Skip to main content
Topic: Round 9: Carlton vs. Sydney Post Game Pain (Read 62984 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 9: Carlton vs. Sydney Post Game Pain

Reply #90
Obviously the problem is that if Hendos playing chb then who is he kicking to ?

The CHB Henderson would not kick it to the CHF Henderson cause he can't mark it.

We need cool seniors heads in the back line to give leadership and steadiness, Henderson has always played better at CHB and if Baker has half a brain that's where he'll play him.

Reply #91
The CHB Henderson would not kick it to the CHF Henderson cause he can't mark it.

We need cool seniors heads in the back line to give leadership and steadiness, Henderson has always played better at CHB and if Baker has half a brain that's where he'll play him.

x2

Reply #92
Was at the game live so hopefully can add something different.

Jones - just putrid. Watched him closely for the 1st half as I had not seen him live before. He has no idea where to run to lead so basically clogs the forward line. Never looked like taking a mark, goes to ground, and then gets up and either walks or jogs off looking for his man. Intensity level of zero. Just embarrassing that our recruiters thought he could play.
Surely KJ is a better bet and might learn something if played up forward.

Tutt - tries really hard and runs to position but panics under pressure and not good in the contest. Either play him up forward or not at all.

Armfield - gives effort but his turnovers and decisions kill you and nothing has changed for 4 years. Time to move on and give others a chance.

Walker - started forward but never looked like it. His glory years appear well and truly past. Has lost his natural athleticism that was the key to his game. This often made up for the fact that he has poor foot skills, not a good decision maker and poor tackler / contested ball winner. Like many on here I think he is a shot duck.

Henderson - tried pretty hard and spent a lot of time talking to his team mates, and is clearly an on field leader. I just think his injuries mean that he doesn't have the speed or endurance to play key position. He can't get separation on his opponent and they close on him easily. I think he has therefore lost confidence in his marking. I don't really know what else they can do other than keep playing him and hope he regains fitness, speed and some form.

Daisy - in a team desperate for skill and polish he actually has some, but doesn't do anywhere near enough. Seagulls too much for mine. Has good intent and makes pretty good decisions when he has the ball, he just needs to get the ball about 10 more times per game to make a difference. He is the cream, but we paid for the cake!

Carrazzo - surely gone at the end of the year. Gets a bit of the ball, but no zip and doesn't hurt with his possessions. Looked to be struggling with the pace of the game a lot of the time. A great servant, but well past his best now. Thanks for the memories.

Menzel - again never looked like making an impact. Doesn't have the pace and fitness to play high half forward, and doesn't have the pace and evasion for the small forward role either. Just hope it's his injury that is restricting him as he gave us nothing.

Yarran - weaknesses are glaring, but he still has more speed, poise and polish then any other player out there. In an ordinary team his weaknesses are always going to be exposed.

Everrit - very laconic but at least he kept battling away. He has skill, size and speed so he stands out against his team mates, but is therefore frustrating. You would love him as your bottom 5 depth player, but we need him to be much more than that. His career has shown he is what he is, and that's not likely to change, but he was still better than most last night.

Rowe & White - good honest battlers who are simply punching out of their weight. They are State league level players. I love that they try and they care, but I hate that our recruiting means that they are the best we have to play FB & CHB.

Bell - my greatest fear is we produce another Armfield or Robbo with this guy. Hasn't seemed to improve on his glaring weaknesses and brain fades over the last 2 years.

Graham - tried hard and doesn't panic. Should get a clear run of 10 games to see if he improves. Need to play him over carrots IMO.

The first thing we have to do is get rid of Tutt, Jones and Armfield and play KJ, BB and Whiley for the balance we made our bed with these 3 picks so we have to try and make it work.

But make no mistake - our skill level is shockingly bad. The swans never got out second gear and hardly raised a sweat to beat us by 10. Yes our effort was better than last week, but we have only about 10 players right now would get a regular game with most other teams.

We can win clearances, but we have no damaging mids. We have no forward line to speak of, and our defence is a laughing stock - we have no KP back men. The list has got holes you can drive truck through, so the rebuild will be a long and hard road, and not one we as a club have ever shown any aptitude at.

Other than Cripps I left last night thinking we have a very bleak future ahead.

Reply #93
Was at the game live so hopefully can add something different.

Jones - just putrid. Watched him closely for the 1st half as I had not seen him live before. He has no idea where to run to lead so basically clogs the forward line. Never looked like taking a mark, goes to ground, and then gets up and either walks or jogs off looking for his man. Intensity level of zero. Just embarrassing that our recruiters thought he could play.
Surely KJ is a better bet and might learn something if played up forward.

Tutt - tries really hard and runs to position but panics under pressure and not good in the contest. Either play him up forward or not at all.

Armfield - gives effort but his turnovers and decisions kill you and nothing has changed for 4 years. Time to move on and give others a chance.

Walker - started forward but never looked like it. His glory years appear well and truly past. Has lost his natural athleticism that was the key to his game. This often made up for the fact that he has poor foot skills, not a good decision maker and poor tackler / contested ball winner. Like many on here I think he is a shot duck.

Henderson - tried pretty hard and spent a lot of time talking to his team mates, and is clearly an on field leader. I just think his injuries mean that he doesn't have the speed or endurance to play key position. He can't get separation on his opponent and they close on him easily. I think he has therefore lost confidence in his marking. I don't really know what else they can do other than keep playing him and hope he regains fitness, speed and some form.

Daisy - in a team desperate for skill and polish he actually has some, but doesn't do anywhere near enough. Seagulls too much for mine. Has good intent and makes pretty good decisions when he has the ball, he just needs to get the ball about 10 more times per game to make a difference. He is the cream, but we paid for the cake!

Carrazzo - surely gone at the end of the year. Gets a bit of the ball, but no zip and doesn't hurt with his possessions. Looked to be struggling with the pace of the game a lot of the time. A great servant, but well past his best now. Thanks for the memories.

Menzel - again never looked like making an impact. Doesn't have the pace and fitness to play high half forward, and doesn't have the pace and evasion for the small forward role either. Just hope it's his injury that is restricting him as he gave us nothing.

Yarran - weaknesses are glaring, but he still has more speed, poise and polish then any other player out there. In an ordinary team his weaknesses are always going to be exposed.

Everrit - very laconic but at least he kept battling away. He has skill, size and speed so he stands out against his team mates, but is therefore frustrating. You would love him as your bottom 5 depth player, but we need him to be much more than that. His career has shown he is what he is, and that's not likely to change, but he was still better than most last night.

Rowe & White - good honest battlers who are simply punching out of their weight. They are State league level players. I love that they try and they care, but I hate that our recruiting means that they are the best we have to play FB & CHB.

Bell - my greatest fear is we produce another Armfield or Robbo with this guy. Hasn't seemed to improve on his glaring weaknesses and brain fades over the last 2 years.

Graham - tried hard and doesn't panic. Should get a clear run of 10 games to see if he improves. Need to play him over carrots IMO.

The first thing we have to do is get rid of Tutt, Jones and Armfield and play KJ, BB and Whiley for the balance we made our bed with these 3 picks so we have to try and make it work.

But make no mistake - our skill level is shockingly bad. The swans never got out second gear and hardly raised a sweat to beat us by 10. Yes our effort was better than last week, but we have only about 10 players right now would get a regular game with most other teams.

We can win clearances, but we have no damaging mids. We have no forward line to speak of, and our defence is a laughing stock - we have no KP back men. The list has got holes you can drive truck through, so the rebuild will be a long and hard road, and not one we as a club have ever shown any aptitude at.

Other than Cripps I left last night thinking we have a very bleak future ahead.

Nice post Syd.

good to see that great minds think alike ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

Reply #94
Nic - the thing that I really struggle with is if it's as glaringly obvious to me (and you) who played at a decent level but am now just a supporter watching from afar, why can't the blokes who run the club football operations full time and live and breath it not see it??

The fact that jones, white and Rowe are 3 of our 5 'talls' last night is a sign of incompetence of the highest order in list management and recruiting. You could bring Jesus Christ in next year to coach and we will still be bottom 4, because we have so many players who are now either past their best (jamo, Judd, carrots, kruz, walker, simmo) or are never going to make it as even decent afl level players. When Judd retires the gold standard for determination, desperation and hunger to win will be lost from the club - and even with the best player of his era we couldn't make it to the top 4. I have been a passionate supporter for over 35 years but am more pessimistic today than I have ever been.

I have watched Sydney belt us up here the last 3 times we have played them, and last night it was like watching the u17's play the u13's. They are playing a different sport to us and we are light years away from being competitive with the good sides when you look at what's coming through our recruiting.

Reply #95

I may be able to respect him as a player (it's getting harder), but as a person I think he is not something I would want anyone to emulate. (Completely agree. It has nothing to do with race either)
[/color]
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #96
I really don't see it. Why does everyone dislike him?

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #97
Why have the media only decided it's unfair to boo Goodes and Jobe?

Judd gets booed. Yarran got booed by Cats fans last week. Greg Williams got booed every week.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #98
........a portion of the those booers are definitely racist and those that aren't are providing a cover for them. Just disgraceful.

You don't seriously believe that do you? OMFG........

So what you're saying is that there are a number of AFL supporters who go to games and boo aboriginals no matter who they play for??? 'Cos that's exactly what you're implying.....and if you are, that is quite possibly the most ridiculous comment I've ever seen on this site. Period.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #99
You don't seriously believe that do you? OMFG........

So what you're saying is that there are a number of AFL supporters who go to games and boo aboriginals no matter who they play for??? 'Cos that's exactly what you're implying.....and if you are, that is quite possibly the most ridiculous comment I've ever seen on this site. Period.

I think I was pretty clear Brettie. Those who boo give the opportunity for racists to boo, and there are plenty out there. Pretty sure one of our own made a pretty racist comment in the in-game thread. If there's one among 50 or so with us how many in a crowd of 40,000?

Why do you think he is booed?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #100
I think I was pretty clear Brettie. Those who boo give the opportunity for racists to boo, and there are plenty out there. Pretty sure one of our own made a pretty racist comment in the in-game thread. If there's one among 50 or so with us how many in a crowd of 40,000?

Why do you think he is booed?

I think he gets boo'd for the same reason you do carrots...
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #101
Hawthorn mate who was there at the Hawks vs Swans game  says he gets booed because he stages for free kicks, is an umpires pet but isnt adverse to the odd sly hit or taking the legs of another player out...choice I know given Hodge/Lewis etc are right up there in terms of sly hits.
Said they also didnt like his work as Australian of the year and reckon he is a whinger.......

Thought our fans treated him ok and his warrior dance didnt bother me too much even though it worked up a few boneheads in the crowd, I'm sure it was in repsone to the Hawks booing even though he denies it....I know he has been on the racist end of some stuff but he hasnt got the same likeable persona of say a Michael Long who seems to be able to get his point across on a range of issues and get everyone onside...
Been a champion of the game and I hope he can win over the crowds and go out a winner off the field too.....bit of a smile everynow and then might help him...

Reply #102
The issue of racism is a blight on humanity. It has existed since time immemorial, and will probably exist forever.

The issue of some dude on a footy field doing a dance is of no consequence at all. 

Reply #103
The issue of racism is a blight on humanity. It has existed since time immemorial, and will probably exist forever.

The issue of some dude on a footy field doing a dance is of no consequence at all.

Nicky Winmar found it hard to cop and showed he was sensitive and I think the elements of the crowd pick up and feed on that, Goodes is similar  to Winmar IMO...you look at Eddie Betts and how he engages the crowd, his big smiling face etc  and its not an issue...

Reply #104
Hawthorn mate who was there at the Hawks vs Swans game  says he gets booed because he stages for free kicks, is an umpires pet but isnt adverse to the odd sly hit or taking the legs of another player out...choice I know given Hodge/Lewis etc are right up there in terms of sly hits.
Said they also didnt like his work as Australian of the year and reckon he is a whinger.......

Thought our fans treated him ok and his warrior dance didnt bother me too much even though it worked up a few boneheads in the crowd, I'm sure it was in repsone to the Hawks booing even though he denies it....I know he has been on the racist end of some stuff but he hasnt got the same likeable persona of say a Michael Long who seems to be able to get his point across on a range of issues and get everyone onside...
Been a champion of the game and I hope he can win over the crowds and go out a winner off the field too.....bit of a smile everynow and then might help him...

Yep, I reckon Goodes' main issue with the crowds is that he comes across as a bit dour, seems  aloof, and doesn't seem to connect with everyday people very well. I saw him once in a roadside servo/coffee shop in Tailem Bend of all places and he didn't seem that keen to say g'day to people. A "serious" type, personality-wise.
Reality always wins in the end.