait and see.

Yet again I have to say that Bell is definitely getting better, IMO.

OK, "only playing the Saints" but the other great thing today was that the boys fought it out to the very end and were obviously well motivated, even if their skills were not always the top shelf.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #10
Can I question the playing of the game in NZ?

You can question it, but i think its worth persisting with.

You don't think the crowd had something to do with the 2 teams playing and their recent form?

There were carlton folk who had tickets and were regretting having them!

Its good for the game to have a game in NZ. I'm happy to be a part of it.

Reply #11
Like a fine hemorrhoid cream that win brings relief.

Reply #13
I wasn't expecting us to go handball happy.  I wonder if it will be a feature of our game now or will we revert back to kick at all costs?

It is great to get a win but that was sounding doubtful in the first half - I listened to SEN's coverage.

Apart from the win and the form of some of our young and not so young players, Simpson's hit on Newnes was one of the most pleasing aspects of the game.  I hope other players take note and do the same to Murphy or Judd's tagger often and preferably earlier in the game.

It was good for Malthouse to get a win in his record breaking game!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #14
If ever Watson was to be presented with a golden opportunity to force his way into the senior team then Jones & Casboult have given it to him.

Jones finished with 1.3 and Casboult 0.0 even though he had two set shots at goal. If Watson had as many kicks for goal as those two combined I'm reasonably sure he would convert well over 50% of them.

If Watson cannot do enough to earn a place in the seniors now, his papers will be stamped for the end of the season clearance !!
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"