Skip to main content
Topic: Scotto To Play On If Body Permits (Read 6824 times) previous topic - next topic

Scotto To Play On If Body Permits

Carlton's Heath Scotland has ruled out reaching 300 AFL games – but says he would like to play on next year if his body is up to it.

The 33-year-old has 262 games under his belt already, but has told radio FIVEaa the future is uncertain.

"No I won't get to 300," Scotland said. "I'm not sure about next year, I've left it with Mick at the moment and we will sit down once the season is finished.

"To be honest I would like to go on, but I have a few things to go through to make sure the body is sound next year."

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2013-08-30/scotland-not-aiming-for-300

I don't think we can afford to lose him ATM with the lack of leadership at the club.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Re: Scotto To Play On If Body Permits

Reply #1
Love to see him play on.

If /when he does stop playing senior footy love to see him as the Capt / Coach of the NBs.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #2
He's going OK, be excellent if he stayed another year, if his fitness is good.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #3
I remember Bryce Gibbs said when he first got to the club he always stayed close to Scotto when training because he was the best trainer at the club. If that's the sort of example he's still setting then we really need him to stay on. One of the few players in the team ATM that does not ever shirk the issue.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #4
This guy is a keeper for certain. I would not be discussing whether he might play. I would be demanding he does and then has a role in the development of new players as a n assistant. He has served the club as much as any other player. He is just what the club needs long term. Work rate and work ethic are forgotten arts in footy. Please help us Scotto and stay on for another season and then help us move forward after that. Its a real shame you started your life with the filth.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #5
Tell him to retire, no point hanging on to him now, been a good servant, time to make room for someone else.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #6
@sheik... Who? It's not like we have such depth that guys are knocking the door down to get his spot.

Needs to stay for the extra year. Far from our worst player and will allow some of the young numpties to have more time to develop.
The other thing for me is that if we lose Scotland, we may as well cement Gibbs in the halfback role for the forseeable future as we don't really have anyone else to play that role.

Reply #7
@sheik... Who? It's not like we have such depth that guys are knocking the door down to get his spot.

It's not a case of who our depth is, he doesn't have that much more to offer us.

Based on the fact that we are about to enter a rebuild phase, we are better off making space on the list for a good young guy and get some games into him as soon as we can.

Keeping Scotland (and Waite for that matter) is not going to help us in the long-term. 

Reply #8
Scotty has to retire at seasons end.

Getting caught and too slow this year.

The way our club works it would not surprise me sticks and swan extend him which would be a disaster.

Reply #9
It's a very tough call to make. There's been times this year when I've been certain he should retire, then just as many times when I've thought we can't afford to have him retire....

Cons: his reaction time has slowed this year, as has his agility.

Pros: still an excellent user of the footy & generally chooses the right option. Still one of the few blokes who show genuine leadership out on the field. Still pretty reliable when the heat is on. Still very durable.

Considering all the spuds who may potentially be let-go come year's end, I don't see the harm in Scotto getting one more year out of his body.....if he's able to do so.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #10
I can't help but think these comments will come back to bite scotland on the butt when it becomes clear that he may no longer be in the clubs future plans.

If it was me, i'd keep him on next year. Not sure the club believes the same thing, but got nothing to go on other than a hunch.

Reply #11
Wont be in our next premiership team  and has to make way for a younger player IMO........is one of my favourites and I love his kicking on both feet but needs to retire so we can blood the next Scotland...

Reply #12
Keep him next season and give him the respect he deserves. That doesn't mean he  demands a game but if form and physicality take their toll he should be given a mentor role that could be played in the NB's.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #13
Wont be in our next premiership team  and has to make way for a younger player IMO........is one of my favourites and I love his kicking on both feet but needs to retire so we can blood the next Scotland...

Here here !!!

Reply #14
You are a hero Scott,
should be captain of NB and free up the list space.
We need you around the club, but too long in the tooth mate!