Skip to main content
Topic: RD 4 : Blues Beat Saints To Win The Cake-Tin !!  (Read 44977 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 4 : Blues Beat Saints To Win The Cake-Tin !!

Reply #150
C Judd will be a fair addition to that side.

Good to have him back but I dont want Cripps, Bell etc having lesser roles than they did vs the Saints...they
need to get used to life without Judd and take on more responsibility like they did vs Stkilda...

Reply #151
The small crowd in the bowl shaped venue offers some advantages when assessing a group.

Can anyone who was at the game give me some feedback on the level of talk, particularly from the newer players like Boekhorst, Cripps, Jones and Bell?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #152
The small crowd in the bowl shaped venue offers some advantages when assessing a group.

Can anyone who was at the game give me some feedback on the level of talk, particularly from the newer players like Boekhorst, Cripps, Jones and Bell?

Hendo, Armfield, Cripps, Simmo, Carrots all very vocal. In the first quarter you could hear lots of Aints players being vocal, our bunch were quiet. Gee Gibbs was soft in that first quarter. We were seated next to Kiwis who'd come along to enjoy the game, they had no allegiances. During the first quarter they were all commenting on how 'weak' no. 4 was. He really did squib it a number of times right in front of us.

Very poor marketing re our presence at the ground. I was amazed that walking to the ground and arriving at the ground, not one CFC flag/signage. Nothing to suggest we were playing. Fair enough it was an Aints home game, but fair suck of the sav. Mrs Baggers even commented how poor it was. I emailed the club offering to do what I could to drum up interest in the game via local media and Mrs Baggers was willing to get the organisation she works for (one of the biggest in Wellington) to have internal comps with tickets to the game as prizes... would have gotten at least another few hundred along... still waiting for a response. That was almost a month ago. The media promotion of the game was shizen. Little to no excitement created at all. Any wonder FA folks turned out to watch the game.

Great venue though with terrific visibility from just about anywhere... leaves Etihad for dead.

The strong swirly wind made it difficult for players, so if you were noticing lots of skill errors, especially early on (until they got used to it), it was probably due to the wind.

Jones doesn't work hard enough. I watched him a bit and he has lapses and goes missing. But when he does knuckle down he's good at he contest and pretty quick as well.

Armfield is more value than folks might realise. His ability to use his speed to get to contests / create contests is great.

And if there was 12,000 people there I will chew off my own legs. No more that about 7,000.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #153
Hendo, Armfield, Cripps, Simmo, Carrots all very vocal. In the first quarter you could hear lots of Aints players being vocal, our bunch were quiet. Gee Gibbs was soft in that first quarter. We were seated next to Kiwis who'd come along to enjoy the game, they had no allegiances. During the first quarter they were all commenting on how 'weak' no. 4 was. He really did squib it a number of times right in front of us.

Very poor marketing re our presence at the ground. I was amazed that walking to the ground and arriving at the ground, not one CFC flag/signage. Nothing to suggest we were playing. Fair enough it was an Aints home game, but fair suck of the sav. Mrs Baggers even commented how poor it was. I emailed the club offering to do what I could to drum up interest in the game via local media and Mrs Baggers was willing to get the organisation she works for (one of the biggest in Wellington) to have internal comps with tickets to the game as prizes... would have gotten at least another few hundred along... still waiting for a response. That was almost a month ago. The media promotion of the game was shizen. Little to no excitement created at all. Any wonder FA folks turned out to watch the game.

Great venue though with terrific visibility from just about anywhere... leaves Etihad for dead.

The strong swirly wind made it difficult for players, so if you were noticing lots of skill errors, especially early on (until they got used to it), it was probably due to the wind.

Jones doesn't work hard enough. I watched him a bit and he has lapses and goes missing. But when he does knuckle down he's good at he contest and pretty quick as well.

Armfield is more value than folks might realise. His ability to use his speed to get to contests / create contests is great.

And if there was 12,000 people there I will chew off my own legs. No more that about 7,000.

Thanks Baggers, great to get a live perspective, so much better value than relying on TV and Radio.

Terrific to hear that Cripps is vocal, my Perth contact tells me Boekhorst will be the same once he settles in.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #154
Not good to hear that our Captain wasn't among those eing vocal.
He led by example with a good game and plenty of contested ball winning, but he seems to be from the Judd school of Captaining rather than the Jono Brown school.

Reply #155
i was there to good venue easy access but that wind was cold. At the game once saints tired we got on top (young side),against coll we have to stop there run out of our fwd line  we have to pressure there defenders .

Reply #156
Not good to hear that our Captain wasn't among those eing vocal.
He led by example with a good game and plenty of contested ball winning, but he seems to be from the Judd school of Captaining rather than the Jono Brown school.

Not that he wasn't Dommi, just not hugely so. Don't worry, he had plenty to say out there. Just that Hendo, Armfield and Simmo really strike you as being the vocal generals.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #157
Until you have better players that bring the pressure that Ellard and Armfield bring then you have to play them otherwise we get slaughtered like we did in round 2.

That's what i've been saying. Part of Mick and changing the culture is getting players to play with heart and selflessness. Thats the reason Ellard was kept instead of McLean. Thats the reason blokes like Army still get a game.

Once we get our prettyboys playing like those blokes, they will no longer be required.

Reply #158
Did anyone else notice that Bell's disposal efficiency was 100% and that he made no critical errors?  Of course, he also kicked 4 goals, had a hand in two others and threw his weight around. 

That won't stop some folk calling for him to be dropped and/or traded  ::)

Mate, if he played like that every week, he'd win the brownlow.

As carrots said, thats the exception, not the rule.

Reply #159
Mate, if he played like that every week, he'd win the brownlow.

As carrots said, thats the exception, not the rule.

Not if Henderson, Murphy and Cripps play like they did too  :)

I think we focus too much on negatives, hence my post to even the ledger.  I guess that's the nature of supporters' discussion groups.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #160
Not if Henderson, Murphy and Cripps play like they did too  :)

I think we focus too much on negatives, hence my post to even the ledger.  I guess that's the nature of supporters' discussion groups.

...and you guys wonder why i stick up for Mick.

Reply #161
...and you guys wonder why i stick up for Mick.

Lost cause Kruddler  ;)

I certainly agree that Malthouse should be given credit where it's due and he had a very good weekend in the coaching box and in his press conference.  Baggers said that he spoke well when he addressed the crowd and that's another tick.  Hopefully, he will back up next weekend.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball