Skip to main content
Topic: Round 9: Carlton vs. Sydney Post Game Pain (Read 62974 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 9: Carlton vs. Sydney Post Game Pain

Reply #135
I was at the game sitting right above the cheer squad .Whenever Goodes went for the ball they booed him ,so what big deal.He ( Goodes ) thought he would be a smart arse and do a war dance in front  of the 200 odd Carlton supporters ,sitting there .I thought he was a bit childish ,I dare him to do the war dance in front of Carlton  Scum,Filth,Tigers supperters in Melbourne ,   

Reply #136
If Yarran had done the dance towards the Sydney crowd no doubt you'd all be just as scathing?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #137
The Goodes thing has been done to death and I think Lod's post got it mostly right, in that the timing was probably poor on his part but there wasn't anything   wrong with what he did.
I must admit that watching it on TV I was bemused, I didn't know where it had come from and thought WTF was that about, but I didn't find it offensive or confrontational,  just a bit odd.
Having said that,  my nephew is a yobbo and I was looking at his Facebook feed yesterday.
The comments about Goodes by him and his yobbo mates are deeply racist and offensive, so anyone who thinks that racism is a peripheral issue here or that some of the criticism of Goodes isn't racially motivated is kidding them self in my opinion.
Deep down we each know where we stand and this isn't the place to make assumptions,  but unless we admit that racism is a very real part of the attitude for a significant minority of our society we can never do anything to address it.
Just my two bob's worth.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #138
What a yawn this whole discussion is.

He did something towards fans that was pretty aggressive and shouldnt be tolerated, as any other act.

The fact that it was indigenous is secondary.

It's not like he fly kicked someone. Plugger's spearing kicks into the opposition cheer squads were a bit far but I see no problem with gestures and the like. It shows the player isn't 100% on the game mentally though and as a coach I wouldn't be pleased

Reply #139
The Goodes thing has been done to death and I think Lod's post got it mostly right, in that the timing was probably poor on his part but there wasn't anything   wrong with what he did.
I must admit that watching it on TV I was bemused, I didn't know where it had come from and thought WTF was that about, but I didn't find it offensive or confrontational,  just a bit odd.
Having said that,  my nephew is a yobbo and I was looking at his Facebook feed yesterday.
The comments about Goodes by him and his yobbo mates are deeply racist and offensive, so anyone who thinks that racism is a peripheral issue here or that some of the criticism of Goodes isn't racially motivated is kidding them self in my opinion.
Deep down we each know where we stand and this isn't the place to make assumptions,  but unless we admit that racism is a very real part of the attitude for a significant minority of our society we can never do anything to address it.
Just my two bob's worth.

And Goodes has just been trying to highlight that, and for those reasons he gets a hard time. It's like people are saying 'we can accept you for being Indigenous but don't you dare point out that we are racist for you no longer will be accepted nor tolerated'.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #140
Why is that when Goodes says something it is "taking a stand" but if something is said that isn't 100% Goodes' agenda it's "racism"?

Personally I think what he did was ill considered and came across as little more than an attempt to taunt fans.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #141
And Goodes has just been trying to highlight that, and for those reasons he gets a hard time. It's like people are saying 'we can accept you for being Indigenous but don't you dare point out that we are racist for you no longer will be accepted nor tolerated'.

No one is ever completely comfortable having a mirror placed in front of their face PI2C,  none of us are perfect.
For what it's worth I largely agree with your sentiments and admire Goodes as a person,  but in this case I concede that not all of the criticism of his actions are racially motivated.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #142
The fact Goodes directed his dance toward the Carlton fans says to me a fair bit about his intentions.
If he was simply trying to celebrate the Indigenous round, why not celebrate with your own teams fans?
Of all the times on the night that he could have chosen to do something like that, (ie before the game started, or to celebrate the win after the game, surely he wasn't afraid of losing), why choose to do it in the heat of battle and directed at opposition supporters?
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #143
If Yarran had done the dance towards the Sydney crowd no doubt you'd all be just as scathing?

Yarran does not have an aggressive bone in his body.    :P

Reply #144

He would not be cut the same slack that Goodes is getting, Ch.7 would smash Yarran and the AFL would get on board as well! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #145
What Nicky Winmar and Michael Long have done for their cause has gone down in history and will always be respected by most. Goode's dance does not compare favorably as witnessed by many of the views on this thread.

Reply #146
The fact Goodes directed his dance toward the Carlton fans says to me a fair bit about his intentions.
If he was simply trying to celebrate the Indigenous round, why not celebrate with your own teams fans?
Of all the times on the night that he could have chosen to do something like that, (ie before the game started, or to celebrate the win after the game, surely he wasn't afraid of losing), why choose to do it in the heat of battle and directed at opposition supporters?

Exactly my perception as well. If it -- his dance -- was so full of pride and respect why not direct it at his own fans... or at least them as well as us. As unpopular a comment as this might be, I cannot help but wonder if Goodes uses his aboriginality at times for, or to disguise, less than noble intentions.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #147
Exactly my perception as well. If it -- his dance -- was so full of pride and respect why not direct it at his own fans... or at least them as well as us. As unpopular a comment as this might be, I cannot help but wonder if Goodes uses his aboriginality at times for, or to disguise, less than noble intentions.

It's a war dance so doing it at his own fans is a waste. That's what a war dance is doing it towards the opposition. Probably should've said he was going to do it if he kicked a goal. That would've been better, would've been expected and better appreciated.

In reality though it's a real "who cares". Not sure why we are wasting so much air and newspaper space on something so minor and trivial.

Reply #149
Yarran does not have an aggressive bone in his body.    :P

I think there is a scum player that will disagree with that.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.